Rant, Cry for help, Shoulder to cry on?

Started by David Asquith, March 09, 2014, 11:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Asquith

Michael,

Haven't had problems with other long wheelbase wagons and carriages so I'm thinking its a combination of small wheels, irregular track and the half circle of set track curves.

Dave

Bealman

Dave, it is possible to lay flexible track on a curve without a tracksetta - it once again comes down to eyeballing it both from above and from track level, and taking your time. If it is double track, check clearances with two of your longest coaches or wagons. I do not own a tracksetta!

However, having said that, it could be best to wait until you acquire one - knowing what I know now, if I had my time over I would have used one.

Hindsight is a wonderful but often useless thing!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

David Asquith

Bealman,

Perhaps your right.  By the time I figure out a partial new track plan the tracksettas will have arrived.  You are also right about hindsight but I get a crick in my neck constantly looking behind me!

Dave

Bealman

:laughabovepost: :laughabovepost:

You and me both, mate.

Cheers, George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

MattJ

If like me you used 9mm ply for your base, offcuts can be used to wedge between the rails to hold them straight until the copydex dries!
They're there for their tea.

4x2

Quote from: Espantrainfan on March 10, 2014, 10:28:14 PM
Thanks Mike,

I think I'll try and go for an even bigger radii where I can but I can now see where my biggest problem is.  My set track curves form a semi circle at one end of the layout so there is sideways pull on the wagons as they get to the centre of the curve.  I know what the radius of a circle is but can you tell me how this is applied to track.  What is the 10 3/8" please.  Excuse my ignorance.  What I really mean is how would I lay flexi track without a tracksetta as I  can't wait for them to arrive from the UK.

Thanks

Dave
Hi Dave ! Make a cardboard template, Peco setrack No2 radius is 10 3/8 inches or 263.5mm (Sorry I should of put that in my first reply... :doh:).
What can help is if you're using flexi track start the curve gently and progressively get tighter, and then do the same on the exit. That will reduce the sudden change from straight to curve which can upset some wagons.
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Mike W

We've had problems with Farish intermodals derailing on a club layout, on which everything else runs fine. I haven't spent much time trying to find a solution, but we did try adding some weight to the wagons which seemed to make things somewhat better. I always make sure I don't run them when I'm operating.

ParkeNd

Quote from: Espantrainfan on March 11, 2014, 02:10:26 AM
Bealman,

Perhaps your right.  By the time I figure out a partial new track plan the tracksettas will have arrived.  You are also right about hindsight but I get a crick in my neck constantly looking behind me!

Dave

Ordering your Tracksettas was a good move. Especially if you have also ordered the 10" straight. They are not just for bending track - they are invaluable for maintaining alignment when joining two pieces of track. No amount of squinting along track will help with this - only expose where you haven't quite got it right. The straight one is actually the most useful IMHO. No piece of flexitrack is ever straight in the box as running one of these down a piece of flexi will show. It also makes lining points up with flexi very reliable.

Considering how cheap they are and how well they work, not buying them is for skinflints.

David Asquith

:thankyousign: again all for your input.  I managed to figure out the 'footprint' of 3rd radius curves with the figures and diaframs   :laugh: in a settrack book and then to see how they would fit on my board used a nail, piece of string and a pencil.  I will of course use tracksettas when I lay the track.
Still working on revised track plan so I don't have a semicircle to go back the other way.  I'm thinking of having sections of straight track between sections of 3rd radius curves.  Would this work?  If so what length/ratio is advised.
I want my container yard to be 'drive through'(?) but If I can't fit it in it might have to be a cul de sac with run around loop.  You can see I'm really up on the railway terminology can't you!
Left the dia bolical error above. Just to see if it amused anyone else besides me

Dave

David Asquith

Mike W,

What radius curves are they on your club layout.  Do you have problems with the intermodals on the curves.  What do you think to placing straights into long curves.  Your opinion or anyone elses opinion or experiences would be appreciated.

Dave

ParkeNd

No problems at all with long curves joined by Tracksettas - you can't even see where the joins are. Likewise with straights joining curves - just run the curved Tracksetta up to about four inches from the end of the curve - then overlap a straight Tracksetta from the straight into about two inches of the curve. Connect via rail joiners, and put track pins in through the slots in the Tracksettas.  Take the Tracksettas out.

mr bachmann

simple tip , N track will fit inside 00 track , so why not use this combination upside down to lay straight track in long length's in one go ?
same for curves , but smallest will be 18" rad

alan

ColinH

Quote from: ParkeNd on March 15, 2014, 07:00:36 PM
No problems at all with long curves joined by Tracksettas - you can't even see where the joins are. Likewise with straights joining curves - just run the curved Tracksetta up to about four inches from the end of the curve - then overlap a straight Tracksetta from the straight into about two inches of the curve. Connect via rail joiners, and put track pins in through the slots in the Tracksettas.  Take the Tracksettas out.

Something else you have taught me  :thankyousign:
My layout Much Puffindun can be seen at http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17426.msg173415#msg173415
Warning: Being a NGF member can seriously restrict your available modelling time

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations