What layout to do?

Started by Tackleberry, May 29, 2013, 08:34:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tackleberry

I cant make my mind up what layout to build  ???
Ive always wanted to build a West Highland Line layout, but then what period to do it in? Large Logo 37s appeal to me, but then Im tempted by the modernish period with 66s too......
OR do I build an MoD layout, as Ive got an interest in military vehicles....]
OR a container terminal as for some reason those places fascinate me....
OR a wagon repair depot......
:hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm:

Sprintex

Take over an entire room and build all of it? :D

Wouldn't we all like to do that? ::) Sadly compromise is essential in most cases, so take your time deciding. You could model a small bit of each depending on space? ;)

Paul

Greybeema

It all rather depends on what you like to do. 

If you like to sit back and watch the trains go by then I would think the Container Terminal was not for you and a through station might be more appropriate (there was an 'N' West Highland through in Railway Modeller a couple of months back). 

If you like shunting then it might be more appropriate to do a yard of some kind but Container and Intemodal are block trains nowadays so not really much shunting - and not sure how you would simulate loding/unloading.

If you roll the clock back to individual wagon freight days then shunting becomes more interesting with certain wagons going to specific places in your yard.

You might be interested in passenger traffic - so you might want a terminal station...  It might have a parcels bay...

As Sprintex says - take some time and have a think about it (beer helps in these situations).  Combine all of your ideas.  Then big pad of paper and a pencil and draw you ideas.  Have a look around here and the modelling press.

Basically though Rule #1 applies - Its your railway, you do what you want...

:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

red_death

If you go down the WHL route then with a bit of careful planning you could run 80s and modern stuff as not much has changed for many of the stations ie you could probably get away with just changing a few signs for many of the stations.

It really depends on what space you have, whether you want to exhibit the layout and as others have said what type of layout you want.

Cheers, Mike

scottishlocos

Hi

MOD trains were common on the WHL and still run to the depot at Glen Douglas wagons are much the same for both eras as well

kin regards

Dave

bluedepot

I would go for a 1980s West Highland Line layout, but make it not too era specific so the odd modern train can appear too....

Tim

Tackleberry

Quote from: Sprintex on May 29, 2013, 08:58:41 AM
Take over an entire room and build all of it? :D

Wouldn't we all like to do that? ::) Sadly compromise is essential in most cases, so take your time deciding. You could model a small bit of each depending on space? ;)

Paul

I dont really have the space for a large layout  :thumbsdown:
But Ill definitely be having a long hard think about it lol
The plus sides for a container terminal and MoD yard - not far from Basingstoke is Southampton for Freightliner and about the same distance is Ludgershall for the MoD yard so I can get inspiration...
The plus for the WHL is its just so damn beautiful, the downside is too far to get inspiration/ideas from, but I guess thats where the internet comes in... ;D

Tackleberry

Quote from: bluedepot on May 29, 2013, 09:02:30 PM
I would go for a 1980s West Highland Line layout, but make it not too era specific so the odd modern train can appear too....

Tim

Im slowly heading that way..... :thumbsup:
Those Dapol class 26 and 27s look nice  :drool:

Newportnobby

Quote from: Tackleberry on May 29, 2013, 09:24:09 PM
Quote from: bluedepot on May 29, 2013, 09:02:30 PM

Tim

Im slowly heading that way..... :thumbsup:
Those Dapol class 26 and 27s look nice  :drool:

Be prepared to purchase/plant hundreds of trees :D

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations