Wanted - Pictures

Started by montyburns1982, July 07, 2022, 10:35:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

montyburns1982

Hi all,

I'm currently writing a book about prototypical railway operations in the BR Blue (TOPS) and Sectorisation eras. I have plenty of material, but one area where I am lacking is high quality pictures of N Gauge Layouts set in the BR Blue and Sectorisation eras, particularly those showing realistic modelling and/or operations.

If anyone has decent pictures, and they are willing to see them in print (properly credited of course), then please get in touch.

Many thanks
Richard

crewearpley40

Sounds like a lovely project Richard. Have you seen shrewford on the forum? What areas do you need for workings of trains please? Maybe working timetables can help . Chris

montyburns1982

Hi Chris,

Geographical area is not important, I'm looking UK wide.

I have plenty of information on real world trains (including working timetables), and a number of people have given me permission to use their photographs of the real thing, but I want to include some pictures of N Gauge layouts, it is, after all, a book about operating N Gauge trains and layouts in a realistic manner.

For those interested, its going to be published by Pen and Sword and will be released hopefully sometime in 2023.

Newportnobby

I'm sure @AndyRA would be please to furnish you with pics of his layout featuring the Southern end of the WCML.....................

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1724.msg746619#msg746619

There is another layout named 'Blue is the colour' but I can't recall which forum member owns it - sorry.

crewearpley40

Re blue is the colour @Newportnobby    will this jog your memory ?
   Norman Jones ring a bell ?   Oh burshaw north Western,  David forshaw.

Newportnobby

I've seen the layout several times, Chris, and have pics squirrelled away in various 'Exhibition' albums but can't winkle them out. There is no 'Norman Jones' on the forum and I assume hardly anyone uses their birth name for the forum anyway.
As you say, Burshaw North Western is another good 'un

Gordon

Quote from: montyburns1982 on July 07, 2022, 10:35:47 AM
Hi all,

I'm currently writing a book about prototypical railway operations in the BR Blue (TOPS) and Sectorisation eras. I have plenty of material, but one area where I am lacking is high quality pictures of N Gauge Layouts set in the BR Blue and Sectorisation eras, particularly those showing realistic modelling and/or operations.

If anyone has decent pictures, and they are willing to see them in print (properly credited of course), then please get in touch.

Many thanks
Richard

Great project. I am definitely in the 'realistic train make up' camp.
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

njee20

What about Blueball Summit? Not on here AFAIK, but exquisite modelling. Think the builder is on RMWeb.

What are you defining as realistic operations? Prototypical rakes, or are you thinking of more than just trains running in circles?

carlwooduk

Hi Richard,

I will be running 1970s Western  Region BR Blue locos and stock  on Vale of Oxbury both days 10 & 11th september at TINGS.
Are you planning to attend?
No photos to hand as layout has  been in storeage for a few months. Send me a PM if that helps you ; we may be able to sort a mini photo shoot before / aftre public opening times.
couple of examples attached of my stock.
Regards Carl

montyburns1982

Thanks for the responses guys, appreciated.

Unfortunately I won't be able to come and take photos because a) I'm struggling for time as it is and b) I'm the worlds worst photographer. I was rather hoping someone would have some good pictures I could use.

In terms of the scope of the book, it's a broad approach to 'realistic' operation covering formations, loading of wagons, track layouts, train operation, signalling layouts etc. Similar books have been produced in the past but always about the Steam era.

For anyone who is interested, here is a DRAFT lisat of chapters (names etc may change as I get further into the manuscript)

1)   The Railway As a System – Purpose, Destination, Traffic, Goods, Region, Geography
2)   Train Formations
a)   Total Operations Processing System (TOPS) and the vehicle CARKND
b)   Train Marker Lighting, Lamps and Headcodes
c)   Vehicle Compatibility – Couplers, Jumpers, Barriers and Translators
d)   Passenger
e)   Freight
f)   Departmental
g)   Special and Miscellaneous
3)   Civil Engineering (The Permanent Way)
a)   Track
b)   Earthworks
c)   Bridges, Viaducts and Tunnels
d)   Level Crossings
e)   Other Features
4)   Signalling
a)   The Purpose of Signalling & Signalling 101
b)   Semaphore, Colour Light and Other Signalling Systems
c)   Siting and Control of Signals
d)   Siting and Positioning of Ancillary Signalling Equipment
e)   AWS, TPWS and other Safety systems
5)   Power and Distribution
a)   25kV AC or 1500v DC Overhead Line Installations
b)   750v DC 3rd Rail Installations
c)   Siting and Positioning of Track Side Power Equipment
6)   Track Layouts
a)   Stations
b)   Junctions
c)   Sidings and Yards
d)   Maintenance and Servicing Depots
7)   Dressing The Scene
a)   Trackside Clutter
b)   Railway Buildings
c)   Life Outside The Railway Fence
d)   Vehicles and People
8)   Realistic Operations
a)   Movement with a purpose
b)   Developing a Working Timetable
c)   Interaction with Signals
d)   Operating Speeds
e)   Starting and Stopping
f)   Coupling and Uncoupling
g)   Shunting Operations
9)   Advanced Operations
a)   Realistic Block Working Using Multiple Operators
b)   Waybills and Realistic Wagon Paperwork
c)   Using Randomised Task/Event Cards

Regards

Richard

Chris Morris

I've got some strictly amateur photos. See https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47727.465

I could try to take a few specific photos with a better depth of field if that would be of any use.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Intercity

A layout I see a lot on Twitter is NSE Latchmere, it is very detailed and the builder/owner posts quite a few videos, I believe it's the other gauge though but might still be worth contacting for pics of the modeling world (railway model world that is)

AndyRA

A few pictures from the layout over the past few years.

A video clip of watching the trains go by.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzZ248yxBFU
If it looks difficult it probably is, but might as well get on with it anyway!

Layout :- West Coast (Southern Section)
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=2531;u=5731

Full story and pics at:-
https://www.facebook.com/WestCoastSouthernSection/

crewearpley40

montyburns1982

thanks for the great pictures those who've supplied them. I'll have a look to see what I can integrate into the book.

@AndyRA you can certainly tell the ex-signallers amongst us  :D

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations