what are you listening to at the moment?

Started by findus, January 20, 2011, 12:06:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darve and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

GroupC

Idles, "Brutalism" album.

Punk (tho they say they're not punk), noisy, unpredictable, political, perceptive. And dare I say it, the whole thing (band / live shows / videos / lyrics) is art.

But it and the band themselves are also a bit terrifying... more than a bit scary as you never quite know what's going to happen next. A bit like when you saw the great Peter Cook being interviewed... what would he say? What mood would he be in? How co-operative would he be?

"Edgy" has nothing on this lot!

Marvellous.

GroupC

Today it's Alvvays (say "Always") with their second album, Antisocialites. Cracking jangly / catchy guitar-y pop, rockier overall than their first and putting paid to that "difficult second album" issue. And the very excellent (and funny) Mollie can really do those vocal gymnastics to perfection (e.g. "Plimsoll Punks") without autotune, if their gigs I've been to are anything to go by. And they are. Nice one, you Canadians!

It makes me happy in a world which generally does not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzplW7NQ9qU

scottmitchell74

Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

scottmitchell74

Great cover of an insanely catchy tune with an absurdly good looking vocalist.

Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

weave

Hi Scott,

Quite like that but you said insanely catchy tune and I can't get 'Rose Tattoo' by Dropkick Murphys out of my head. Give this a go and see if you think bits are the same. It's 1.30 am here and I have been drinking  :)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d8SzG4FPyM

Cheers Weave  :beers:

Just listened again, the first bit of yours after 59 seconds.

I dunno. both good tracks.

scottmitchell74

Quote from: weave on November 26, 2017, 01:31:37 AM
Hi Scott,

Quite like that but you said insanely catchy tune and I can't get 'Rose Tattoo' by Dropkick Murphys out of my head. Give this a go and see if you think bits are the same. It's 1.30 am here and I have been drinking  :)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d8SzG4FPyM

Cheers Weave  :beers:

Just listened again, the first bit of yours after 59 seconds.

I dunno. both good tracks.

Whoa! Good call. The tune is definitely similar. I wonder if/since they're both rooted in folk tunes that that's why there's a similarity.

Newportnobby

Some old Uriah Heep albums with David Byron on vocals, a sad loss to rock music in 19685 :(

Malc

Quote from: newportnobby on December 01, 2017, 08:06:56 PM
Some old Uriah Heep albums with David Byron on vocals, a sad loss to rock music in 1985 :(
I often listen to Very 'eavy very 'umble, to my mind, one of the best.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Jack

Quote from: Malc on December 03, 2017, 05:58:46 PM
Quote from: newportnobby on December 01, 2017, 08:06:56 PM
Some old Uriah Heep albums with David Byron on vocals, a sad loss to rock music in 1985 :(
I often listen to Very 'eavy very 'umble, to my mind, one of the best.

Each to their own, I prefer their album Salisbury followed by Look at Yourself. I feel some head phone time coming on.  :music:
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Newportnobby

I have Very 'Eavy, Very 'Umble, Salisbury, Look at Yourself, Demons & Wizards and Magicians Birthday on vinyl but my most played is Demons & Wizards.

Jack

Yep! used to have all those plus Sweet Lorraine, all on vinyl. Lost the lot, plus my Yes and Deep Purple collection due to transit damage whilst moving between postings in my Services day :'( :'(

Newportnobby

Aaaargh! That's awful.
I have duplicated some of my Heep and Yes on CD as I tried to put an album into the slot in my car but for some reason it wouldn't fit. Nowadays I just have 5000 or more songs on a memory stick in the car.

port perran

Quote from: newportnobby on December 03, 2017, 09:04:08 PM
Aaaargh! That's awful.
I have duplicated some of my Heep and Yes on CD as I tried to put an album into the slot in my car but for some reason it wouldn't fit. Nowadays I just have 5000 or more songs on a memory stick in the car.
Bet you can't remember 'em all  :D
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Jack

Listening to Heep while I'm driving is a No No for me - too dangerous!! I find it hard being in two places at once  :D

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations