Stan Lee

Started by Bealman, November 13, 2018, 07:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

Yeah, I know comics and superheroes aren't everyone's cup of tea, but Stan Lee was my idol and I was sorry to hear of his passing.

Back around 1960 or so, I would wander up two doors to the newsagent, and buy a DC comic with Superman or Batman in it.

Then a couple of years later, along came Lee with Marvel comics. They blew the young Bealman away!

Here were superheroes that didn't have secret identities, and totally weird powers! I was wrapped in Marvel comics all through my teens ( along with RM, by the way).

Of course Hollywood have made an impact over the last 20 years with awesome special effects films, which have made stars out of several actors, including Aussies Hugh Jackman  and Chris Helmsworth.

However, it all started with Stan Lee.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

The Q

Well I'd heard of Superman and Batman, but until maybe the last ten years I'd never heard of all these others. oh I forgot the Incredible Hulk on the TV but that wasn't until the 1980's by which time I'd long started work and wasn't interested..
I've never read a comic with a super hero in unless you count Dennis the menace. Come to that I've never read that many comics.

I was into books reading up to 12 books a week by the time I was 12, these were early on were the Swallows and Amazon Series, then most of Issac Azimov's science fiction. After that factual books like Paelolithic Archeaology.

These days  2 or three books a week is still not uncommon, I'm reading The Scottish Clearances at the moment, which is a most enlightening book, showing much of what many think of the clearences is wrong..

Bealman

Thanks for the post, but I think you're missing the point.

Regardless of what we read, comic book superheroes are part of modern culture (which ain't that modern - I think DC comics began in the 1930s).

I'm glad you like your Paleolithic books. My degree is in Geophysics, and to be quite honest, after that, Marvel superheroes are a breath of fresh air.  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

RailGooner

RIP Stan Lee - surely one of the most read authors ever.

The Q

Quote from: Bealman on November 13, 2018, 08:31:35 AM

Regardless of what we read, comic book superheroes are part of modern culture (which ain't that modern - I think DC comics began in the 1930s).

:beers:

I'd agree not that Modern, but having just looked it up they were first officially sold in Australia  in 1947 and the UK 1959.   To me they are not part of our culture, just another American import of no relevance.

Stan lee Most read author? I thought you looked at comics, there is not a lot to read in them..

Lazy-Ferret

I am one of those people who never read a comic, but started watching the films if they were on TV "as there was nothing better on".... 

But I soon realised they were a great break from reality, and a nice bit of fun, so started looking out for them. Ironically, it is my wife who became the more avid follower of them often booking us into the cinema to see the latest film.

Sadly, the first I knew of "Stan Lee" was from his many mentions and occasional appearances on "The Big Bang Theory", where I realised that he was obviously a clever man with a very active mind, and apparently, a great sense of humour.

I think he was a very lucky man, living to a rip old age, living the dream using his imagination for good, and from the films I have seen using his characters, he will be missed by a lot of people including me.

I saw this quote on Twitter by Jonathan Hickman

Quote"I guess I'm supposed to be sad that Stan Lee has died, and I am, but I'm mostly smiling, thinking about what a kickass 95 years that was.

Rest in Peace, Mister Lee, you earned it."

That to me, sums it up perfectly.
"Only a man that drives a second-hand car knows how hard it is to drive a bargain!"
South East 4x4 Responder

about our other loves

RailGooner

A human being has died. I don't understand why some would take that as an opportunity to score points.

Karhedron

Quote from: Lazy-Ferret on November 13, 2018, 01:40:28 PM
I think he was a very lucky man, living to a rip old age, living the dream using his imagination for good, and from the films I have seen using his characters, he will be missed by a lot of people including me.

I agree. I feel sad for the family and friends he leaves behind but I would rather celebrate a life well-lived. He leaves behind a legacy that will inspire people for a long time to come.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations