What Era do you model?

Started by PGN, August 14, 2015, 09:21:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yet_Another

Corresponds more or less exactly with my daily-trip-to-school-train-travelling.

Although technically, I don't model anything, having bought RTR stock & not having a layout yet.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

MikeDunn

Quote from: port perran on August 14, 2015, 04:13:11 PM.
I suggest that many who voted for era 5 and lower would be aged over 55.
What a stereotypical statement that is !!!  Just because someone is over 55 doesn't mean they go for Eras 1-5, and neither does it mean those under 55 go for Eras 6-onwards !

Age-wise I fit into your latter category (BR Blue was the rage in my youth), but Era-wise it's 3 for me ...  And I suspect many others are the same (not the Era, but not following your statement)

Komata

As one who models an  'overseas' railway, I have voted according to the era.

The final results will be interesting. 
"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

Hyperion

Voted according to what I have purchased so far....
DC or DCC, that is the question.

austinbob

Quote from: MikeDunn on August 14, 2015, 07:59:42 PM
Quote from: port perran on August 14, 2015, 04:13:11 PM.
I suggest that many who voted for era 5 and lower would be aged over 55.
What a stereotypical statement that is !!!  Just because someone is over 55 doesn't mean they go for Eras 1-5, and neither does it mean those under 55 go for Eras 6-onwards !

Age-wise I fit into your latter category (BR Blue was the rage in my youth), but Era-wise it's 3 for me ...  And I suspect many others are the same (not the Era, but not following your statement)
Port Perran did say 'many would be over the age 55' and not 'all' I think what he says is probably largely true. It certainly is of the N gauge colleagues I know.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

sparky

BR blue Western Region diesels for me...although I have slipped in odd Era 8 liveries and the odd rogue loco that doesn't really fit like a blue Deltic....reflects my spotting times and is my way of turning the clock back....strangely enough I am thinking of moving on my Deltic and sector liveried locos as I still prefer seeing my rakes pulled by a BR blue loco...the other thing for me is that other than the Westerns and a tiny number of peaks all the locos in my spotting days had been converted to full TOP codes...I could not run a peak with a D number much preferring 45 or 46xxx.....as again it doesn't look right to me !

Skyline2uk

Quote from: sparky on August 15, 2015, 09:09:08 AM
BR blue Western Region diesels for me...although I have slipped in odd Era 8 liveries and the odd rogue loco that doesn't really fit like a blue Deltic....reflects my spotting times and is my way of turning the clock back....strangely enough I am thinking of moving on my Deltic and sector liveried locos as I still prefer seeing my rakes pulled by a BR blue loco...the other thing for me is that other than the Westerns and a tiny number of peaks all the locos in my spotting days had been converted to full TOP codes...I could not run a peak with a D number much preferring 45 or 46xxx.....as again it doesn't look right to me !

Well I will have a look if and when you see you sector fleet, triple grey will always have a home with me  :thumbsup:

Skyline2uk

marco neri

:hellosign:
Era 8 and 9.....steamers and old diesels used only for heritage/gala trains on my layout..and emergency..!
:NGF:

Cheers from Narnia

Marco
...never turn you back on the ripper (judas priest)

MikeDunn

Quote from: austinbob on August 15, 2015, 08:17:46 AM
Port Perran did say 'many would be over the age 55' and not 'all' I think what he says is probably largely true.
A spot of research brings this up :
Stereotypes lead people to expect certain actions from members of social groups. These stereotype-based expectations may lead to self-fulfilling prophecies, in which one's inaccurate expectations about a person's behavior, through social interaction, prompt that person to act in stereotype-consistent ways, thus confirming one's erroneous expectations and validating the stereotype
Hence my objection to the stereotypical labelling.  It's bad enough that those not in the hobby, as well as some of the magazines, spout this crap without our own labelling us badly too  :worried:

Mike

[Kassin, Saul M.; Fein, Steven; Markus, Hazel Rose (2011). Social psychology (8th ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning . p. 172. ISBN  978-0-495-81240-1 .

Brown, Rupert (2010). Prejudice: Its Social Psychology (2nd ed.). Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell. pp. 94–97. ISBN  978-1-4051-1306-9 .

Chen, Mark; Bargh, John A. (1997). "Nonconscious Behavioral Confirmation Processes: The Self-Fulfilling Consequences of Automatic Stereotype Activation"  (PDF). Journal of Experimental Social Psychology  33 (5): 541–560. doi :10.1006/jesp.1997.1329 .]

Oldman

Not voting but the reason why is I model different scales and  it's all narrow gauge
which could throw a spanner in the works as some rolling stock is pre 1900 but other bits could be much later rebuilds and modern replacements.
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

austinbob

Quote from: MikeDunn on August 15, 2015, 09:50:41 AM
Quote from: austinbob on August 15, 2015, 08:17:46 AM
Port Perran did say 'many would be over the age 55' and not 'all' I think what he says is probably largely true.
A spot of research brings this up :
Stereotypes lead people to expect certain actions from members of social groups. These stereotype-based expectations may lead to self-fulfilling prophecies, in which one's inaccurate expectations about a person's behavior, through social interaction, prompt that person to act in stereotype-consistent ways, thus confirming one's erroneous expectations and validating the stereotype
Hence my objection to the stereotypical labelling.  It's bad enough that those not in the hobby, as well as some of the magazines, spout this crap without our own labelling us badly too  :worried:

Mike

[Kassin, Saul M.; Fein, Steven; Markus, Hazel Rose (2011). Social psychology (8th ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning . p. 172. ISBN  978-0-495-81240-1 .

Brown, Rupert (2010). Prejudice: Its Social Psychology (2nd ed.). Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell. pp. 94–97. ISBN  978-1-4051-1306-9 .

Chen, Mark; Bargh, John A. (1997). "Nonconscious Behavioral Confirmation Processes: The Self-Fulfilling Consequences of Automatic Stereotype Activation"  (PDF). Journal of Experimental Social Psychology  33 (5): 541–560. doi :10.1006/jesp.1997.1329 .]
Wow Mike - Heavy stuff.  :hmmm:
No time to read all that stuff - gotta get back to playing trains.    :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

MikeDunn

It's amazing what Google & Wiki pop up  :P

austinbob

Quote from: MikeDunn on August 15, 2015, 10:17:53 AM
It's amazing what Google & Wiki pop up  :P
And there was me thinking you actually new about all this psychology stuff.... :laughabovepost:

Bob Austin

MikeDunn

God no - I'm a science geek  :no:

ten0G

I voted according to the models I've bought so far, can't start a model until I have a more accommodating residence. 

Western Region was a no-brainer for me as all I saw locally in my youth were SR green EMUs, replaced with Corporate Blue before I finished my education. 

I was converted to "God's Wonderful Railway" when I saw the TV series for kids.  I decided that the late 1950s would be the best period to model because of the wide range of liveries that were in use at that time:

Crimson, plain Maroon and Blood & Custard on ex-GW stock
Umber & Cream Pullmans
Chocolate & Cream on Mk1 WR named expresses
Blood & Custard and Lined Maroon on other Mk1 stock
Unicycling Lion on earlier liveried locomotives
Ferret & Dartboard on later liveried locomotives

Also, that period has the widest range of steam loco designs thanks to Riddles' BR Standard classes.

The introduction of ferret roundels on Mk1s is about my cut-off point.  It's not all straightforward though.  It was a gradual process and some express rakes didn't have them for a long time, so variety there as well .  Not many Chocolate & Cream Mk1 models are without them unfortunately. 

Also, there was controversy over which direction the ferret could face which led to some engines having them facing forward on both sides like the lion.  I notice that now some model panniers have a lion facing the wrong way so photos of both sides need to be studied before a purchase goes ahead. 

But my collection is growing so I'm making progress very slowly. 

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations