Rapido Coupling

Started by Brian Riley, September 29, 2021, 02:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Riley

I have a number of old wagons whose Rapido couplings appear to sticking and coming unconnected from the remainder of the rake.

Can they be oiled, washed or what to get them to function better?

maridunian

Hi Brian

It depends. What brand are the wagons, and how old, roughly?

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

ntpntpntp

"Sticking" in what way - you mean not sitting level?

As Mike says there are a few different designs of mount and pocket used with Rapido couplings over the years, for example Peco ELC (light lift T shank with no spring), Grafar "U-bend" with a pin, T-shank and coil spring (probably the most common older mount), Fleischmann leaf spring, and of course the newer NEM pocket.    How you tackle adjustment of couplings depends on the mount. 

Normally they do play pretty well together but just occasionally one or two can play up. I have easily over 1200 items of stock from many different manufacturers.  Sometimes it's just a couple of wagons that hate to stay together, in which case I first try turning one wagon 180 degrees in the train, or maybe move it somewhere else in the rake :)

Some folk use Copydex or similar, applying a tiny drop to the inside faces of the couplers or across the top of two joined couplers. Ok for semi-permanent rakes but not to good for regular shunting.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Brian Riley

The one playing up last night were Pecorino and getting close to 40 years old.

ntpntpntp

Quote from: Brian Riley on September 29, 2021, 07:27:56 PM
The one playing up last night were Pecorino and getting close to 40 years old.
? Peco ?

OK so the Peco ELC coupling (Easy Light-lift Close-coupling is I believe what the acronym stands for) is deliberately designed to be a bit loose in the pocket and without a spring to as to allow uncoupling without lifting the whole wagon in the process. It should sit level but be easy to lift up with a simple tool, an uncoupling ramp,  or using an electromagnet and metal arms attached under the couplings. 

When I was running British N back in the 70s and early 80s I liked ELCs on the light little wagons and vans, easier to shunt with than the stiff Farish couplings and the other sprung type on Minitrix, Lima etc.

The Continental stock I run now tends to be heavier and the standard sprung couplings are fine with those.

So, what's happening with your troublesome ELCs - are they lifting and staying stuck up at an angle? Could be dust or other grot in the pocket. I wouldn't go applying oil in there, that will just attract more dirt.  Probably need to dismantle the wagon to lift out and check the couplings (I seem to recall Peco wagons have a nut screwed underneath?)  Perhaps re-fit with just a tiny light rub of graphite or pencil lead on the shank.

Alternatively if they're drooping that's usually because the body is slightly loose on the chassis.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

chrism

Quote from: ntpntpntp on September 29, 2021, 08:25:30 PM
So, what's happening with your troublesome ELCs - are they lifting and staying stuck up at an angle? Could be dust or other grot in the pocket. I wouldn't go applying oil in there, that will just attract more dirt.  Probably need to dismantle the wagon to lift out and check the couplings (I seem to recall Peco wagons have a nut screwed underneath?)  Perhaps re-fit with just a tiny light rub of graphite or pencil lead on the shank.

They certainly have nuts to hold the body to the chassis now, don't know about very old ones - you do need to be careful not to tighten them too much, as the steel nut only bites on a thin plastic peg which is easily snapped or stripped.

I'd second the graphite suggestion. A a first attempt, try giving the coupling and box a good blow either by mouth or with a can of compressed air, Then brush a little powdered graphite on the coupling shanks and the sides of the slot in the box.

Definitely not oil, I suspect that just the surface tension and "tackiness" of the oil would be sufficient to prevent the couplings dropping at all, let alone being a dirt magnet to make the problem even worse.

crewearpley40

I found graphite powder in a local art / stationers shop 100g or 500g tin and both ntp and chris beat me to it. An old piece of newspaper where your working helps contain thebpowder with a fine brush. I also use a cocktail stick to remove anything untoward

chrism

Quote from: crewearpley40 on September 30, 2021, 06:50:20 AM
I found graphite powder in a local art / stationers shop 100g or 500g tin and both ntp and chris beat me to it. An old piece of newspaper where your working helps contain thebpowder with a fine brush. I also use a cocktail stick to remove anything untoward

At the moment I use a puffer bottle of it, as sold for lubricating locks.

For small quantities, a pencil and a bit of fairly coarse sandpaper will produce enough.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £70.23
Below Goal: £29.77
Site Currency: GBP
70% 
April Donations