Exceeded photo quoter

Started by Danielmc1, November 29, 2021, 10:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danielmc1

Where can I view my percentage used for my photo quoter? I was going to ask if there was a way of reducing the resolution of photos that I have already uploaded, however when looking at individual photos in 'gallery'  the file sizes are pretty tiny already.

Is there a way of increasing this quoter without using a separate image hosting service at all?

Thanks

Bealman

Drop Tank a pm, he usually fixes it.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Trainfish

And stick a fiver in the forum funds and he'll do it even quicker  :thumbsup:

Note: That's probably not true but it's what I did and he increased my quota almost immediately.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Gordon

According to the gallery list, you have 94 photos.

To see the Quota numbers, choose add a picture and the data will be at the bottom of the 'add picture' page

I have 242 photos in my gallery and I haven't exceeded my quota, so either you have a gigantic file in their somewhere or all your photos are large size files not the 'pretty tiny' you mention.

Unless your quota is different to mine?

:confusedsign:
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Bealman

Ah, no matter - the fiver will fix it up  ;D ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Tank

I've increased your quota, but if this doesn't help, do let me know. :thumbsup:

Trainfish

What @Tank means is make it a tenner and it WILL work  :no:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Danielmc1

@Tank thanks very much for that - I honestly don't intend to fill up your servers with photos of my modelling failures, so I'll continue to stick to relatively low res pics.

I have indeed donated to the site, but not because I think anyone would demand it in return, but because this site and everyone on it has been so helpful over the last 18 month as I build my first 'proper' layout, certainly in N gauge. :thumbsup:

Tank

Thanks very much Daniel, I really appreciate that.  Most of all, I'm very happy that the forum and its members have helped you with the hobby. :NGaugersRule: :thumbsup:

icairns

What is the Forum's current policy about the resolution of photos inserted into message threads?

I vaguely remember reading a while back that photos should be 2MB or smaller for posting.

All the photos that I take are between 6 and 9MB so I have to resize them using "Paint" software (is there a better way of resizing?).  However, these reduced resolution photos sometimes look poor when posted into messages.

However, many Forum users post nice crisp photos.  These photos open up very quickly when going into the thread.  What is their secret?  T

I have also noticed that some photos take a long time to load.  Are these high resolution photos?

I know the Forum has limited storage space so I think it would be good if we could all have a refresher on the correct way to post photos on the Forum.

Thanks in advance.

Ian

Newportnobby

My Canon bridge camera takes pics at between 2 and 4 MB and, like Ian, I use 'Paint' to resize them by halving the topmost pixel count. This doesn't lose too much resolution and also helps if I need to e mail them out as my mail provider has a 10MB limit.
Many posts contain pics that load at about 3mm at a time and I just bypass the post. Life's too short for waiting what seems an interminable age for the full pic to emerge.

maridunian

It would surely be possible for the Forum to accept large photos, but then automatically, silently downsize them for storage and publication at a resolution sufficient for clear details, in reasonable time, on a typical monitor? Facebook etc do this all the time.

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Nbodger

The early photographs I first posted were both around 8mb, but I rapidly learnt that that was not sustainable, today they are posted in the general range of 200 to 300kb.

I generally focus merge my photographs and end up with a file size of 12 to 20mb at best quality, for posting these are reduced to high quality and reduced in size to a file in the range as stated above.

For this I use photo editing software Affinity as does Roger of Wrenton fame.

As an example the photograph below is in its original format 16.5mb at best quality giving a size of 5184 x 3456 after it was cropped slowly slightly. The posted photograph at high quality and reduced to 1200 x 800 is 322kb

Photos can be edited in Windows 10 photo edit, they can be resized and reduction in quality, very much the same as above.

There are people on the Forum who post multiple photographs per post and each photograph is in the range of 6 to 8mb, and a post containing up to 50mb of photographs which is totally in my opinion ridiculous and a waste of server space.

Like @Newportnobby if a post doesn't load quickly I don't bother reading it, unless I am making a cup of coffee whilst it downloads. Personally I do think there should be some hard and fast rules set on file sizes, what that limit is, I am not sure.

Mike H

Newportnobby

Quote from: Nbodger on December 02, 2021, 11:41:39 AM
There are people on the Forum who post multiple photographs per post and each photograph is in the range of 6 to 8mb, and a post containing up to 50mb of photographs which is totally in my opinion ridiculous and a waste of server space.

Like @Newportnobby if a post doesn't load quickly I don't bother reading it, unless I am making a cup of coffee whilst it downloads. Personally I do think there should be some hard and fast rules set on file sizes, what that limit is, I am not sure.

What compounds the problem is someone will then quote that post with the attendant 50mb all over again!
I guess it's a learning curve for many, especially if they use a phone/tablet for the forum :hmmm:

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations