The Great Model Railway Challenge

Started by Newportnobby, September 22, 2018, 08:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

austinbob

Very disappointing. No real modelling content and very superficial. Designed for general public and not enthusiasts. Won't bother to watch the  next one. ☹
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

RailGooner

Thanks Bob! I don't feel so bad about missing it now. :beers:

talisman56

Watched the programme through to the end, along with SWMBO, who made no disparaging comment, so one plus point there.

Thought the little side challange was a little unneccessary, but the team that won that made the best of it.

I'm smugly pleased that the team that tried to bend the rules got found out and were judged on the work done during the actual challenge, rather than all their assembled modules. The best team won in the end.

I'm still interested, roll on next week.
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Ali Smith

I wasn't disappointed but only because my expectations were very low. Managed to stick it for all of 10 minutes. Luckily we had programme about the Pennsylvania Station in New York recorded so we still got some railway based telly in.

Claude Dreyfus

I was approached by the producers for this back in February (in my capacity as our club secretary). We did think about it, and we certainly have a few members who are skilled and inventive enough to have done well on this, but ultimately we were concerned how we, and modellers in general, would be portrayed. Some production companies cannot help themselves but to make you out to be weird, or domineering etc. It was a polite thanks, but no thanks.

I hope this does not happen, and I wish the teams well. I may try to catch at least one, but inconveniently it is on club night! Of course, if it is a success, than that can only be a good thing for the hobby.

honestjudge

I am probably bucking the trend here, but I thought it was quite well done.

Despite the fear that many 'enthusiasts' have that they will be made to look silly,  TV exposure of this kind of television will always reach a huge audience and I feel that is never a bad thing.

Ditape

It was a poorly presented program that with better production values had the potential to be very good, as you can probably guess I was not impressed but I will watch the series in the vain hope things get better. :( :thumbsdown:
Diane Tape

weave

Hi,

Just seen it on catch up TV. It was watchable but I wonder if that was only to see if the cocky 'breaking the rules' guy got his comeuppance in the end.

Won't tell.

Anyway, have recorded the series so will give it another go.

Cheers weave  :beers:

silly moo

I thought it was a bit rough around the edges and not very well filmed and edited but it interested me enough to ensure I watch the next episode, even if it's just out of curiosity.

port perran

I thought it was watchable.
I enjoyed it and , like Weave, was pleased that the cocky guy finished up having to go home.
It was a bit messy but hey, it's low budget TV so you gets what you get.
I'll watch the rest.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

paulprice

Well that's an hour of my life I wont get back.

Did nothing in my eyes to change the general perception of the public that we modellers are all weirdo's who need to get a life. In fact act several points I was shouting "weirdo" at the TV.

Will not be watching this dross again, a great opportunity wasted  :veryangry:

kirky

I watched it last night when it aired live and decided I would watch it again this morning - it was that or Cbeebies.
IMHO the concept is contrived. I don't believe modelling is about competition; its far more about co-operation if you are in a club and involved in a club project, and if you model by yourself, its usually for the pleasure of being creative. I cant think of any modeller I know who is in the hobby to win! Additionally, I keep thinking how many times I've read articles or had advice from fellow modellers who almost always say 'take your time'. The hobby is definitely not about trying to complete something in three days. Its a 'slow-burner' hobby.
I thought the concept of the Missenden modellers model was excellent and the scenics looked impressive. They also had the only model with more than one train running at the same time, at least in the footage shown. To criticise it for not being finished was very harsh I thought. I can think of many great models that have sections under develpment yet still are considered exhibition standard.

All that said, I enjoyed it , after all it was about model trains! And of course I'll be watching the entire series.

cheers
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance will be at Perth model railway show https://smet.org.uk/show/layouts/
June 24/25 2023.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Bealman

The show certainly seems to have generated various opinions amongst forum members!

I'll wait until it comes out on video here in Australia and then I'll ignore it.  :D  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

port perran

Quote from: Bealman on October 06, 2018, 09:03:07 AM
The show certainly seems to have generated various opinions amongst forum members!

I'll wait until it comes out on video here in Australia and then I'll ignore it.  :D  ;)
To quote the old saying, "Football is a game of opinions".
Now that railway modelling has become "competitive", I guess we can apply the same adage  :D
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations