What should be the next 57 ft first gen DMU from Revolution?

Started by bluedepot, October 29, 2023, 01:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluedepot

New poll of the week!

You can select your top 3!

Results will be sent to Ben Ando!

This is a vote for 57ft first gen DMUs.

Sorry if I missed any options.  Where they were very similar to other classes I didn't necessarily include them.

Thanks for your vote

Tim

Bob G

For me it is a lot easier, as I don't physically want to own any of these, but from a business perspective, I'd say Derby lightweights, Class 105 (Bachmann already do this in OO) and Class 110 Calder Valley sets (Hornby did these in OO).

However, I still think 120s, 117s and 123s need a shoe in first :)

Bob

PS - you listed 121/122 for possible retool but these are 63' chassis, not 57'.

Newportnobby

Do the 101/108 really need a re tool? I reckon the BachFar versions are pretty damned good :confused1:

Portpatrick

Quote from: Newportnobby on October 29, 2023, 02:39:11 PMDo the 101/108 really need a re tool? I reckon the BachFar versions are pretty damned good :confused1:

I agree.  My preference would be fist choice, a 105 (Craven's)  then a 100 (Gloucester C&W).  Both would suit my Scottish interests.  The Cravens is both more relevant to my current layout and NE Scotland interests and is also much more widespread so would no doubt suit a wider market.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Bob G on October 29, 2023, 02:07:01 PMHowever, I still think 120s, 117s and 123s need a shoe in first :)

Repeating this like a mantra ain't necessarily going to make it happen :no:
If I want another DMU it has to be something a bit different hence me voting for the lightweights, 'cos that's what I am :)

martyn

I'd like the Derby lightweights or the Cravens 105s, but as I've said elsewhere, Bachmann already do these in 4mm so could be a relatively easy shoot-down for them. But no sign of it happening yet.

When the real ones are looked at, there are quite a few differences especially at the ends.

The Met Cam lightweights were similar to the 100/101s, but again had differences at the cab end, including valances, air horns, and multiple unit jumpers high up just under the windows instead of the buffer beam.

Good luck with the survey!

Martyn

Bob G

Quote from: Newportnobby on October 29, 2023, 04:06:38 PM
Quote from: Bob G on October 29, 2023, 02:07:01 PMHowever, I still think 120s, 117s and 123s need a shoe in first :)

Repeating this like a mantra ain't necessarily going to make it happen :no:

It worked on the B class tanks :)

bluedepot

thanks for the votes so far!

i think the derby lightweight would commercially be a good choice. if bachmann ever get round to it.

i would say 104s would be a good choice for revolution though as not made by bachmann and they can make them in green, blue and nse and mexican bean liveries to appeal to a wider audience.

cheers

tim

tunneroner61

Have to agree with Newportnobby. There's no point retooling the 101s or 108s as they are excellent. Go for something new. I don't want any of the above as a I would much prefer a 117.

Ricky B

Just wading in with my opinion. I would absolutely love to see Revolution produce the class 110 Calder Valley units - c'mon Revolution- bring northern N gauge modelling alive!. I'd really like to see a class 105 Cravens too.
And in response the calls not don't bother with a 101, is the existing option from Farish "good enough for now"? I'd have thought an upgrade was overdue.
Richard.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Ricky B on October 30, 2023, 11:38:14 AMAnd in response the calls not don't bother with a 101, is the existing option from Farish "good enough for now"? I'd have thought an upgrade was overdue.
Richard.

Sorry to labour this point but what exactly requires updating on the class 101?

Roy L S

Quote from: Newportnobby on October 30, 2023, 12:42:23 PM
Quote from: Ricky B on October 30, 2023, 11:38:14 AMAnd in response the calls not don't bother with a 101, is the existing option from Farish "good enough for now"? I'd have thought an upgrade was overdue.
Richard.

Sorry to labour this point but what exactly requires updating on the class 101?

Absolutely nothing wrong with either the 101 or 108 in my opinion, I have been trying to get a green latest spec 101 for ages at a half-reasonable price (so I don't mean cheap) and they are like rocking horse doo-doo. I would be happy with another production run of them just as they are.

Bazza

Richard.

Revolution (and any other manufacturer) would be mad to consider a class 101 or 108 when Farish already have more than acceptable tooling for them and could quickly produce batches in response.

bluedepot

yes i agree that basically the 101 and 108 are good models. maybe just a next 18 upgrade and speaker fitted would suffice.  just added it as an option in the poll though.

104 and 105/6 are winning currently - both would be great additions for n gauge.

derby lightweight in third. also a good choice.

btw - next week's poll will be on 4 wheel rail buses!

cheers

tim

crewearpley40

Not really my era who remembers the waggon maschinenbau ?

Park royal built some

However Tim @bluedepot

How about some EMus please in a future?

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16% 
May Donations