The Joy of Train Sets BBC 4

Started by davieb, January 16, 2013, 11:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RChook

Hi everyone,
newly reg. on the forum, as a result of BBC4 Train Sets!, and thinking maybe I should try something in N (age and eyes permitting)

may I do my 2 1/2d worth ? :-)
I enjoyed the program sound track, largely nostalgia having started out with a Dublo trainset some time ago (!) [but we were lower class, Dad smoked fags and we looked up to pipe smokers and got a crick in the neck ]

I also enjoyed the pictures but :-
but the video was (a) to be kind : an interesting background; or (b) unkind : mostly unrelated to the audio, it whizzed around in uncontrolled bursts 1/2 sec. here or couple of seconds there !
The programme could have been split in two, the nostalgic/historic audio could easily have gone out on Radio4
whilst the video could have gone out on TV ( in maybe several parts) with its own sound track " this was three rail, this was stud, this became the flower of modelling in 19xx with this model by Mr yy ,,, " with enough time to see the model, without it flashing so fast before our eyes !

Seawise

If you missed this programme it is on BBC 4 I-Player, Wednesday 9pm.

Am currently watching it, nostalgic!

Regards

Chris

[admin]Merged this topic with the main thread. Tank.[/admin]
Let your dreams become your favourite memories

Hailstone

unfortunately this seems to be the standard of documentary programme making these days - they seem to think we all have the attention span of a 5 year old who has just got their hands on the TV remote for the first time - all sound bytes and no substance. If we wanted a programme that properly told our history, we would have to make it ourselves, as no one in the modern media would take us seriously.

Bigric

Totally agree with Captainelectra's post yesterday - this programme was (IMHO) a good , positive look at the hobby with a really interesting & detailed look at the origins in this country . It was probably always going to come up short from our (biased) point of view , but as an objective look for outsiders to gain an inkling of what the hobby is about , I thought it was a very positive snapshot . Ric

MinZaPint

I watched last night and enjoyed it and we have at least one new member as a result, welcome in RChook you should enjoy yourself on here  :hellosign:
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

d-a-n

Welcome RChook!

Watched this just now while playing with my train set; I thought it was very well made and covered enough without going into the detail which we love but bores and leaves 99.9% of people disengaged. They did well to cram as much as they did into the allotted time and struck a fine balance between the real railways, model ones and social reasons behind modelling, we recently had the One Show at our school to cover a story about the snow (aired on Wednesday 23rd January) and the team which arrived shot hours of footage to make a featurette of only about 5 minutes, I would imagine the challenge behind squeezing in decades of footage was monumental. The people interviewed were all interesting, warm characters who were succinct in delivering their opinions, something I imagine I would fail to be when trying to describe and explain something I love (hence why I don't bring the subject up at school, I'd bore the kids to tears and put them off forever!!!).
I doubt there will be another episode like this but that's ok, there's more than enough footage and images of locomotives and rolling stock - real and model - online to keep me interested.

If we have gained a new member without a single mention of N gauge (not the most popular gauge), I imagine there may be a few more members of OO or O gauge forums as a result of this program. It all means more money is going into the hobby which sustains the companies which bring us the models we cherish.

RChook

Thanks for the nice welcome everyone  :claphappy:

Quote from: d-a-n on January 26, 2013, 11:59:39 AMThey did well to cram as much as they did into the allotted time and struck a fine balance between the real railways, model ones and social reasons behind modelling,

Yep.I agree wih that in the audio, but I found the video somewhat manic ! and mostly not connected to the audio.
But no worries, I have now found a way to download it and can now review the cliphappy video at my leisure !

QuoteIf we have gained a new member without a single mention of N gauge (not the most popular gauge), I imagine there may be a few more members of OO or O gauge forums as a result of this program.
Ummm, well, err, At the same time as I reg. here I also reg.ed at another (general gauge) forum wot I had also been reading for a wee while,
3days on I am still waiting for it to be approved ! :(
Probably not appropriate to name it, but it purports to welcome new railway modellers, so here I am enjoying a nice welcome and interesting conversations :-) whilst over there not lot is happening !!

pape_timmo

This forum is the best IMHO. Warm welcome, excellent advice and encouragement, and good banter too. Welcome along, and happy modelling
There's the right way, the wrong way, and the Railway...

My YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxeUUCqEw_rWo229kmnizFQ

RChook

Quote from: d-a-n on January 26, 2013, 11:59:39 AM
Welcome RChook!
Thank you
If we have gained a new member without a single mention of N gauge (not the most popular gauge), I imagine there may be a few more members of OO or O gauge forums as a result of this program.
Well, a bit late, there is a developing story here !
I thought that going up into the attic room, where 00 could be done, was (a) a bit cold in the winter and (b) better to stay in the family rooms by the fireside and do a bit of model railway whilst /watching TV /playing audio/ engaging in normal adult behaviour/ ;) ;)
So, having looked round Carl Arendt's site I was thinking of a little expanded pizza in N.

Now SWMBO points to the end wall of one of the living rooms and says "what about over there if you move the fish tanks"
In one fell swoop releasing a 10ft wall with two legs of 4 and 6ft each  ! ,,,,
(no fish were injured in this thought experiment, the tanks are currently un-occupied ! )

Sprintex

Quote from: RChook on February 03, 2013, 11:49:56 PM

Now SWMBO points to the end wall of one of the living rooms and says "what about over there if you move the fish tanks"
In one fell swoop releasing a 10ft wall with two legs of 4 and 6ft each  ! ,,,,
(no fish were injured in this thought experiment, the tanks are currently un-occupied ! )

Result I'd say! :beers:

Paul

H

Quote from: BernardTPM on January 24, 2013, 10:47:26 PM

Perhaps there has been a slight shift away from what might be called 'Ladism' towards recognising that it might actually be a good thing to be creative.

Yep, it does seem that journalism is only interested in the bizarre, spectacular and extreme - it's either glorifying outrageous laddish behaviour or putting down introverted social inadequates, but nothing in between. They like to portray and promote the odd and the weird, but fail to report on the balanced and normal; there's little wrong in enjoying a few pints in the local and playing football, and being able to come home to read a book and make some models.

H.

Newportnobby

Quote from: H on February 04, 2013, 11:21:38 AM
there's little wrong in enjoying a few pints in the local and playing football, and being able to come home to read a book and make some models.

H.

I tried playing football in my local after a few pints and was told I was being outlandishly laddish and thus barred :(

EtchedPixels

Eurostar in a tunnel through the fish tank - clearly
:angel:
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Jack

Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

RChook

Quote from: Sprintex on February 04, 2013, 04:56:51 AM
Result I'd say! :beers:
Yep, quite a surprise !
So now I need to research what sort of width of baseboard is convenient to reach over to service a model when it is up against a wall.

(mind you, 4ft - 10ft - 6ft x say 3.5ft in a U shape could house a.n.other gauge - - shhh ! :) )

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £5.67
Below Goal: £94.33
Site Currency: GBP
 6%
May Donations