Individual Companies or British Rail?

Started by guest2, July 06, 2011, 10:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EtchedPixels

Quote from: moogle on July 13, 2011, 11:44:58 AM
Depends on if its freight or passenger.
There seems to be more freight on the railways since privatization, so surely thats a good thing.

A lot of joined up thinking is still missing there though. A lot of congestion is still being caused by large numbers of trucks carrying loads that probably on a simple balance sheet are cheaper to move by blocking up the road network, but in the bigger picture are not.

Plus not all our freight is privatised. To all intents and purposes DRS is part of the UK government, and EWS seems to be part of one too...

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

moogle

Quote from: EtchedPixels on July 13, 2011, 01:24:24 PM
Quote from: moogle on July 13, 2011, 11:44:58 AM
Depends on if its freight or passenger.
There seems to be more freight on the railways since privatization, so surely thats a good thing.

A lot of joined up thinking is still missing there though. A lot of congestion is still being caused by large numbers of trucks carrying loads that probably on a simple balance sheet are cheaper to move by blocking up the road network, but in the bigger picture are not.

Plus not all our freight is privatised. To all intents and purposes DRS is part of the UK government, and EWS seems to be part of one too...

Now that I wouldn't know. I'm only going by my observations and from being a passenger.
Don't know a lot about modern railways otherwise!
You're no doubt right about the congestion. One system has to suffer to free up the other...
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations