Getting very frustrated at Dapol failures

Started by Rabbitaway, May 06, 2016, 08:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidinyork

Quote from: Snowwolflair on May 08, 2016, 03:37:19 PM
Quote from: davidinyork on May 08, 2016, 03:31:26 PM
I would add to that the point that with the bad circuit boards they can run OK for a brief shop demonstration, then when you get them home and run them in they grind to a halt with a burning smell after ten minutes!

Reading the many threads this is not the big problem.  Out of box failure and longer term (+100 hours) failures seem to be the big problems.  Not that ten minute failures don't happen, but personally I don't buy from any retailer not willing to run it for a while, if i'm committing to buy.

The local model shop nearest me only has a short straight test track, so that isn't really practical.

I've had several which have developed faults after a short amount of running-in.

Chris Morris

I find this thread quite scary and, if I was about to start in n gauge I probably wouldn't having read this.
I have circa 25 locos and the only problem I have so far is keeping the pick ups clean so they run well at low speeds. I have a Western with issues relating to power pick up but I think this is now ok and have had to re-solder the loco to tender wires on pretty much every dapol steamer. Apart from that I am happy so far. Have I just been lucky?
Oh and a farish GWR railcar bought off eBay was ropey and then became a non runner.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Waz

It's an interesting issue testing locos in shops before buying them, recently I've been in Spain and visited a very good model shop in Madrid, and brought some fleischmann n gauge locos, they tested them in the shop with out me asking and although I couldn't see a fault with the first one ey swapped it as they were not happy with how it ran. Best of all they spoke perfect English and were very helpful. I guess it all comes down to how much a shop knows its products and how worried they are about customer service. As for a shop a few sets of rolling roads wouldn't be a bad investment as allows for longer testing period without taking up extra space in the shop.

austinbob

Quote from: davidinyork on May 08, 2016, 03:44:39 PM
Quote from: Snowwolflair on May 08, 2016, 03:37:19 PM
Quote from: davidinyork on May 08, 2016, 03:31:26 PM
I would add to that the point that with the bad circuit boards they can run OK for a brief shop demonstration, then when you get them home and run them in they grind to a halt with a burning smell after ten minutes!

Reading the many threads this is not the big problem.  Out of box failure and longer term (+100 hours) failures seem to be the big problems.  Not that ten minute failures don't happen, but personally I don't buy from any retailer not willing to run it for a while, if i'm committing to buy.

The local model shop nearest me only has a short straight test track, so that isn't really practical.

I've had several which have developed faults after a short amount of running-in.
My local model railway shop only has a short, straight test track... but I have to say if it runs straight away out of the box, backwards and forwards a couple of times, then its probably good to go.
Most of my failures are at first attempt to run the loco.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

DELETED

These type of threads have prevented me from buying Dapol locos so far (though the paint jobs on the diesels I like usually look awful anyway).  Their rolling stock seems good, weirdly though I find it never stays coupled so I have no Dapol wagons either now.

...It keeps coming up and over and over again but I fear nobody from Dapol (or Farish) has any presence here.  Need to write to the magazines or post-up on RMWEB which I presume is where the two big manufacturers monitor.

Chris Morris

Quote from: RST on May 08, 2016, 08:34:03 PM
These type of threads have prevented me from buying Dapol locos so far (though the paint jobs on the diesels I like usually look awful anyway).  Their rolling stock seems good, weirdly though I find it never stays coupled so I have no Dapol wagons either now.

...It keeps coming up and over and over again but I fear nobody from Dapol (or Farish) has any presence here.  Need to write to the magazines or post-up on RMWEB which I presume is where the two big manufacturers monitor.

I'm happy with my dapol products. Everyone I have bought is currently in full working order. I have not had cause to return one (yet).

As for monitoring, Bachmann monitor forums but they don't get involved in postings. That would almost certainly lead to all sorts of problems and angry postings. Dapol will get reports back from forums even if they don't monitor them.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Snowwolflair

QuoteMost of my failures are at first attempt to run the loco.

Two of many possibilities, you have a poltergeist or SWIMBO is sabotaging them, they can be one and the same in some houses?  :D :-X

DELETED

QuoteAs for monitoring, Bachmann monitor forums but they don't get involved in postings. That would almost certainly lead to all sorts of problems and angry postings. Dapol will get reports back from forums even if they don't monitor them.

...I don't believe in that approach.  I'm really not sure everyone's gripes on here get noticed.  But if you want to go with the guy in the mag the other month with a full 1 page article, compare it to a brand new washing machine -all flashing lights, whistles and bells.  When yours brakes down, think yourself lucky it was just a Friday afternoon machine.  In fact its too cheap and we should have paid more for the privilege in the first place

austinbob

Quote from: Snowwolflair on May 08, 2016, 09:49:32 PM

Two of many possibilities, you have a poltergeist or SWIMBO is sabotaging them, they can be one and the same in some houses?  :D :-X
If that were proven I would be happier.  Unfortunately I'm sure it's down to poor quality.
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

austinbob

If that were proven I would be happier.  Unfortunately I'm sure it's down to poor quality.

Bob Austin

austinbob

Bob Austin

Snowwolflair

three repeats, definitely a poltergeist!

Les1952

I have listed most of the problems I have had with locos of all makes.

To put these in perspective I have a large fleet of DCC-fitted locos, mostly steam, the overwhelming majority of which run reliably for whole weekends at a time at exhibitions.  These include Dapol, Farish and Union Mills with a couple of Poole chassis also chipped and still running. Half a dozen problem children is still only 5% of the total.

I also have a smaller fleet (about 30) of analogue locos, again with the majority running without any issues- these include both Dapol and Farish plus a single unchipped Union Mills.

The third fleet is the Continental fleet- which for size of fleet (under 20) have been LESS reliable than the UK outline, with total motor failures, melted traction tyres, dropped valve gear, and as much locking up as the worst of Farish.  A mechanical or electrical failure rate approaching 50%.

I previously modelled US outline.  You mention Dapol's overheated circuit boards.  I've written off Atlas (Kato-made) and Intermountain diesels with melted bodies in the past, and again there are lemons to be had out there.

In N we have not had the total product recalls that have happened in OO.  We have also avoided the crumbling chassis blocks inflicting at least two OO makes, and nobody has yet pulled their entire remaining stocks of an expensive limited edition model to provide spare parts for the flood of returns they have had...

Les

Edit- NONE of the problems listed in OO have affected Dapol.  However they do cover THREE other makes.  I believe Dapol DID offer to change the DCC interface boards on one model when it was found the Chinese factory had supplied the wrong board.

austinbob

Quote from: Snowwolflair on May 08, 2016, 10:11:30 PM
three repeats, definitely a poltergeist!
Yeh that is a bit weird..
Don't know how that happened.  Creepy!!!
:hmmm:

Bob Austin

Les1952

Thinking about product recalls- there WAS one in N.

Ixion recalled and replaced their original Manor with one made to the correct scale.

This was despite a good number of punters handling the EPs at shows and going off muttering "its too b.... big" or words to that effect.  Did any of these guys actually then talk to Ixion?

Les

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations