Ratio or Metclafe

Started by bbdave, July 09, 2012, 08:28:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbdave

I am looking to buy some buildings i already have a Ratio engine shed and provender shed which have made up into passable units with my painting, i have not attempted a Metcalfe cardboard kit yet. So out of choice what would you go for ignoring the price differences continue with Ratio or go Metcalfe?.

Dave

port perran

If you are happy with Ratio then you will hopefully have no problem with the Metcalfe kits.
Perhaps, weathering is a little easier with Ratio but that's only a personal opinion.
No reason why you can't have a varirty of both.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

painbrook

Dave, I've used both makes and they are fine. If you want/need to fill a large area say terracing or a factory etc, you should go for Metcalfe, I used them for my small terrace, factory come dairy and goods shed, also bought for me was some platforms, the problems I've noticed with card is the tendency to warp, most noticable with platforms but also with building. My first plastic building was Kestrel,s 'town station' which I found was to big for the space alloted,next try was Peco's 'country station' which was just right  plus nice to build. Peco again, this for their 'engine shed' again nice to build and looks the part. For the Signal box I chose Ratio, ok but I thought the hand rail etching was a bit flimsy, the overall look of the box, is to me a bit 'busy' if you know what I mean. Anyway just my thoughts but it's all down to the individual, whatever your happy with is the way to go. Cheers john.

Mustermark

Metcalfe make some nice kits and look good except for the white corners that you need to have a stock of pencils to color in, and on balance I think the plastic of the Ratio kits needs weathering all over to be at all realistic.

I have switched to Scalescenes.  More work cutting out, but so much more realistic!  Sorry if that is off topic!!!

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

elmo

If you plan to be using your railway/buildings for a long time then go for the ratio. I have agoods shed that is nearly 25 years old. It is on its 2nd layout and had a repaint. Some other ratio buildings are nearly as old, my cattle dock and station building were purchased at the same time as the goods shed and are still in use.
My Metcalfe and brick paper buildings have either needed replacement due to looking old and worn or they are now looking worn. Accidental knocks dont help but the plastic is more robust and repairable/replaceable.

Elmo

bbdave

Scalescenes i didn't know about them do you just download print then paste onto card?

Dave

Karhedron

Quote from: bbdave on July 10, 2012, 04:46:22 PM
Scalescenes i didn't know about them do you just download print then paste onto card?
Pretty much. Once downloaded you can print out as many copies as you want. Not so important for one-off items like signal boxes perhaps but great for making terraced houses, long retaining walls, viaduct arches etc. If you want to avoid spoiling the finish with glue, some people print them onto A4 sheets of self-adhesive labels.

As to which to go for, it is probably a matter of personal choice. Card is much faster as they do not require painting (although they can be greatly improved with a little weathering). Plastic is more durable in the long run and not prone to damp.

I go for plastic but that is because I am sufficiently confident of my painting skills and I quite enjoy the painting. For others the equation may be different.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Oldman

Use whatever medium has the building that I want.
Have Plastic -mainly Kestrel, Card Pre Printed -Metcalfe, Card downloads - Scalescenes and a lot of Freebies I have found.
Also have Farish, Lyddle End, Tomytec, Greenmax, Sankei, and some very nice small Laser cut wooden structures.

Just go with the medium that has the building you want.
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

MinZaPint

Re Scalescenes: if you go to their site you'll see that they have a couple of free kits you can download to try, I find them very good although it does take me ages to make them (My eyes are dim etc.)

http://www.scalescenes.com/

I've just built their Medium station and did the small goods shed for my test piece., best of luck and keep us posted with what you're upto  :thumbsup:
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Mustermark

I use Avery shipping label sheets for my Scalescenes to save glueing down.  Works a treat.  Have a quick search on the forum for Avery.  Should turn up a few threads on the subject.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Oakland Raider

If you want non-railway buildings such as terraced houses, shops etc the following is also worth a look (good value and quality and excellent customer service):

http://www.ngaugecardkits.co.uk
Keith

Newportnobby

Dave - I think John has a very good point in reply #2.
A lot will depend on where your layout resides and if you suffer from extremes of temperature which could affect card kits unless they are suitably braced. Plastics are better in that respect.

bbdave

My layout is portable and lives under the spare bed it will be moved to a new house/flat as and when it is a solid ply build.

As i said i have two ratio buildings i was just considering other options before i commit to buying i'm looking for a farm and out buildings, some cottages a small industry fed by canal and rail and associated businesses coal/timber merchants. It looks like it will be a mixture as i can't see everything i need from one place.

This is my build (hopefully)
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=2848.0

The two Ratio buildings i have finished ignor the ground this is just a filler to be covered up

Dave

Newportnobby

If I remember correctly some new arrivals in the Farish Scenecraft range are farm buildings

bbdave

Quote from: newportnobby on July 10, 2012, 09:19:56 PM
If I remember correctly some new arrivals in the Farish Scenecraft range are farm buildings

They do but the cost does come into it then as the full farm set comes to around £90

Dave

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations