Alternative West Country and Friends

Started by weave, October 16, 2018, 12:36:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weave

Ahoy, me hearties.

With there be talk of 'through runnings' on the Forum I was looking up the PO wagon liveries as I always forget what they are and what I've got.

Anyway, it's been a while so, as I have a bit of time on my hands, was wondering if anyone had any updates, rolling stock, characters, places etc. that they want adding to the first page introduction or even amending of old info.

I hope people still find it a useful reference point. I do as I still can't remember my own characters let alone anyone else's.

Just a thought.

Looking forward to any additions or new ideas and always enjoying your layouts.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Chris in Prague

Thanks, Chris (Weave). I think that Martin has added a few more characters, including loco. drivers and firemen?

As yet there is no livery for the St Agnes whiskey distillery that I am aware of? That's up to Martin, of course.

port perran

Sounds like we need a few pirates with your salutation there Weave   :D
Ye, I've got a few new characters though I'll need to look them up.
I , like you, can never remember who is who.
And...no livery yet for St Agnes but it does remind me, there are a few characters there too.
I'll get back to you.

Martin
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

weave

Thanks Chris (IP).

Although I still can't go up to the train room I am putting some thought into how the through wagons/container thing works regarding the ferry to Port Regleun and beyond as was never quite sure.

I'm about to get some International wagon decals with anchor symbols and the like. The first wagon to be made 'sea worthy' is Andrew's (@Milton Rail) Tullibardine whisky wagon which I believe is different to everyone else's as slightly longer and more suitable for ferry travel ??? maybe.

Not sure then if the other containers come over on UK wagons adapted for sea travel and European railways or on SNCF conflats with the containers transferred from/to UK wagons at Porthsea Quay.

Another thing to think about.

Hi Martin, looking forward but no hurries.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Chris in Prague

Hi Chris (Weave)

I wish you a speedy recovery. I have wanted an International wagon decals sheet with anchor symbols and the like for a long time. Can you buy a second?

To answer your questions:

1) Yes, your version of Andrew's (@Milton Rail) Tullibardine whisky wagon is a Continental (not UK BR ShocVam) LWB van.

2) The Containers would be lifted on and loaded onto dockside flat wagons. The containers were stowed on deck on the ferries. So you only need SNCF flat wagons. I have some NGS Container kits to make up more variants awaiting painting.

Stay safe and well!

weave

Hi all,

I've just edited the old Sant Pau de Mar layout name to the new Estepera Nord one as the layout has changed. The characters are the same but they have just moved to the city with the El Gaitero restaurant overlooking Estepera Bay and the girls now having a stall in the market overlooking the station. Not sure where the lad's bar will go but I'll find a way.

Will update the Estepera Nord thread later today regarding the market area and the Sausage Festival in September. As an intro here though, Estepera has a yearly Sausage Week (Setmana de Salsitxes) in September and this year (1964? can change but around that era) 'guest' vendors from Spain, France, Majorca, Sardinia and of course the UK are cordially invited.

It is believed that a specially adapted 'Palethorpes' wagon plus other wagons will be transported via the West Porthsea - Port Regleun train ferry next month, leased by Palethorpes to include not only their products but other sausages from around the UK.

A couple of CIWL coaches have also be laid on for vendors and staff so any names (character/company) for pre booking greatly appreciated.

It'll probably be the last week in September as I am a bit behind with the venue.

Hope that sounds good.

Cheers, weave  :beers:

weave

Hi all,

Have been looking at the reference bit (first post on page one of the thread) for my story continuation regarding the Chelsea Girls and just thought I'd post as I believe if a thread isn't used for a long time it might disappear.

If anyone looks at that and has any changes or additions to make please let me know and I can do so.

HAPPY EASTER and cheers, weave  :beers:

Chris in Prague

Thanks, Chris (Weave). BTW, I checked and you should have received, in May 2019, Preiser 79075 Figurines Girls N, alias the "Chelsea Girls". (John Frater should have them, also.)

We can add that, in Cornwall in 1963, Bertie Poppingham is in his early fifties and is accompanied by his friend, 'Snooper Johnny' James.

Additional characters to add are, I think, Sir Alastair Cadwallader, the Duke of Derbyshire; Sergeant Tremaine and PC Wontey of the Perranwell area.

guest10040

really enjoying this thread.
brings it all to life  :thumbsup:

cornish yorkie

:hellosign:
    Many thanks Chris (Weave) & Chris (IP), unfortunately very little to report as I am on feet up orders again. The plan is (almost) finalized hope to report more soon.
    stay safe regards Derek
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

weave

Hi Derek @cornish yorkie ,

Sorry but I don't know what you mean. What plan?

cornish yorkie

:hellosign:
   Chris (Weave), sorry for not being clear. My layout plan has gone round my head many times & is on Scarm, but at last finalized.
   stay safe regards Derek
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

weave

Hi all,

A question for Chris @Chris in Prague regarding the Chelsea Girls. Which ones, if any, are single? I know Sylvia is with Captain Jeremy Corentyn Cador but wasn't sure about the others and didn't want to cause any scandals in the recent story (although Eli was being a bit fruity  ;)).

Anyway, I should have asked before so thought I'd ask now for future stories (there might be a little vineyard layout on the horizon  :hmmm:).

Chris in Prague

Thanks, Chris (Weave). To date, the only recognised couple is indeed Sylvia Trevelver and Captain Jeremy Corentyn Cador. However, as Giles Roskrow is Jeremy's best friend and Eli (Elayne Guillou) is Sylvia's best friend and business partner in their own advertising agency, Trevelver and Guillou (Wadebridge and London, founded autumn 1962), Eli and Giles do spend a lot of time together and are good friends. Whether their relationship will develop beyond that is, at present, unknown. Giles enjoys the bachelor life in 'Swinging London' and Eli is a very independent young woman who also enjoys an active social life and the personal freedom that life in London (unlike a small town in Brittany) provides her.

Marielle Kerbriant, the SW England CIWL representative, who works with fellow Breton, Eli and Sylvia to publicise the CIWL Pullman "Star of the West" / 'L'etoile de l'Ouest', Britanny - Cornwall (via the West Porthsea Quay - Regleun train ferry) service, finds Giles, very charming, a fact of which Giles is well aware, however, he is not ready to settle down, yet. Some of the other, more minor, 'Chelsea Girls' have personal favourites among Giles' friends, Jim Tremayne, Phil Courtenay, Tom Carew, and Andy Tolverne.

Monique (the Parisienne "Chelsea Girl") is very good friends with the charming, Jean-Luc, who is the manager of the CIWL Workshop at Ostende, Belgium. The CIWL General Manager (who is Monique's father's older brother) is an old friend of Lady Penelope Trevelver, Sylvia's mother.

Another "Chelsea Girl" is, of course, Sofia, the beautiful daughter of Jose Maria de la Vega, the mayor of Sant Cristofol (capital of the Principat de Guin). She has long, glossy black lashes framing her large brown eyes. She has a narrow nose set above full, shining red lips. Her thick black eyebrows arch in perfect curves across a smooth brow framed by her wavy black hair. Like all her features, her ears were in precise harmony with the whole: small and delicate. Her voice was husky, low and naturally seductive. She also is determinedly free.

Lastly, there is Catala and Christian who certainly spent some time together as a couple. However, Catala could not even get Annabel to confirm Christian's real name.

Chris in Prague

We need to add some more recently described characters, including from the "St. Agnes" Cornish whisky distillery, Sir William Rundle and Lady Annabelle. I'm sure that there are more characters that Martin has added in his more recent tales.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations