A Cant Cove 1964 Christmas Story

Started by Chris in Prague, December 24, 2015, 03:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris in Prague

Part 7

"We're fast almost at Okehampton", calls Driver Trevithick, "and she shows no signs of slowing down, let alone stopping! I've tried everything".

"I know, Driver," responds the by now equally worried senior railwayman who is determined to keep his calm for the sake of the much younger Fireman Rowse. "Still, despite our train's extraordinary speed, I have not noted any undue shaking, vibration or swaying."

"Yes, Inspector," replies the fireman, "but such a speed is not right, it's not normal and for NONE of us to be able to check her speed . . . "

"High time to take Sylvia and her chosen to Bodmin!" states Lady Ailla.

"Honoured Lady Ailla, one moment, if you please," interrupts Morwenna. "Maybe you are unaware that the Spell of Separation requires the subject to be stationary and Sylvia is, at present, speeding through the countryside . . . "

"On a train!" interrupts Lady Ailla. "Of course, I had not forgotten. I was about to . . . "

"Ask me if I could perform such a spell," interrupts Melinakora. "Such is," she sniffs, "well within my powers."

"Well, may I suggest that you get on with it, for at the speed at which those Elementals are taking her and her train she must be very close to Okehampton which, as you may not know, is the junction for the lines to the two Cornish terminus stations of Bude and Penmayne," informs Lady Ailla. "The Penmayne line, of course, being that closest to Bodmin."

"Esteemed Ladies, if I may interrupt your local geography lesson," interposes Morwenna. "Let us, together, address the Elementals and now!"

"That's Okehampton Junction, just ahead!" calls Fireman Rowse as the train approaches the engine shed, turntable and water tower located at the east end of the station. "We'll never stop in time!"

"Elementals of Earth, Air, Fire and Water, hear us! Bring the train to a halt in the station known as Okehampton but do so without any damage to train or passengers. And do it, NOW!" order the united female chorus.

On the locomotive's footplate, time seems to stand still then restart. But, staring ahead and to the left, the three railwaymen are astounded to find that the train is standing alongside the Down platform of Okehampton Station intact and on the rails.

Okehampton's Stationmaster approaches the locomotive's cab. "Gentlemen, I have been called from my warm bed at this Ungodly hour to see just what is going on" You have made record time all along the line. And what is this strange orange glow that surrounds your train?"

"Nicely done, Esteemed Ladies, I see the train bearing Sylvia has safely arrived at what you call the station of Okehampton," congratulates Melinakora. "Now, Sylvia, arise and let us take you to the Standing Stone in the Circle that once stood outside Bodmin!"

"Take my hand, dear Sylvia," says Morwenna, as Sylvia experiences the strangest sensation of flying up from her seat, through the coach roof and up into the night, hand in hand with the Keeper Of the Circle.

"Sylvia, now you must call Captain Jeremy Corentyn Cador to your side!" orders Melinakora.

Trevelver Castle suddenly looms larger and larger in front of Sylvia's eyes, a massive stone wall rushes towards her then shifts to one side to reveal one of the high arched windows which illuminates the Castle Library through which she seems to pass to see her father, Lord Trevelver, the Captain, and the Head Butler, poring over a map titled 'Minerva's Isle', there are official files whose brown covers are stamped in red "TOP SECRET", on the table to one side and a decanter and glasses on the other. The Captain gives a start as though he has seen something or someone and, turning away from the map, rises from his chair.

"Take his right hand in your left as he turns", instructs Morwenna, "I will keep your right tightly in my left."

"Why Sylvia, what are you doing here, you should not be seeing this . . . meeting and . . . why am I flying with you and this stranger through the . . . window and  . . up into the sky?"

"Dear Jeremy, trust me, all will be explained", smiles Sylvia, squeezing his hand. "This is the Esteemed Lady Morwenna who will be taking us to Bodmin on a matter of the utmost urgency!"

Chris in Prague

The story will be continued and concluded, soon. I'm rather busy, at present.

Chris in Prague

Many apologies for the pause. I hope to finish this story over Easter.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations