Windows 10 A breath of fresh air.

Started by Geoff, July 30, 2015, 12:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff

Geoff

Adam1701D

After a couple of days with W10, things have settled down nicely. I found the "Edge" browser to be quite choppy and unresponsive compared to Chrome, so that's gone now but, other than that, it's all good!  :thumbsup:

All in all, what Windows 8 should have been - well done MS.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

austinbob

Quote from: captainelectra on August 01, 2015, 09:03:48 PM
After a couple of days with W10, things have settled down nicely. I found the "Edge" browser to be quite choppy and unresponsive compared to Chrome, so that's gone now but, other than that, it's all good!  :thumbsup:

All in all, what Windows 8 should have been - well done MS.
Likewise  :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

dannyboy

Quote from: austinbob on August 01, 2015, 08:20:34 PM

Microsoft Money 2001 (yes 2001!!) wouldn't run because it couldn't find the right version of Internet Explorer. Quick web search found a registry tweak which fixed the problem.

Bob, I also use M/S Money, but mine is called 'Money Plus' - do you know if this is the same as 'Money 2001', if so, can you point me in the direction of the registry tweak?  :thankyousign: David.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Jack

Quote from: dannyboy on August 01, 2015, 10:48:33 PM

Microsoft Money 2001 (yes 2001!!) wouldn't run because it couldn't find the right version of Internet Explorer. Quick web search found a registry tweak which fixed the problem.

Bob, I also use M/S Money, but mine is called 'Money Plus' - do you know if this is the same as 'Money 2001', if so, can you point me in the direction of the registry tweak?  :thankyousign: David.

According to here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/ProductDetailsViewer?Type=Software&Name=Microsoft+Money+Plus+Sunset+Deluxe&ModelOrVersion=17&Vendor=Microsoft&Locale=&LastSearchTerm=& you shouldn't have any problems.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

austinbob

Quote from: Jack on August 01, 2015, 10:55:28 PM
Quote from: dannyboy on August 01, 2015, 10:48:33 PM

According to here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/ProductDetailsViewer?Type=Software&Name=Microsoft+Money+Plus+Sunset+Deluxe&ModelOrVersion=17&Vendor=Microsoft&Locale=&LastSearchTerm=& you shouldn't have any problems.
Many people have reported problems with Money 2001 (that's earlier than MoneyPlus). You get an error message saying it needs to use IE5 or above.
The registry tweak Ifound fixes this problem and everything is ok now.
You can find it here https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ce248a5f-6370-4fa0-8db5-aadde33fec14/after-win-10-102400-build-install-ie-is-gone-and-money-plus-doesnt-start?forum=mone
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Parky

Still waiting my turn here. Got three to do so don't want all that at once, I have enough of that at work

As to Money. There is the Sunset version that is still free, that was put out when they stopped developing it. It's as new as you can get and might have less issues with later Windows versions. Well that is what I am hoping for

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=20738

austinbob

Quote from: Parky on August 02, 2015, 08:16:31 AM
Still waiting my turn here. Got three to do so don't want all that at once, I have enough of that at work

As to Money. There is the Sunset version that is still free, that was put out when they stopped developing it. It's as new as you can get and might have less issues with later Windows versions. Well that is what I am hoping for

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=20738
I think I read that there are similar issues with all versions of Money - to do with Internet Explorer being needed.
:beers:

Bob Austin

Maurits71

work computer upgraded the first release date from 8.1, love it, big compliments to Microsoft, no issues at all and all runs smoothly. the other windows 7 machines here are in the cue so just wait and see.

Hills and Meadows on social media

For Hills and Meadows video channel please click here

For Hills and Meadows on facebook please click here

Dorsetmike

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

MikeDunn

As I said earlier in the thread ...
Quote from: MikeDunn on August 01, 2015, 08:31:29 PMHaving to register for the Windows App Store for stuff is a pain ... as is the default settings of "I allow M$ to look all through this install & everything I ever do on it" !  That all got turned off on the actual install (I tend to select 'custom' rather than default because of this type of privacy invasion).

Jack

Just a small point on the those who are concerned about the info that MS might be gathering for different reasons, some of it they have to do for various laws within various countries post 9/11.

I wonder how many people use Google Chrome without releasing that Google have been doing a similar thing for quite a while. While I don't know about Apple but I'm betting they've being doing a similar thing for a while too. Social media is another harvester of personal data in the background, not that I use social media. For those who use apps on their smartphones have to accept similar data sharing. And so the list goes on.

Both MS & Google have ways of allowing you to switch some of the intrusions off, I don't know about the others.

Just a thought.....

Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Geoff

Quote from: Jack on August 02, 2015, 11:43:44 AM
Just a small point on the those who are concerned about the info that MS might be gathering for different reasons, some of it they have to do for various laws within various countries post 9/11.

I wonder how many people use Google Chrome without releasing that Google have been doing a similar thing for quite a while. While I don't know about Apple but I'm betting they've being doing a similar thing for a while too. Social media is another harvester of personal data in the background, not that I use social media. For those who use apps on their smartphones have to accept similar data sharing. And so the list goes on.

Both MS & Google have ways of allowing you to switch some of the intrusions off, I don't know about the others.

Just a thought.....

Just another thought, if you had nothing to hide then what is the problem, we live in a terrible world and if it helps to uphold all of our safety then I am for it.
Geoff

MikeDunn

Oh please ... let's not go down that specious argument ...  It's trotted out every time the Police & Gov't want to increase their monitoring powers ...

Izzy

With regard to the updates issue in 10 of not having any control over them, what is installed and when, of serious concern to myself and my wife, not wanting automatic restarts in the midst of financial transactions etc.

Today my wife updated a failing Win 7 laptop to 10 as a test bed. It went without any problem, and there is an option in update prefs to control when restarts are done. Not as good as before, but better than nothing. Both boot-up and sign-in are quicker than 7.

As regards O/S backup there appears to be the ability to do this on her new Win 8.1 laptop through Windows (separate to the OEM backup of the recovery/clean install partition), and mention somewhere of doing this with 10 as well. We are going to double-check this. Just because a HDD fails shouldn't mean you need to re-purchase the OEM O/S.

Izzy

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £50.67
Below Goal: £49.33
Site Currency: GBP
51% 
May Donations