Show your Latest GB Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase.

Started by longbridge, June 30, 2012, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham

Quote from: gc4946 on June 25, 2022, 10:41:25 AM
This morning my birthday treat arrived.

A Gaugemaster Collection/Dapol GM2210103 class 66, 66773 Pride of GB Railfreight
lovely, mine arrived a few days ago, it was bought by my daughters for Christmas 20, so they were very happy it had arrived.
managed to get an extra 10g of lead into it like other Dapol 66's and it runs a lot better for it. have to say it is probably the quietest Dapol 66 I have.

gc4946

Quote from: RailGooner on June 25, 2022, 11:11:05 AM
Quote from: gc4946 on June 25, 2022, 10:41:25 AM
A Gaugemaster Collection/Dapol GM2210103 class 66, 66773 Pride of GB Railfreight

NOICE.  :thumbsup: I'm torn between this and "Capt. Tom" which means I'll probably get both.

Yesterday - coincidentally UK's Armed Forces Day - I placed my order for Dapol's 66731 Captain Tom Moore on their website - they're donating £40 for every loco sold to NHS Charities Together
https://www.dapol.co.uk/Tom-Moore-Live?search=&sort=rating&order=ASC&page=4&limit=15
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

Firstone18

Quote from: Newportnobby on June 19, 2022, 02:13:47 PM
Quote from: mca0004 on June 19, 2022, 11:57:24 AM
And the WD Austerity is a great little loco. Unfortunately it's unprototypically underpowered (can only run small-mid sized trains), but it still looks and runs great. It should have traction tires in my opinion though.

I have no issues with mine and it pulls at least 30 four wheeled trucks. One pair of driving wheels (the rearmost I think) do have traction tyres.

Quote from: emjaybee on June 19, 2022, 12:16:39 PM

(What's a 'Dubdee'?)

Gricer's slang for 'WD'

Mine struggles with 3 coaches on my helix which is 2.5% gradient. I will try with trucks when I next run on the club layout which has two helix units, but at at 2%. My Castle is the same, so I'm wondering if there is any room in the loco (where the motor is) to add some weight? Anyone done this? Strangely, YouChoos suggest weight in the tender on their sound installation guide pages but I don't follow how this would help???
I still like the way it looks, and my home layout is small so lack of pulling power will not be a problem.
Cheers
:beers:
Finally, after waiting over 55 years I am building a permanent layout in a purpose built shed!

Hailstone

@Firstone18  You will have noticed that in steam days, double heading was the norm, even in the modern era at times.
I realise that like me, many people switched to N gauge in order to run more prototypical length trains in a limited space, but it must be remembered that gradients cannot be increased or shortened without the kind of problems that people have been complaining of. the main line on my layout is only 5ft long and has a slight gradient at one end on a curve where the baseboard has warped slightly, yet both of my Castles (admittedly modified with a strip of 1.2mm lead glued to the keeper plate (using glue & glaze to facilitate easy removal) manage it on a 12 coach train without any problems, prototypically slowing down a little as they make the climb (I normally run 6 coaches at home and 12 on the club's modular layout which is level)

as for the WD, it may be that yours is one of those whose traction tyre wheelsets was made a bit too deep. see the WD thread here https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=6723.msg756306#new

Regards,

Alex

AndyRA

A few more bits that have gone under the knife from second hand purchases lately, to be reborn in other guises.

These Minitrix 27s are always a good bargain at around £30 each. A truly great mechanism for powering my AC Loco fleet.

'Cut and shut' Farish 87 bodies, with plenty of body filler.

Finishing off with the modified bodies on the Minitrix mechanisms, ready for service on the layout.
If it looks difficult it probably is, but might as well get on with it anyway!

Layout :- West Coast (Southern Section)
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=2531;u=5731

Full story and pics at:-
https://www.facebook.com/WestCoastSouthernSection/

mca0004

Two things arrived for me today, one:

An Osborn Models breakdown crane!

And the second thing was a Dapol A3 I bought used. That has arrived damaged. Damn.

I've already messaged the shop, just have to wait for a reply now...

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Graham

wow Fin, looking forward to seeing that at the club on Thursday evening.

mca0004

Quote from: Graham on June 27, 2022, 07:46:19 AM
wow Fin, looking forward to seeing that at the club on Thursday evening.

It does look good! What do you think I should have be pulling the breakdown train? I was thinking either my Jinty or WD Austarity.

Graham

bring them both along and lets have a look at them running.

GScaleBruce

One of Farish's new class 08s has arrived. It's very noisy (despite giving it a drop of oil and left it running in). I'm gradually bending the pickups so that they'll all pick electricity up, preferably all of the time. But it's pretty...

Bruce
My DB themed layout - Steinheim am Main My BR themed layout - Stoneham Yard My T-Trak module - Güterbahnhof Friesdorf
My SNCF modelling thread - Gare de Ligugé My layout planning thread - Peterhampton Junction

Firstone18

Seems I'm jinxed with steam locos. The newly arrived WD 2-8-0 was running just fine last week on both my home layout and the club layout. It must have had around 3 hours running now, but suddenly started jamming. It appears to the the crank pin on the lead driver wheel set on one side is catching on the motion when the loco is travelling round curves. There is a bush on the motion this side which is longer than the matching one on the other side, and the head of the crank pin fouls on the motion. I've contacted Rails (again!) to ask for either a replacement to try, or a credit. I think if a credit I'll try a Dapol Manor as the motion is so much less complicated!
Ho hum.
Cheers
Finally, after waiting over 55 years I am building a permanent layout in a purpose built shed!

gc4946

Both recent Dapol class 66 acquisitions shown together.

66731 Captain Tom Moore
66773 Pride of GB Railfreight
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

mca0004

My newest friend: The SECR N Class!

I also got a set of bird cage coaches for it, but I forgot to take a photo of them and I can't be bothered taking them out if the box again.

Bealman

Nice. Really nice, in fact.

I'd like to see it with the coaches, though! Sorry!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations