fixing containers to conflat wagons

Started by austinbob, August 10, 2016, 07:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

austinbob

Apologies if this is the wrong category for this post..
I've just bought a Graham Farish triple pack of BR conflats 377-337 and very nice they are too, even if the price is through the roof!! Never bought a conflat before and didn't realise the containers were loose.
What have NGF members used to fix containers to their wagons - preferably temporarily. Blue tack? Copydex?  :hmmm: not quite sure what to do here. They certainly can't remain loose..
Help appreciated.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

zwilnik

the thin double sided sticky tape works well for that sort of stuff and can be rubbed off afterwards. Get the normal tape thickness stuff though, not the foam tape as that's usually a lot stronger, thicker and messier when removed ;)

austinbob

Quote from: Zwilnik on August 10, 2016, 07:30:45 PM
the thin double sided sticky tape works well for that sort of stuff and can be rubbed off afterwards. Get the normal tape thickness stuff though, not the foam tape as that's usually a lot stronger, thicker and messier when removed ;)
Great idea Zwilnik. I'll give it a try..
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

NeMo

I used BluTac for mine, and no sign of damage to paintwork.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

austinbob

Quote from: NeMo on August 10, 2016, 08:26:46 PM
I used BluTac for mine, and no sign of damage to paintwork.

Cheers, NeMo
I'll give that a try as well Nemo. Thanks..
OK I've got one stuck down with double sided sticky and another with blutac.
I need another answer for the 3rd - then I'll have a full set.  ;)

Bob Austin

port perran

I use Tacky Wax. Brilliant stuff which has been mentioned many times on this forum. Also very useful (as has been said many times before) for holding wagons/carriages together when you have a poor coupling.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

austinbob

Quote from: port perran on August 10, 2016, 08:45:55 PM
I use Tacky Wax. Brilliant stuff which has been mentioned many times on this forum. Also very useful (as has been said many times before) for holding wagons/carriages together when you have a poor coupling.
Thank you Sir!!
I now have a full set of 3 solutions to the problem. Thanks everyone.

Bob Austin

dannyboy

@austinbob You do realise of course what this means - you are now going to have to play trains test these solutions for hours, so that you can give a critical review of which is the best solution.  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Newportnobby

Quote from: dannyboy on August 10, 2016, 09:37:08 PM
@austinbob You do realise of course what this means - you are now going to have to play trains test these solutions for hours, so that you can give a critical review of which is the best solution.  ;)

And.........buy another set (with price through the roof) so you can try Gorilla Snot and another 2 probably distasteful suggestions you'll receive :laugh:

Railwaygun

White tack seems less likely to leave greasy marks ( and is stickier)
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

austinbob

Quote from: dannyboy on August 10, 2016, 09:37:08 PM
How could I possibly choose from the solutions from such highly esteemed experts. I'm sure that they are all equally good and require no testing on my part.
:) :beers:

Bob Austin

painbrook

PP, tacky wax for connecting wagons, never thought of that. john.

PWayman

Blu Tac is the modellers best friend.  !!!! invaluable for providing the 3rd hand for soldering, for attaching reed operating magnets under the loco, couplings, wagon load securing and numerous other functions !!!

DELETED

Quote from: PWayman on August 11, 2016, 08:29:50 PM
Blu Tac is the modellers best friend.  !!!! invaluable for providing the 3rd hand for soldering, for attaching reed operating magnets under the loco, couplings, wagon load securing and numerous other functions !!!

I agree with that.  Excellent for soldering and just holding things in place.  It does fail under heat but you allow for that.  It does leave an oily mark over time.  White tack is good but I find it harder, it doesn't leve much residue over time, but it goes brittle.

...There is of course Copydex or "Maskol".  I used to use Maskol to seal joints in very small R/C model boats which needed removing at some point, e.g. to charge batteries.  It's a really good sealer and usually rubbs off afterwards with fingertip pressure because it's latex.  Might be an option for you as it doesn'tattack the substrate.

I also use 3M never-set putty for various things, actually leftover rolls from my car bodywork days.  It's a bit like this stuff.  A little goes a long way, still sticky after 10 years...

http://uk.farnell.com/3m/2228-25mm/tape-scotch-mastic-25mm-x-3-03m/dp/2136638?CMP=KNC-GUK-GEN-SHOPPING-3M&gross_price=true&mckv=4m6mjnhq_dc|pcrid|78108292269|&gclid=CNL45IqQus4CFcMp0wodmNwERQ&CAWELAID=120173390000224698&CAAGID=14989734429&CATCI=pla-63760520568&CAGPSPN=pla

Rich

PaulCheffus

Quote from: austinbob on August 10, 2016, 07:28:38 PM
Apologies if this is the wrong category for this post..
I've just bought a Graham Farish triple pack of BR conflats 377-337 and very nice they are too, even if the price is through the roof!! Never bought a conflat before and didn't realise the containers were loose.
What have NGF members used to fix containers to their wagons - preferably temporarily. Blue tack? Copydex?  :hmmm: not quite sure what to do here. They certainly can't remain loose..
Help appreciated.

Hi

I put a magnet inside my containers (Parkwood Models) and they then attach to the weight in the chassis (Peco). This may not work, however, for the Farish ones but I don't have any to check.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%