Random Delivery

Started by Kaput, April 10, 2021, 12:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaput

So, completely out of the blue an N guage Class 57 (371-659) was delivered to me

Thing is, I haven't ordered one (the 57 has no interest for me) but its addressed to me.
There is a return address on it but its just a home address and has no name.
No paperwork with it.

What to do with it? Other than the obvious post it back to sender cause knowing the post office that'll cost me money.

Fardap

I would have said a random act of kindness... but as it is a diesel...  >:D

stevewalker

Why not send the sender a letter rather than take on the cost of sending it back?

ntpntpntp

Ping the seller a letter first.  Are they someone you've bought from in the past, and this time they've simply looked up the wrong address when preparing the item for someone else?
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Kaput

Quote from: ntpntpntp on April 10, 2021, 01:30:14 PM
Ping the seller a letter first.  Are they someone you've bought from in the past, and this time they've simply looked up the wrong address when preparing the item for someone else?

That was one of my thoughts but the only places I buy from is retailers and ebay. None of the information available to me on ebay helps confirm or deny that theory since I can't see a way to check a sellers location unless they are currently selling something.

Sending a letter is probably the best idea I suppose.

daffy

Yes a letter to the sender would be my thought. I'd suggest not mentioning exactly what was sent, then if the sender confirms what was sent you will know how to proceed.
As Nick said, it could be a genuine error by the sender in selecting a wrong address, but hopefully it is a kind soul who knows you and thought you'd like it.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

joe cassidy

Have you checked with your family/friends ?

Maybe it's a surprise present from someone.

Les1952

carefully package so it looks as if it hasn't been opened.  Write "not known" over your address and circle the "from" address and it should go back free..

Just a thought.

Les

Kaput

Turns out it was a competition win of some sort via BRM or its website. Oh well.

njee20

How random! Nice model that 57 though, get it on eBay and you'll probably get the best part of £100 back!

chrism

Quote from: Kaput on May 02, 2021, 10:58:26 AM
Turns out it was a competition win of some sort via BRM or its website. Oh well.

I had similar once, although the goods didn't just "turn up".
I happened to ahve a look to check that nothing genuine had gone into my email spam folder and found an email asking what jacket size I took. It turned out that ordering some Fuji branded DVDRs had entered me in a draw and I'd won, I got a Fuji digital camera and a good quality fleece jacket.

Handy really, the DVDRs were rubbish  :smiley-laughing:

daffy

Quote from: njee20 on May 02, 2021, 11:13:21 AM
How random! Nice model that 57 though, get it on eBay and you'll probably get the best part of £100 back!

Or send it anonymously to a friend with no details and confuse the hell out of them too! :D

Odd that BRM or whoever put no details with it though.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

emjaybee

Good result. Lucky old you.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

RailGooner

Quote from: daffy on May 02, 2021, 12:44:20 PM
Quote from: njee20 on May 02, 2021, 11:13:21 AM

Or send it anonymously to a friend with no details and confuse the hell out of them too! :D

Odd that BRM or whoever put no details with it though.

:wave: @Kaput , can I be your friend?! :D

zwilnik

What is it with magazines and not telling you they're sending you stuff? Years ago I entered a competition in Mac Format magazine to win a computer. In those pre internet magazine days, you'd only read the results 3 months after the prize had been awarded and by that time I'd moved flat. It turns out I won, but they'd not contacted me (even though email was very much a thing then) and sent it to my old address, who just nicked it and claimed it never arrived. I went to report the theft, but as it was entirely Mac Format's responsibility until I signed for the package I ended up having to push them to sort it out (which took another 3 months of them claiming no responsibility and me threatening them with trading and advertising standards).

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations