a black day in Sussex

Started by guest311, August 12, 2015, 05:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest311

not the best of days today, I had to take our shepherd female dog (changed by forum) Coco to the vets this afternoon, and did not bring her home.

she had lost a lot of weight, quite quickly, and I had also noticed a deterioration in her eyesight, and changes in her behaviour.

she went to the vets last week, and had blood tests done, and the vet was hopeful that the result would show diabetes, which would have been manageable.

unfortunately, apart from slightly raised levels of adrenaline, all was fine.

I monitored her over the last week, and noted further deterioration, and further changes in her behaviour, especially becoming aggressive about food or toys.

after a lot of discussion with the vet, it was decided that with the symptoms she was displaying, it was most likely that she had a brain tumour.

we then discussed the options with the family, but with two lots of grandsons, the risk of her hurting one of them was too much, and we decided the kindest thing was for her to be put to sleep.

thanks to a super vet, the procedure was quick and quite stress free for her, and she passed quietly.

we'd had her for just over five years, and she was supposedly four and a half when we adopted her. she had been used as a breeding machine, and was in a pitiful state, but was a soft, gentle animal who enriched our lives, and will be greatly missed.

for the last two years she has had a young husky as a mate, he was six months when we adopted him, and he seemed to make her act younger, which was a pleasure to watch.

now we have to see how he adjusts to her loss, but at our age my wife and I have decided not to replace her.

luckily, one of our daughters has a recently adopted a cross husky / shepherd, nine months old, and she will hopefully give him some company.

a few drams will be raised to Coco tonight for all the love and happiness she has brought to our lives over the last five years.

alan

Ditape

My sympathies are with you I know what it is like to loose a much loved pet. :(
Diane Tape

guest311

Thank you, Diane,

after all the dogs I've taken on their final journey over the years, you'd think I'd become hardened to it, but her loss has really hit home.
thankfully I have many happy memories of our time together, and what is important is that she did not suffer.

alan

Oldman

Alan I know how you feel, we had to have our std poodle put down just before Xmas after 14 years.
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

d-a-n

I'm so sorry to hear this, my condolences go out to you and your family, you've done the kindest thing possible given the circumstances.

ScottyStitch

Alan, regrettably I too have been there. It is not easy but you have done the kindest thing for her now.

I too shall raise a dram of my finest Lagavulin for her, and for you and yours.

All the best

Scott.

bridgiesimon

Mate, I really feel for you, I remember when I was in that situation, one of the worst days of my life. 
All my very best wishes
Simon

guest311

thank you all for your kind thoughts, I'll get SWMBO to sit down and read them later this evening, and I am sure she will be moved  by them.

alan

Bob Tidbury

I know exactly how you feel we had the same heart breaking decision to make last year with our beloved Tibetian Terrier Buster he became very unsteady on his feet and actually fell down the stairs twice .Buster also became unpredictable he bit my grandson only a nip but enough to frighten him the he was having a cuddle with my wife and just snapped at her face.Two days latter my son went to give him a kiss before he wnt to work and Buster went for his face to.
It broke my heart but we had no choice I miss him still but we have a sweet little puppy now called Mitzy she is 9 months old and although she won't ever replace Buster we love her lots .
People who have never had a dog just don't know what they are missing , the love and pleasure is worth every penny you spend on them.
Rest in peace Coco and Buster may they meet and play in doggy heaven.
Bob

D1042 Western Princess

A very sad post. My sympathies are with you and your family.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

steve836

My deepest sympathy! I too have lost pets and dogs are the ones that seem to bond closest. It still makes my eyes moist when I remember Benji even though it was 11 years ago when he got hit by a car and died in my arms.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Newportnobby

I feel for you and your family, Alan. Losing a pet is tragic and, having been there myself, I know how desperately sad you are feeling.

Zogbert Splod

My lady friend lost her dog, Drea, in very similar circumstances just 6 weeks ago.  I feel for your loss, so sorry.

Regards, Allan.....
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

daveg

Sorry to read your sad news, Alan

Like many here, been there so know how tough it can be.

Chin up.

Dave G

dannyboy

Sorry to hear about this. I have been there myself in the past with both dogs and cats. It is a very sad day when it happens. We have three dogs (and some cats), at the moment, one of which is a x-German Shepherd. I know both my wife and myself would be heartbroken if anything happened to any of 'the family'. At least the dog is not suffering any more. David.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations