Storage Boxes for locos and stock

Started by Donkey, June 21, 2012, 08:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REGP

Hi

I was lucky to get a set of the K R Multicases for my birthday recently and they are good in that you can easily adjust the size of the aperture to suit the truck, carriage or loco you're storing

Ray

Ollie3440

My rolling stock is kept in cheap card drawers which i picked up cheap from WHSmiths and my locos are kept in their boxes. But when i'm taking the layout to a show i transport the locos in the Blue boxes from the first post and my rolling stock i use the Park 'n' go from http://www.parkwood-arts.co.uk/html/n_gauge_.html

Ollie
Hi I'm Ollie, and I'm a addicted to buying MK1s......

My Previous Exhibition Layout - The Sheaf Valley Railway
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24.0

My Current Exhibition Layout - Wenlock
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23228.0

kirky

Hi Marty
Just catching up on some posts.
You might be interested in these pictures of my stock boxes:

So you want to know where I got them?
Well, the boxes are those cheap collapsable boxes from B and Q. I think I paid ten quid for three.

The foam inserts of course are the key to this. There are 2 stacks of seven in each box. As you can see on the photo there are two different types of foam tray, one cut in a landscapoe orientation and one cut in a portrait way. The one with long slots will accomodate a pair of container spine wagons,with containers, although I tend to store three pairs of spines in one slot (this means i dont have to faff on with the annoying spine coupler in the middle of the pair)
We had them specially cut for us by a bloke in  Seaham, and I think he is at games of War of Seaham. Sorry no link or phone number, but it might be googleable and I can certainly get it, just not tonight.
We paid somewhere between thirty and forty quid to fill a box, ie for 14 foam trays.
Hope this is of interest to you, and if you want to come and see them, then that wont be a problem I'm sure, just pm me.

Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance will be at Perth model railway show https://smet.org.uk/show/layouts/
June 24/25 2023.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Sprintex

That's the EXACT same crates I have !  ;D

The blue boxes from JB's fit perfectly in these, two side-by-side and four deep  :thumbsup:

Paul

scotsoft

Quote from: kirky on June 24, 2012, 09:15:05 PM
Hi Marty
Just catching up on some posts.
You might be interested in these pictures of my stock boxes:

So you want to know where I got them?
Well, the boxes are those cheap collapsable boxes from B and Q. I think I paid ten quid for three.

Cheers
Kirky

Those are a very nice and tidy solution for storage  :thumbsup:

cheers John.

Newportnobby

Blue storage boxes arrived today and I have to say they are a bit disappointing as there is only room for 10 coaches within the foam inner. Temporarily I have had to lay a second layer of coaches on top of the them while another solution is sought :thumbsdown:
Marty - if you haven't ordered them I would suggest you don't.

Sprintex

10? I presume your has the slots lengthways in the box rather than widthways then as mine only hold eight each  :)

How many did you expect to fit in??

Paul

Newportnobby

Quote from: Sprintex on June 30, 2012, 10:45:12 PM
10? I presume your has the slots lengthways in the box rather than widthways then as mine only hold eight each  :)

How many did you expect to fit in??

Paul

Yeah - the slots are lengthways so I can just get 2 coaches in each of the 5 lengths.
Dunno how many I expected to get in ??? Maybe I just had more unboxed stock than I thought :o ::)
Anyone found a use for the inserts that you remove?

Tank

I have 25 foam trays from JB, and I've never found out what to do with the inserts.  It just seems a shame to throw them away, and currently a waste of space also!!! :-\ :D

Sprintex

Quote from: newportnobby on June 30, 2012, 10:49:58 PM
Maybe I just had more unboxed stock than I thought :o ::)

That sounds more like it  :smiley-laughing:

I bought six boxes initially as he was doing a "three for 20 quid" offer at the 2009 AGM, got home to find I needed at least two more to fit all the stock I had even then  ;D Up to twelve now and they are ALL full  ::)

Paul

Malc

Quote from: Tank on June 30, 2012, 10:53:31 PM
I have 25 foam trays from JB, and I've never found out what to do with the inserts.  It just seems a shame to throw them away, and currently a waste of space also!!! :-\ :D

My first set of inserts had double sided tape attached and one or two ended up built into the scenery! Covered with cloth soaked in emulsion, they made a nice cutting.

Malc
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Donkey

Appreciate your comments NN but picked my 4 boxes up from the sorting office yesterday morning. I have just been putting some Mk 1 coaches into them and must say that I am pleased with them. Coaches are a nice snug fit without being too tight fitting, stock is easy to put in/take out yet still secure.
Agree it would have been nice to fit more in them but still happy with them  :)
Good idea about using the inserts for a cutting Malc, will try that when i finally get my trackwork finished  ;D

Marty

1936ace

Hi all, I use a small plastic unit sold by office works here in Australia to store and transport my stock. There are a few different sizes and at about $14 each they are fantastic. One has five drawers which take five farish loco boxes per drawer or about thirty Peco wagons in the box, the other has three standard drawers and one double depth drawer that will take and three car dmu box. They are stackable and came with little labels to stick on the front of the drawer. I don't have a large collection but can just fit per drawer the Peco wagons per company, a drawer each for gw,ne,sr,lms,br,civil,modern br I will take a photos and post
Bart

1936ace

Im not the quickest when it comes to computers, i leave it to the three year old to show me!. well here are photos of my storage boxes the shelves slide easily in and out and have a stopper so they just dont fall out.

Bart

Sprintex

Very neat Bart  :)

The problem with using the original boxes though is the time it takes to get stock out and put it away again, especially if the layout is portable or you regularly have to change stock  ;)

Fine if your layout/stock never move though  :)

Paul

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations