Started by railsquid, September 06, 2016, 04:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

Cool! Go Squidlet!

And he still likes his cheesebread, too!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Train Waiting

What lovely pictures!

It's good to see a new generation of enginemen starting out.  Your little boy is naturally adopting the classic poses of a driver - staring into the distance and smiling benignly down upon the crowds of enthusiasts on the platform.

That's the great thing about the footplate of a 'new' steam locomotive, one soon works out what most things do.  I have an inkling that's a LNER-style regulator just making it into the picture.  It looks good in pink.

Many thanks.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

railsquid

Before they can enter primary school, all children in Japan must, working in teams of two under adult supervision:

must prove themselves capable of pulling a 2-car 65 tonne train from a standing start and moving it by about 1.5 metres:

Later, they must stand facing away from the train and not flinch as it rolls up and stops behind them at low speed.

tutenkhamunsleeping

A sound policy.  Over here the little Herberts have been running round loose ever since they stopped 'em sweeping chimneys ;)

railsquid

And a big hand for the Squidlet (currently aged 6-and-a-bit) who came up, seemingly of his own volition, with this innovative way of extending his "Plarail" line all the way to the horizon:

Bealman

That is pretty damn cool, if he's been taught how to use that method of drawing distance. I used to teach that to teenagers!  :thumbsup:

All I've got for a counter photo is GrandBealette watching the bowls at lunch this afternoon

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Train Waiting

Quote from: railsquid on March 19, 2021, 09:12:42 AM
And a big hand for the Squidlet (currently aged 6-and-a-bit) who came up, seemingly of his own volition, with this innovative way of extending his "Plarail" line all the way to the horizon:

Absolutely brilliant! 

Best wishes

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Newportnobby

Quote from: railsquid on March 19, 2021, 09:12:42 AM

Well, that puts things into perspective.

daffy

Brilliant!  :thumbsup: - but no sign of Squidlet himself, whom I assume has reached his own vanishing point. :D
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

railsquid

The Squidlet is starting to get creative with his modelling:

Bonus: freelance attempt at a Tokyo railway network map (for comparison the real thing):

railsquid

Quote from: daffy on March 19, 2021, 09:58:01 AM
Brilliant!  :thumbsup: - but no sign of Squidlet himself, whom I assume has reached his own vanishing point. :D

Here you go:

Clothing colouring entirely coincidental.

The pictured train is an all-stations stopper from the western edge of Tokyo all the way to Nagano (also stopping at the interestingly named Obasute Station, which literally translates as "Grandmother Throwaway Station), though anyone actually intending to head to Nagano (unless intending to dispose of unwanted elderly relatives) would be better served by heading back into the centre of Tokyo and hopping on a Shinkansen).

daffy

:thumbsup:

No chance of him vanishing with those trainers on - which is roughly what my first wife said of me when I came home wearing a similar pair of fluorescent yellow Gola trainers back in 1974 (though I was a bit older at 22 ;) ). I loved 'em, as will Squidlet. :thumbsup:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

railsquid

Same trainers, but not posing in front of a train for a change:

The object in question being the pre-dreadnought Mikasa, which apart from playing a key role in the 1905 Battle of Tsushima is apparently the only surviving example of such a ship. Moreover she was built in Barrow-in-Furness, which is on the other side of the Duddon Estuary from where Railsquid spent some formative childhood years. There is even an eponymous street.

chrism

Quote from: railsquid on November 21, 2021, 03:24:26 PM
Japanese_battleship_Mikasa]Mikasa[/url], which apart from playing a key role in the 1905 Battle of Tsushima is apparently the only surviving example of such a ship.

She's a double last - the last pre-Dreadnought battleship and the last British built battleship.

QuoteMoreover she was built in Barrow-in-Furness, which is on the other side of the Duddon Estuary from where Railsquid spent some formative childhood years.

Not Millom, perchance? That's where I am - or just outside to be more accurate.

railsquid

Quote from: chrism on November 21, 2021, 03:36:31 PM
Quote from: railsquid on November 21, 2021, 03:24:26 PM
Japanese_battleship_Mikasa]Mikasa[/url], which apart from playing a key role in the 1905 Battle of Tsushima is apparently the only surviving example of such a ship.

She's a double last - the last pre-Dreadnought battleship and the last British built battleship.

Eh? I thought that was the much later HMS Vanguard.

Quote from: chrism on November 21, 2021, 03:36:31 PM
QuoteMoreover she was built in Barrow-in-Furness, which is on the other side of the Duddon Estuary from where Railsquid spent some formative childhood years.

Not Millom, perchance? That's where I am - or just outside to be more accurate.

Bingo.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations