Why no GWR Mogul

Started by twinklekev, August 02, 2020, 09:04:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven B

Where as I've had problems with HSTs, class 26s and 86s.

Don't forget Dapol are doing the SR West Country, albeit rather slowly - possibly going back to the drawing board.

Steven B.

Bigmac

so--when was the last new steam loco released by dapol ?
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

tunneroner61

I've a few of both Dapol steam and diesel. At the moment they only run up and down on my shunting plank so don't get stressed much. My impression is that if treated properly they are quite reliable, though of course you have to be careful of the tender loco drive shaft popping out - hence careful handling needed as advised on the NGF many times.

Couldn't tell you what was the last Dapol steamer, sorry.

Bob G

Quote from: Bigmac on August 02, 2020, 05:20:55 PM
so--when was the last new steam loco released by dapol ?
Grange, around 2016/17.

Bigmac

dont get me wrong--i have 9 dapol steamers--and they all run.  mostly because ive persisted with them.  i hope dapol do develop some more---but i wouldnt be at all surprised if they dont. After all---most of the popular types have already been done by them and others. Just need a King and County...and a patriot...

... a nelson...an arthur...
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

Les1952

Quote from: Bigmac on August 02, 2020, 08:05:16 PM
dont get me wrong--i have 9 dapol steamers--and they all run.  mostly because ive persisted with them.  i hope dapol do develop some more---but i wouldnt be at all surprised if they dont. After all---most of the popular types have already been done by them and others. Just need a King and County...and a patriot...

... a nelson...an arthur...

Dapol put all of their N-gauge on the back burner a few years back to concentrate limited resources on more profitable scales.  The N-gauge pipeline restarted last year with the class 50, and the Bulleid Pacific is back in development with the M7 being worked on for a complete retool. 

Don't rule out a 43xx when they come to upgrade the GW 4-6-0s, which won't be until after the Bulleid's new drive has proved itself in the market place and with users.

My Dapol large steamers (A4s and A3s) live a hard life thrashing round Croft Spa on exhibition duty at speed with heavy trains.  They stand up to it well, though I have a policy of sending a loco to DCC Supplies for an overhaul as soon as its traction tyres get a bit wobbly. They share these duties with Farish A1s and A2s, and seem to thrive on it about the same- BR Lines had a regular supply of Farish pacifics from me for sorting out split gears and other problems.  My one analogue Hall has done sterling duty on the club's exhibition layout, and some of my B1s have run so many miles they have worn the tyres out (50 miles plus to do that....).  I bought up a number of broken B1s from Dapol so have spare wheelsets when a badly worn one goes off for servicing.

I'd be up for any LNER 2-6-0 but sorry, not GW as I model the other side of the country.

Les

Chris Morris

Maybe I too have been lucky in that every N gauge loco I have ever bought (28 Dapol, 15 Farish)  is still running fine. A few of these were bought at a bargain price as "non runners" but nevertheless they run well and without any great time spent on them. The biggest problem I have had is that the very thin wires between the loco and tender need quite a bit of maintenance. I now replace these wires if they break with slightly thicker wire that I solder to tiny piece of brass that I can screw to the posts. This gives me a more substantial connection but this has to be done carefully as thicker wire can lead to the loco derailing. The Farish link between loco and tender is far superior. In general I find that the more a loco is used the smoother it runs. My two most highly used Dapol locos (a manor and a Grange) are really great runners but the others are all fine. I think the Dapol locos also look the part. Because folk keep saying how Dapol locos are I bought a spare tender motor some time back from DCC Supplies. Suffice to say that this motor is  sitting in a drawer somewhere unused and still in its plastic bag .

Going back to the opening comment I think it is a shame that there isn't a GWR mogul in N. I can see they aren't a star loco that everyone wants but there were more of them than any other GWR tender loco and they were used right across the system on every type of work. They could be used on pick up goods, long distance freight and medium passenger work. They have been used for pulling royal trains on secondary lines. They were even occasionally pressed into service on express passengers but their boiler wasn't really big enough for that work. They were seen on all the main lines, branches (albeit subject to weight restrictions) and secondary lines such as the Cambrian system. The first one was built in 1911 and the last ones retired in 1964 which is a pretty good lifespan. Two are preserved. There were quite a few livery variations. The very first ones had the full GWR glam with brass beading on splashers and cab front, they then wore unlined green with all the various GWR emblems. During World War 1 they were painted unlined khaki. In BR days they started out black ( mostly lined but some unlined) and then broke out into green, again some fully lined out and some not. A true "maid of all work" with an interesting history but a largely unsung hero. I think this loco deserves to have a model and I'm sure that if folk knew enough about them they would want one.

I was kind of disappointed that Revolution went for a 56xx rather than a mogul as the 56xx has a somewhat limited sphere of operation and is completely useless for my South Devon WR line.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Bealman

Thanks for that info. Educated me!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Stevie DC

Interesting to read this thread. I began the CAD for a GWR Mogul 3D printed body just before DJM announced theirs - at which point I stopped the project. After the unfortunate events of last year, I started revisiting the project following a conversation with a friend about having one for their layout, utilising the Dapol Grange chassis and tender. The project has stalled again but the body was designed (but no chassis mounting points or cylinders) and test printed.

One example has actually been built after John Birkett-Smith twisted my arm for his Totnes layout. He did a nice, and very honest, write up of the build and issues he had to overcome, which can be found and downloaded towards the bottom of the page of this thread: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/137052-ashburton-and-totnes/page/5/

John's finished model is shown below.

While I plan to eventually complete the CAD and build a loco for my friend, if others in the meantime (having read John's comments and understand what's involved) wish to have a go using the current CAD design, please PM me.

Wrinkly1

I too have been waiting some 35 years for a r-t-r GWR mogul, and yes, I do run a kit built one. As a WR/MR steam era modeller it's one of the few locos I'd really like to add to the 50-odd I already possess.
I recall from my younger train spotting days that the class were a real 'maid of all work'. They operated many of the passenger services on the whole ex-Cambrian network and I rode behind them to Barmouth several times. I also sometimes saw them on the MSWJR from Cheltenham to Andover, the routes to Barnstable and Minehead from Taunton, were the usual motive power for the 'monkey specials' from South Wales to Bristol Zoo, acted as medium-powered main line freight locos and, I recall during my early years, you would find one permanently based at Bristol Stapleton Road station to bank freight trains up the long drag to Filton Junction.
I don't want to rush any manufacturer ..... but I don't have a huge number of years left now!!!

Roy L S

Quote from: Stevie DC on August 03, 2020, 08:35:34 AM
Interesting to read this thread. I began the CAD for a GWR Mogul 3D printed body just before DJM announced theirs - at which point I stopped the project. After the unfortunate events of last year, I started revisiting the project following a conversation with a friend about having one for their layout, utilising the Dapol Grange chassis and tender. The project has stalled again but the body was designed (but no chassis mounting points or cylinders) and test printed.

One example has actually been built after John Birkett-Smith twisted my arm for his Totnes layout. He did a nice, and very honest, write up of the build and issues he had to overcome, which can be found and downloaded towards the bottom of the page of this thread: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/137052-ashburton-and-totnes/page/5/

John's finished model is shown below.

While I plan to eventually complete the CAD and build a loco for my friend, if others in the meantime (having read John's comments and understand what's involved) wish to have a go using the current CAD design, please PM me.

Hi Steve

What a terrific model your CAD has made possible (one of many unique and lovely locos deriving from your work by the way!).

Sadly I cannot open the PDF for some reason, I would love to read his account of it's construction.

Roy

w greatbatch

Yeah .I'd really like to have a go at  Stevie

w greatbatch

Should read ,have a go at one of those ,appologies, think I'm going a bit sealion.

Stevie DC

Quote from: w greatbatch on August 03, 2020, 09:45:00 AM
Yeah .I'd really like to have a go at  Stevie

Take a ticket and please join the end of the queue...  :P

Stevie DC

Quote from: Roy L S on August 03, 2020, 09:30:13 AM

Hi Steve

What a terrific model your CAD has made possible (one of many unique and lovely locos deriving from your work by the way!).

Sadly I cannot open the PDF for some reason, I would love to read his account of it's construction.

Roy

Thanks Roy, although John deserves much of the credit taking the shell and working out how to fit it to the Grange chassis. I'll email you his write up.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations