Fiddle Yard Cassette - Powered Interface

Started by NGS-PO, March 12, 2023, 12:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NGS-PO

My latest largish layout is St Catherine's Bay and the fiddle yard will be almost entirely cassettes.  My previous cassettes have been powered angle aluminium alloy, with flying leads plugged into the DCC bussbar.  I wanted to try something different this time, with the emphasis on simplicity and ease of use.

I've started experimenting with a track based cassette which interfaces with the layout using a combined power/location system.

Attached are some images of a crude experimental system that so far has yielded good results.  I've soldered .9mm brass round to the outside of each interface rail which has subsequently been bent slightly inward to form a pre load which in turn makes a good physical and electrical contact to the cassette rails.  This ensures that the cassette is positioned centrally and received reliable power.  The tail of each brass round has been curled to aid sliding in the cassette.

I'm aware the interface track attachment is a dirty deed done cheap.  The final version will be more robust, with the rails soldered to copper clad board.  The screws on the cassette are only there to hold the track in place whilst the glue cures.

Cassette construction is a 9mm ply base with hardboard sides glued using Gorilla resin wood glue.  The hardboard is up-cycled from unused backs for Ikea bookcases.  The other wall has subsequently been glued since the photos were taken.

Some may find this helpful.

Best

Scott.

If you know someone who's depressed, please resolve never to ask them why. Depression isn't a straightforward response to a bad situation; depression just is, like the weather.Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they're going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It's hard to be a friend to someone who's depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do."

(PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.)

Papyrus

I like that. Very neat and ingenious idea. Could be used for baseboard joins too.

Cheers,

Chris

martyn

Actually, Scott, doing it your way is probably better and easier than the way I suggested.....

Martyn

Dorsetmike

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52295.msg682221#msg682221

Further to the above I now also solder the kato joiners in place and add  a spot or two from a hot melt glue gun under them otherwise they sometimes try and stay attached to the cassette
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

ntpntpntp

Quote from: Papyrus on March 12, 2023, 02:11:31 PM
I like that. Very neat and ingenious idea. Could be used for baseboard joins too.

Too much sticking out of the end over the edge of the board, will be very easy to damage if used as baseboard power connections and not strong enough to align baseboards accurately.  Better to stick with the tried and tested methods with alignment dowels and wired plugs and sockets for this purpose :)
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

NGS-PO

For completeness, here's two walls on the cassette:

If you know someone who's depressed, please resolve never to ask them why. Depression isn't a straightforward response to a bad situation; depression just is, like the weather.Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they're going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It's hard to be a friend to someone who's depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do."

(PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.)

Southerngooner

I like the use of cassettes, much under-used and a great way to ditch a fiddle yard. Love the simple way of getting electrical current to them too, really simple. Definitely something for me to think about.  I've been used to having non-powered cassettes on James Street, but want to try powered ones for Brickmakers Lane, so this is a good start!

Dave
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

GrahamB

Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

Greygreaser

That's another brain teaser inserted :hmmm: its something i can try out!
Like your 'connectors' which overcome plugs and sockets by the dozen - each a potential 'dead circuit'!
As the connecting 'rods' are fairly stiff I would have left the track in the cassette loose at the end but used a connecting/aligning pin or wedge in the 9mm ply and baseboard. That way the heavier more solids bits align but the more delicate bits have a little flexibility.
It works on my layout where 7 tracks cross the joint of 2 boards. None are fixed by 'conventional' methods as these don't allow the trains to 'nudge' the rails if slightly misaligned. Further if the boards warp or the track gets damaged then it's not rigidly fastened and easier to adjust. I use small pieces of plastic with 'legs' to sit in the two connecting tracks bridging the gap to stiffen and lineup the two ends.
Proof is that locos don't hop, skip and jump over the gaps on my layout whereas I've seen it happen repeatedly in videos of 'exhibition' layouts. :hmmm:
Only other thought is the sides of the cassette might need a soft lining - have you tried bubble wrap or cloth or polystyrene packing? It becomes relevant if the stock is to be moved/transported frequently but less important if the cassettes are just for storage.
A jack of all trades is a master of none, but often times better than a master of one.

Fradmacman

My solution was initially temporary, but it worked so I have kept it for three years. It's not elegant or very tidy but it works. The cassettes are laminated plasticard, with Peco code 55 rail glued to the base. Each end has two flexible brass wands to connect to the alignment block which also have flexible brass wands on them, the wooden lugs on the end of the cassettes ensure good track alignment. The brass wands are connected to the rails by wires and solder.

As I said, not elegant at all but it works very well.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £25.67
Below Goal: £74.33
Site Currency: GBP
26% 
May Donations