Christmas presents to self!!

Started by GroupC, December 17, 2014, 05:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GroupC

I don't think anyone's started this yet, but what, in N gauge or anything else, are you "justifiably" buying yourselves for Christmas?

The advantages of doing this include: (a) you get what you want, (b) you can show genuine pleasure when unwrapping it, (c) you don't have to wait to open it if you don't want to, (d) you can be as self-indulgent as you want.

But the disadvantages of course include: (a) you have to pay for it yourself, (b) it can dilute your "presents for others" budget, (c) there's no surprise.

For starters and to get the ball rolling, I've asked my personal Santa for these - let's hope I think I've been good: Quite a few building kits to develop my layout; A Walthers gasometer kit; a pledge to myself for 1 or 2 blue class 31's when they FINALLY arrive; weathering powders etc.

And on the non-railway side, a turbo trainer so I can train on my bike indoors in winter; several obscure CD's to replace those lost/forgotten tracks; Autocourse 2014 book; stickers to personalise my laptop (!). And anything else I can think of.

bridgiesimon

Not bought by myself but I have spent the gift money from my grandparents on a kit for the Millenium Falcon from Star Wars! Always wanted one and decided it was about time. Not quite N gauge, sorry!!

Best wishes
Simon

cycletrak9

I've always bought myself a Christmas present - as GroupC says it ensures that you get something that you really want.

This year I've pre-ordered the 64xx pannier tank in early BR logo. I've got the 57xx but they were not auto fitted so I need something to haul my autocoaches as a change from the 14xx.

Newportnobby

I've got so much on pre-order with a well known retailer in Sheffield that I always ask for vouchers for birthday (Oct) and Christmas. To my mind both Farish and Dapol have shot themselves in the foot by not getting stuff through in time for Christmas, even though they were announced what seems years ago. There's no N gauge stuff I want other than what's on pre-order so I'm not tempted in that respect.
Other than that, Liz Hurley's told me she's busy :'(
Excuses ::)

Skyline2uk

Not really a present to myself, but my dear mum has long since decided that it is easier to contribute to my n gauge habit by simply financing some new stuff at Christmas rather than going through model shops herself.

This year I am torn between:

• New Farish 37 in metals, plus some BAA's
  • Rake of Silver Bullets plus rake of Intermodals of some sort
  • New Farish Deltic "Pinza" (aim to re-number and name to "Tulyar" plus MK1's to run as a railtour.

Nice position to be in I know, but Christmas and Birthday, plus Warley / TINGS are the only times I get to really indulge in the hobby.

Welcome any thoughts on which option I should go for.

Skyline2uk

JBQFC

just got myself a nice pair of Doc Martin boots for christmas  :bounce:

Westbury

Ordered a Graham Farish 370-180 Seaside Excursion set as they're now out and no longer pre-order as a present to myself.  New to the hobby and still building up stock, only had freight stuff till now....

Merry Christmas !

port perran

Had some money early for Christmas so got myself a Union Mills 700 Black Motor.
And very pleased I am with it too.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Bealman

Blue Pullman. Oops.... I got one last year.  :doh:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

ChrisWV10

Quote from: Skyline2uk on December 17, 2014, 08:39:50 PM
Not really a present to myself, but my dear mum has long since decided that it is easier to contribute to my n gauge habit by simply financing some new stuff at Christmas rather than going through model shops herself

I prnt off my wish list from Hattons with a selection of different priced items for my mum and she can choose something she knows I like. A succession of Christmas and birthdays and she is now on first name terms with the staff!  ::)

My present to myself is the Railway Children Pack. Couldn't resist as it's my favourite film even if it is 'Orribly Oversize and now in stock at Kernow so should be on its way anyday now :claphappy:

C. :)

PS @skyline ... Metals 37 .... They seem to be selling rather well so get in quick! :thumbsup:

Bealman

We tend to drink Baileys quickly here cos it goes off with our clime.

Well Mrs B does. :thumbsup:

longbridge

I decided to buy myself a Cristmas present yesterday, two Intermountain Chicago North Western FP9s and two Intermountain Rock Island F7a locos, hold onto your hat though they were all HO scale, awesome runners and beautifully finished models.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Bealman

Cutter

Thanks to a timely recruiting bonus I have gone rather nuts. It started with a Langley LNER railcar kit which needed a chassis of course. Then I indulged in another batch of AtsoCad brick wagons--which needed wheels, couplings and transfers. And while I was ordering transfers I thought I might as well get some for coal wagons too. Then I talked myself into some coal wagons and Peco brick loads, and then some more coal wagons from Mathieson, and I just bought a V2 on eBay to go under an AtsoCad K3 body one day. I think I need to stop there--or to refer another new hire!

Agrippa

Quote from: Bealman on December 18, 2014, 08:42:10 AM
We tend to drink Baileys quickly here cos it goes off with our clime.

Well Mrs B does. :thumbsup:

Do you mean she drinks it quickly or goes off ?
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations