Well, Erm, Where to start really!!!

Started by QuinsFanPhil, October 11, 2016, 05:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuinsFanPhil

Hi everyone. I'm a total newbie to N gauge and haven't dabbled since mid 80's when I had a 00 set as a kid.

I have space for a 2m x 1m ish board in my garage (that's going to be insulated agains the worst of the cold).

My first question is about track. I'm amazed at the difference since the last time I looked at trains so I'm quite keen to run DCC and have powered points. I plan on having a double closed loop with a bit of a yard action in the middle and a couple of sidings on the outside running parallel with the straights.  Fairly simple stuff as don't want to get too carried away for my first effort.

However, I do have space to expand so would like to future proof it at much as possible.  So, rather than haring off with one particular make - any suggestions for a manufacturer.  A leading question, I know. Sorry. I'm probably more keen on something with a semi realistic underlay system - but not the clunky looking GF stuff I have seen. Then the availability and reliability of points and bits like that is also a consideration. As well as the interaction with different loco manufacturers.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Phil.

Ditape

:hellosign: :welcomesign:

Depending on how much work you want to put in to your track work will affect the choice some favour the preballasted Kato plug and play style track, personally I favour Peco code 55 with electrofrog points and ballasting the track after laying.
Diane Tape

Railwaygun

You can't go wrong with kato unitrack - use it initially and if you don't love it, it has excellent resale value.

Buy the M1 / M2 starter sets as they Are good value and include a PSU. Then expand to exceed the space available!

Electric points are premiered with switches.

TRaintrax is a popular provider and an NGF advertiser.

There are unitrack threads - do an NGF search.

I be got 40m of Unitrack so I'm obviously an enthusiast!
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Newportnobby

Hi Phil, and welcome to the forum :wave:
Being a Saints fan I'll forgive your allegiance to the 'Quins :P

Kato Unitrack is great for a first timer as it is plug & play with motors built into the points so you'd be up and running before you know it. There are ways to disguise the high ballast shoulder so don't let that put you off.
Try to create a track plan with no straights and don't be tempted to run track parallel to baseboard edges. Remember the scenery was there first so don't try and fill the baseboard with track - something I've always been guilty of :-[

QuinsFanPhil

Cheers all.

I'm a bit concerned that the Unitrack is a bit more for playing than modelling maybe? Would a GF starter set 370-080 with a DCC set up and one of the £50 Peco sets of track be a decent place to start? Not averse to using some pre-made ballast.  Thing is - once I set off on the GF route, am I tying myself down a bit.  Or am I too far out of my depth already! £250-£300 to see if I "get" how it all works and potentially start things off seems OKish? Or is jumping straight into DCC unwise?

railsquid

Quote from: QuinsFanPhil on October 12, 2016, 04:27:59 PM
Cheers all.

I'm a bit concerned that the Unitrack is a bit more for playing than modelling maybe?

I guess it all depends on what you want and feel able to do. If you want some super-accurate pointwork, hand-built code 40 track is the way to go. If you want to mess about with trains with something which looks like track, Unitrack is very handy, like many people I probably would never have embraced N gauge had I not been able to play with a simple cheap setup (I reckon it cost me about 50 quid at the exchange rate a couple of years ago to get set up with some Unitrack, a DC controller and an el-cheapo train, though it helps I live in Japan). Like Railwaygun says, it can easily be sold on, it's very robust and will last. Even if you decide you don't like it as a scenic element it can be still used for hidden sections of track.

keithfre

Personally I reckon Peco 55 track, suitably painted and ballasted, looks good, whereas Unitrack to me looks just like the old Triang 00 track. No doubt it can be improved with painting, but the ground level around it also needs to be built up to look anything like the real thing.

The extra work involved in assembling finescale track is not for me, also because some of my stock is old and would not run on the code 40 track.

Just my EUR 0.02!

QuinsFanPhil

Been doing some digging today and will admit to coming round to the Kato Unitrack - I'm rather taken by the double track set with the banked curves. For a (basically) total novice it has to be a good way to kick off. So I think I'm going to go to a shop and have a nose around. I'm also probably going to go to the Uckfield show over the weekend to have a scout about - anyone been before and recommend it?

QuinsFanPhil

Right - I got this wee set in Uckfield. (Can't put a pic on. Graham Farish "Countryside Coal" 370-080) Can anyone recommend a screwdriver set maybe with a magnifying glass!!!! - preferably from Amazon? Cheers.

Pengi

Quote from: QuinsFanPhil on October 13, 2016, 05:25:15 PM
Been doing some digging today and will admit to coming round to the Kato Unitrack - I'm rather taken by the double track set with the banked curves. For a (basically) total novice it has to be a good way to kick off. So I think I'm going to go to a shop and have a nose around. I'm also probably going to go to the Uckfield show over the weekend to have a scout about - anyone been before and recommend it?
I have the double track set with banked curves and have ballasted it with Woodland Scenics. If you look closely in the first picture you may be able to make out the name of my favourite rugby team on a poster
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

QuinsFanPhil

So - some help needed folks. I've got my little set out. I ran it for about 20 minutes then I stopped it to add a wagon - it wouldn't start again! Left it overnight and hey presto it started trundling round .... For 2 laps and then it stopped for no reason. Now it is dead. The controller is delivering, track connections are sound. But Jinty ain't moving! No sounds of the motor straining. I've applied some gentle pressure to the wheels but they won't rotate more than a couple of degrees. Any ideas????

Newportnobby

Sorry, Phil, but I'm of the 'if it doesn't work get it replaced with one that does' school 'cos life's too short for doing somebody else's QC.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations