UK telly: Dad's Army - The Lost Episodes

Started by RailGooner, August 25, 2019, 06:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RailGooner

Just caught the last few minutes of 'The Royal Train' episode, which was followed by a timely reminder that Gold (Virgin Media 124) will airing 3 lost episodes starting 8pm tonight.

Tonight: 'The loneliness of the Long-Distance Walker' (S2 E3)
Monday: 'A Stripe for Frazier' (S2 E5)
Tuesday: 'Under Fire' (S2 E6)

These episodes were originally broadcast in 1969 and have never been broadcast since because they were... well... lost.

The Virgin Media TV guide doesn't provide much info, but I'm expecting salvaged clips cut with surviving cast/production crew (are there any?) adding insight.  If you're a fan of the show, as I am, it's probably worth a look.

Philip.

They've been re-created using new actors, no archive footage used I believe. Should be worth a watch though

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2019-08-22/dads-army-the-lost-episodes-air-date-cast-trailer/

themadhippy

Quotend have never been broadcast since because they were... well... lost.
Not lost ,just erased. video tape at the time was   expensive so it was reused.One day they'll develop the technology to capture ALL  tv and radio broadcasts ever made as there still floating off into space.
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

guest311

sorry, but one of my pet hates is when tv series change the actors playing characters.

I spend most of the time thinking 'who the hell is that?'

so for me, a no watch I'm afraid.

Steve Brassett

Quote from: class37025 on August 25, 2019, 08:47:44 PM
sorry, but one of my pet hates is when tv series change the actors playing characters.

It would be a bit difficult to use the original actors.   :D I watched tonight's episode, and enjoyed it.  Because they used the original scripts, you can tell the characters apart from the way they talk.

chrism

There was a "lost" episode restored some ten years ago.

"Room at the Bottom" was only found as a 16mm black & white film recording, the original colour video tape was lost.

Researchers discovered that the B&W film did actually contain chroma data, and they were able to recreate a restored coloiur version from it - and very good it was, too..

dannyboy

Quote from: Steve Brassett on August 25, 2019, 08:53:13 PM

It would be a bit difficult to use the original actors. ........  Because they used the original scripts

I suppose they could have used a ghost writer if the original scripts were not available.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

RailGooner

Quote from: chrism on August 25, 2019, 09:09:37 PM
There was a "lost" episode restored some ten years ago.

"Room at the Bottom"

The one were (the self appointed to rank of) Captain Mainwaring is told it's more the norm to have a lieutenant in charge of a platoon, so....

One of Wilson's best episodes. :beers:

guest311

It would be a bit difficult to use the original actors.   :D I watched tonight's episode, and enjoyed it.  Because they used the original scripts, you can tell the characters apart from the way they talk.

I realise that, but to me it just isn't right, as per when they made the film which just wasn't dads army.

sorry.

so many of these things stink of trying to make a few pounds on the back of the real thing.

Philip.

Quoteso many of these things stink of trying to make a few pounds on the back of the real thing.

I don't think they are going to make much on the back of a showing on UK Gold tbh  :hmmm:

Philip.

I enjoyed it anyway, a harmless bit of fun and a nice tribute to the originals

Steve Brassett

Quote from: class37025 on August 25, 2019, 09:26:15 PM

I realise that, but to me it just isn't right, as per when they made the film which just wasn't dads army.

sorry.

so many of these things stink of trying to make a few pounds on the back of the real thing.
I absolutely agree about the film. I could only watch about half of it.
  I think that the use of the original scripts help these versions.

We can always agree to disagree.

The Q

The thing that helped the original cast was most of them were old soldiers, they new exactly how to behave as a soldier, then do the acting.
Almost all of the home guard were ex WW1 servicemen, or had done national service (unless in a reserved occupation and there weren't that many of them)

Modern actors have no clue as to how to behave as a soldier and neither do the directors. Often ending up with a bunch of slovenly misfits that wouldn't get past the training camp guard room.

Paul-H

It was a shame it had to be on pay TV, we don't get that were I live, only the freeview channels, I do understand why, but its a pity this original BBC program was not produced by the BBC, after all they are technically a Pay TV  service given the cost of the TV licence.

I wonder if someone like Dave will pick it up.

Paul
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations