What Era do you model?

Started by PGN, August 14, 2015, 09:21:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D1042 Western Princess

Since 'eras' are inaccurate and meaningless I do not model any particular one. An example of what I mean can be found quite simply - consider the case below.
My layout is set c1970 on the Western Region, this covering between Era 6 and Era 7 (OK so far BUT) the dates are from 1967 to 1982!
This would allow me to run D600s (Class 41s), D9500s (Class 14s), D6300s (Class 22s) and D800s (Class 42/3) all of which were scrapped by 1972, alongside Class 56s (which entered service in 1976), HSTs (1976), 87s (1973) - the whole thing is a farce, in my opinion.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: sparky on August 15, 2015, 09:09:08 AM
BR blue Western Region diesels for me...although I have slipped in odd Era 8 liveries and the odd rogue loco that doesn't really fit like a blue Deltic....reflects my spotting times and is my way of turning the clock back....strangely enough I am thinking of moving on my Deltic and sector liveried locos as I still prefer seeing my rakes pulled by a BR blue loco...the other thing for me is that other than the Westerns and a tiny number of peaks all the locos in my spotting days had been converted to full TOP codes...I could not run a peak with a D number much preferring 45 or 46xxx.....as again it doesn't look right to me !

Sparky, don't forget that during resignalling trials for the HST in 1975 the WR did 'borrow' a Deltic as there was a desire to use a 100 mph + loco. As ever a  :dunce: management (what else could you call them who scrapped the Westerns?) had also scrapped Falcon, the WR's own 100mph+ loco only a few months before  ::)  :-[!
So your using a Deltic on the WR is not a problem.

Roy L S

It is interesting to discuss what makes people model the eras they do. I simply do not buy the general assumption that it is simply what people remember or age related.

Even on this forum where we know there are a good number who model more recent times it is clear from this poll that steam/diesel transition is by some way the single most popular epoch with this and early BR steam together adding up to a pretty sizeable percentage of the vote.

Personally my most vivid memories are of post 1975 but I choose not to model the BR blue era because it was a time of much run down and neglect. Yes, the period fascinates me in some ways as to modern times but I think a lot of people model the earlier BR epochs and especially steam/diesel transition not because it is what they remember but because it was a period when railways had much variety in terms of traction and trains, there were still local goods yards, staffed stations and the Beeching rationalisation had not really started to take full effect.

Roy

steve836

I voted eras 4 &5 as that is the period I am currently modelling. I did, however start modelling era 2 when I modelled in that other gauge and possibly would again if either RTR stock or the parts needed for scratchbuilding were available.
I  like early BR because 1, that is the era I was brought up in and 2, most types of kettle were still about in era 4 and most types of diesel in era 5
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Dylan Cole

Originally Era 4 & 5, but then Dapol re-released their HST bookset and suddenly I had to have an intercity swallow livery HST. Now it is more a heritage line, if I ever manage to get to building the layout.

ChrisWV10

Chetcombe

Interesting poll topic, thanks for posting.

1964 to 1976 is the era for Chetcombe. Those 12 years take in steam through to the introduction of the HST, which covers an amazing 3 eras. I wonder if there is another brief 12 year or so period that covers 3 different eras...
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

Cutter

I model era 3, focused on 1925-35.

G_N_E_R

We need another era 'Era 10 2015-' (maybe even 2012?) as so much has changed since privatization I model 2003 which has nothing to do with what will be gwr, cross country etc.
anyone else been thinking this?

NeMo

Quote from: G_N_E_R on August 18, 2015, 08:40:11 AM
We need another era 'Era 10 2015-' (maybe even 2012?) as so much has changed since privatization I model 2003 which has nothing to do with what will be gwr, cross country etc.
You're not wrong. But perhaps you could simply say that you're modelling "Early Era 9" or "Late Era 9" when discussing your layout with your peers.

Don't forget that the era system is there to simplify things. For example, the "Era 1" pre-grouping period is very long, around a hundred years when you think about it. The reason it isn't subdivided is that very few people model anything other than the immediate pre-grouping (1900-1923) time frame. That's because ready-to-run models for anytime pre-1900 are very rare indeed, and the further back you go, the rarer they become.

I do believe as modellers we get hung up on the era system for its inaccuracies. That's entirely missing the point of it, rather like saying that the Highway Code is rubbish because it isn't much use to a Formula 1 driver. The era system exists to help those people who aren't modellers (such as parents of a train-mad youngster) get appropriate presents, and for those just starting out in the hobby but with limited knowledge (such as the aforementioned youngster) to buy something for their layout that won't be wildly inappropriate. And that's it. For the rest of us, it's a convenience that may or may not be useful.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Sprintex

Quote from: NeMo on August 18, 2015, 09:36:01 AM
I do believe as modellers we get hung up on the era system for its inaccuracies. That's entirely missing the point of it, rather like saying that the Highway Code is rubbish because it isn't much use to a Formula 1 driver.

That comparison is about as relevant as the era system itself :no: The Highway Code is all about driving on the public highway, something a F1 car cannot do without special permission since it's not road legal.

The eras are 'meant' to represent a major shift in train types or liveries across the network - sometimes more accurately than others. There has been no such shift since privatisation occurred, liveries have come and gone on individual TOCs and a few new trains/locos added, but until there is a massive wholesale change there's no need for another era.

Paul

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: G_N_E_R on August 18, 2015, 08:40:11 AM

Or maybe you could just say you are building a layout based on current practice?
So much easier for everyone, enthusiast and non enthusiast alike, to understand.

Agrippa

So it's basically era today , gone tomorrow...................

I'll get me coat...............
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: NeMo on August 18, 2015, 09:36:01 AM
Don't forget that the era system is there to simplify things.

The era system exists to help those people who aren't modellers (such as parents of a train-mad youngster) get appropriate presents, and for those just starting out in the hobby but with limited knowledge (such as the aforementioned youngster) to buy something for their layout that won't be wildly inappropriate. And that's it. For the rest of us, it's a convenience that may or may not be useful.

Cheers, NeMo

Sorry NeMo, but I believe you are a bit out with this. Yes, it's the idea to simplify things, but it doesn't work in practice, and it only complicates things in my view.
OK, so a beginner sees something marked 'Era 7' for example - 1971 to 1982, Corporate Blue/ TOPS. OK they think, perfect for my layout.
Except that is wrong because TOPS numbers only began to be applied on locos from AROUND 1973 and there were still lots of maroon locos and coaches around in 1971 and 72 with some green even as late as 1975!

That's before we begin to consider Westerns, Warships, 22s and Hymeks, scrapped during 'Era 7',  or 'Era 7' HSTs/Class 56s etc which were introduced later (post 1976). But the Era system tells us it's OK to run a Class 22 as late as 1982 or an HST/ Class 56 as early as 1971 for examples! You couldn't make it up.

Then there's the whole question of geography.
Like us our mythical beginner decides to model the early 1970s Western Region but the 'Era' system does not allow for this so his/her parents buy, in good faith (because the 'Era system says it's appropriate), a TOPS coded Class 26!
Take another example.
The Era system tells us that 'Era 3' ended in 1947 except that some of the vehicles were still carrying GWR and other 'Era 3' liveries well into Era 5 so this leads to confusion, in an historic sense, too. Some Toad brake vans went for scrapping as late as 1962 still carrying FULL GWR livery.
Were manufacturers to be sensible and take the OBVIOUS approach it would be so much easier all round.
All they needed to do was put 'Livery applies to Western Region, 1966 - 1971' (or whatever) on the box.
Says everything you need to know - solves all the problems and is simple.
The 'Era' system doesn't work for British railways - too many historical 'exceptions', geographical confusions and all round anomalies to consider it as a serious contender. Slavishly following an 'Era' leads not to a better model but an unintended application of 'Rule One'.
As ever, my personal opinions - I don't anticipate everyone will agree.

NeMo

Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on August 18, 2015, 10:31:41 AM
As ever, my personal opinions - I don't anticipate everyone will agree.
Indeed, I disagree; I think you're splitting hairs unnecessarily.

Of course there are lots of exceptions. I well remember seeing Class 15s at Marylebone in BR green circa 1985. Admittedly they were non-mobile train heating machines, but nonetheless, they were one of many BR green locos still kicking about well beyond 1968. I think I'm right in saying there were even a couple of BR black shunters (complete with ferret-and-dartboard badge) working the Holyhead causeway!

I also think you're spot on about regional variation mattering at least as much time periods. After all, running LNER pacific 4468 'Mallard' on your GWR branchline might be correct in terms of 'era' but completely wrong in every other way that matters.

But none of this is important to why Bachmann (and other model companies) use eras. They aren't an *alternative* to doing research. They're a *first step* for those who don't otherwise know anything about trains, and more importantly, either can't or won't do the research needed to establish the correct provenance of a model.

I understand your points entirely though, and obviously I'd have no argument with someone running a BR blue 'Western' alongside an early livery HST despite their different eras, or for that matter, mixing up maroon and blue/grey Mk1 coaching stock in a train being hauled by a BR green 'Hymek'. It's all good, and it's all realistic.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations