Kato unitrack for a points phobic layout builder?

Started by silverfox, January 26, 2014, 05:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverfox

Hi All,

As a micro layout builder I've always concentrated mainly on creating very small 'roundy roundies' I think this is mainly due to the fact it has kept me in my comfort zone as I'm totally points phobic.....most of my layouts seem to be completely pointless after all!!
On the couple of occasions that turnouts have appeared on my layouts they have been manual 'hand of god' operation and also fairly unreliable, I run DC and they seem to need constant fettling to achieve current flow.

I have decided that my next layout will be a small end to end and therefore I need to tackle my nemesis as some turnouts are inevitable, this decision was helped along by some inspiration from the recent images posted by Gavin (gdandridge) of his great little shelf layout 'Ridley End'.

Having read up a bit on Kato unitrack It appears that the electric points seem to be fairly bullet proof, reliable and more to the point easy for me to set up. I've also taken on board the suggestion that unitrack is supposedly harder to achieve a convincing level of realism on a scenic layout but I've got to say that after studying Jon's (PostModN66) layout 'Lofthole' and some interesting Kato ballasting youtube posts I have to disagree.

So I'd be very interested to hear of anyone's experience with unitrack run as a DC layout using Farish and Dapol stock and whether there are any major pitfalls that I need to worry about before I part with any hard earned! :-\

Cheers all

Jason

Agrafarfan

Hi

I have ordered Kato unitrack due to having some difficulty drilling holes in my table for the Peco motors. I was going to buy Kato originally but decided to go DCC but that didn't work out so I have ordered Kato's M2 master expansion pack and v5 or v6 inner circle expansion pack.

Reading on here Kato seems to be really easy to set up especially they have electric points.

Kato have some really attractive expansion packs plus one of the members on here (sorry don't know the gentlemans name :-[ ) sells Unitrack "Train Trax"

All the best
Ian

Pengi

Hi Jason, I use Unitrack points and they are very easy to use and reliable. Takes the headache out of wiring points :thumbsup:

There are some issues with No 4 points and certain rolling stock but the points can be easily modified (although I've not done it as don't have No 4 points) There are posts about this on the forum.

The scissors is a lovely bit of kit and works well - the switch needs to be thrown slowly though so that all the blades move.

I have some Farish and Dapol stock (EMUs, DMUs, HST) and they work fine.

Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

PostModN66

The #4 points can be modified but I wouldn't say "easily" - in fact it was a bit of a chore modding all mine on Lofthole.

Here is the thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17242.msg176206#msg176206

I would avoid them if possible - but that doesn't fit with a "small end to end" that Jason "Silverfox" wants.

Jason - I suggest that you obtain one (#4) and test all your stock through it before splashing out on more.  It might be fine, particularly as trains are likely to be going slowly.  But be warned about Dapol 66s; I couldn't get them to go through at any speed!

Good luck with it all!

Cheers  Jon   :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

silverfox

Thanks Guys,

I had heard about the no 4 points issue, the ones that I'm planning are 20203 and 20202 which I believe are 15degree turnouts so I'm hoping that I won't experience the same problems.

Cheers for the steer onto Trax, I've already got a basket started ready for launch as and when!!! ;)

Jason

Geoff

You will enjoy the Kato Unitrack and the points, it is so easy to work with and you will wonder why you never used it sooner, good luck with your layout.
Geoff

tutenkhamunsleeping

Quote from: silverfox on January 26, 2014, 06:01:28 PM
I had heard about the no 4 points issue, the ones that I'm planning are 20203 and 20202 which I believe are 15degree turnouts so I'm hoping that I won't experience the same problems.

Yes, those are the number six jobbies and I've had nothing but flawless performance from them :thumbsup:

If you're tempted by a double crossover at any point time, they're number sixes too 8)

silverfox

Thanks for confirming that my intended turnouts are the fault free ones Steve, I've just checked out your amazing video which I found on a previous thread that Jon kindly posted the link to......superb layout there's a few yards of track there!!! You're clearly a Kato convert.
Have you had any experience of the magnetic uncoupler, will it work with standard couplers fitted with tags or would I need to change to a different format?

Cheers

Jason

Les1952

As an alternative, have you looked at Tomix finetrack?

All the very best
Les

silverfox

I haven't Les, is it as readily available and a similar system?

Cheers

Jason

MKP

Quote from: silverfox on January 26, 2014, 07:02:43 PM
I haven't Les, is it as readily available and a similar system?

Cheers

Jason

Not as readily available but Tomix has a larger track range than Kato.
You are not restricted to one track manufacturer, you can mix and match between them as long as they are the same code of track ( kato is code 80)
If you need some Kato track plan ideas: http://www.osbornsmodels.com/track-plans-587-c.asp

tutenkhamunsleeping

Quote from: silverfox on January 26, 2014, 06:54:25 PM
You're clearly a Kato convert.
Have you had any experience of the magnetic uncoupler, will it work with standard couplers fitted with tags or would I need to change to a different format?

Yes, although starting out to use a bit of Kato to speed up getting the fiddle yard up and running, I'm beginning to think I'm now an actual addict  :goggleeyes:

Not tried the couplers, indeed I've not tried the Dapol magnetics I've got in my to-do pile either!

I haven't tried the Tomix track, mainly because it's not so readily available in the UK.

trainsdownunder

Kato Unitrack is just so easy and can be used to build more complex layouts if needed.

Got converted to Kato after visiting a friend and seeing his layout. This is just before sellin it
http://youtu.be/u3wawaiCaMc. There are more videos of the build on YouTube.

Pengi

There is a major downside to Kato Unitrack . . .

. . . it is so nice to use that it is easy to keep buying more, and more, and more, and more . . . . .  ;D
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Geoff

Quote from: Pengi on January 27, 2014, 07:15:03 AM
There is a major downside to Kato Unitrack . . .

. . . it is so nice to use that it is easy to keep buying more, and more, and more, and more . . . . .  ;D

I have that problem how do you fix it..  :laughabovepost:
Geoff

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations