Don't ya just luv microsloth

Started by Dorsetmike, December 14, 2016, 01:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorsetmike

Saw this on another forum, linked from BBC

Quote"Some customers using Windows 10 have reported difficulties connecting to the internet," said a spokeswoman for Microsoft.

"As a first step, we recommend customers restart their PCs.

"If this does not resolve the problem, visit our website for further support."

Duh - how if you can't get on line?????????????

Needless to say it's a Win 10 problem, a recent update would you believe.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

themadhippy

micro$haft have a history of this sort of thing,such as keyboard not detected press F1 to continue,or no  driver for modem found would you like to search online  for a driver
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

emjaybee

And this is why I've disabled system updates on my Win10 laptop.

>:D
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Zogbert Splod

:laughabovepost: During my early dalliance with confusers, back in the days when you had to load the operating system from a floppy every time you switched on, one of my machines came with what they called a test and exercise disk. This simply ran a set of short programmes and reported the results. The results were reported with sets of coded beeps using the built in speaker. At one point in the test sequence we are told '5 short beeps in succession indicates that a failure has taken place in the computers sound system.'
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

railsquid

Floppy disks, luxury. We used to dream of floppy disks. My first computer came with 8K of ROM, and a cassette tape interface.

Anyway happy to report that literally the only reason I have to use Windows is in a VM for SCARM.

austinbob

Quote from: railsquid on December 14, 2016, 03:05:38 PM
Floppy disks, luxury. We used to dream of floppy disks. My first computer came with 8K of ROM, and a cassette tape interface.
'ROM' luxury.... My first computer came with 382 gears, 250 relays a typewriter and fifty mechanical disks marked 0 to 9 - and NEVER suffered from boot up problems.
:P
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Steve Brassett

Snowwolflair

Quote from: austinbob on December 14, 2016, 04:00:11 PM
Quote from: railsquid on December 14, 2016, 03:05:38 PM
'ROM' luxury.... My first computer came with 382 gears, 250 relays a typewriter and fifty mechanical disks marked 0 to 9 - and NEVER suffered from boot up problems.
:P

My old friend Babbage used to shout "keep turning the handle"  :D

Actually several posts back early PCs had two sound paths a beeper and a sound card, so 5 beeps was sensible for a sound failure.

Anyway I assume you have all heard about the helicopter lost in fog over Seattle.

The pilot eases up to a building and shouts to the occupants  "Where am I"

The reply cam back intermediately "You are in a helicopter"

Thanking them the pilot navigates to the airport and lands.

The passenger confused asks the pilot "How did you figure out where you were"

The pilot replies. " I got a perfectly correct but useless answer, so I knew I was next to the Microsoft building"

Zogbert Splod

Quote from: Snowwolflair on December 14, 2016, 05:30:46 PM
Actually several posts back early PCs had two sound paths a beeper and a sound card, so 5 beeps was sensible for a sound failure.
Nah, was talking about the original PC's and before sound cards came along...
and, the same computer, same diagnostics tools, included a set of squares at the bottom of the monitor that said, (can't remember the exact wording) 'if this display is not visible please try a substitute monitor'...
Lovely!

Planning thread:

I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Railwaygun

i've just spent 2 days installing / updating a Win7 installation - mysteriously, as soon as Win 10 was released, the update facility seems to have stopped working!!

luckily the secret knowledge is still available in the Net, and i eventually got it to update itself.

this has happened to previous versions, despite long term "support " being offered! (till 2020 in the case of Win7).

if anyone is interested, i have the links!
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

D1042 Western Princess

That is why my W10 computer is unused while my old rusty, er sorry, I meant "trusty", one with W7 is still in daily use.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

emjaybee

I have a win10 laptop which was purchased with a "new" installation rather than a update from win8. This was bought to replace a win7 laptop when the motherboard failed.

Awesome machine! The first "system" update spread the disease known as "Cortana" all over the place. I backed out the update, spent two hours getting rid of the nosey cow an then disabled system updates.

It's steady as a rock. I NEVER use Internet Explorer (or whatever they call it now), Firefox is used. I don't use their e-mail client I use EmClient.

From power up to stable system is 45 seconds including bringing up the e-mail client.

:thumbsup:
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

DELETED

Talktalk have been hacked yet again but doesn't affect all users -just some with a certain router which prevents them from accessing internet if they were unlucky enough.  ..........The resolution is posted on a banner on their website, which I can't understand how you're supposed to get if you can't access the web in the first place???  I know first hand their technical help in India / Phillipines is completely useless -last time my email went down there was no way of raising a helpdesk case without sending an E-Mail in from my own account ??? ::) :'( :doh: >:( :veryangry: :censored: :help:

I bought a win 10 netbook earlier this year and it's giving grief.  Lots of additional program guff keeps popping up, now I'm told every day I have to upgrade to win 10 -which was already on the machine.  Keeps telling me my memory isn't big enough despite virtually nothing on the machine.

We have an ex-IT guy working for us at the moment and I keep getting told it's called "progress" and we should be thankfull of it :thumbsup:

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Zogbert Splod on December 14, 2016, 08:23:34 PM
Quote from: Snowwolflair on December 14, 2016, 05:30:46 PM
Nah, was talking about the original PC's and before sound cards came along...
and, the same computer, same diagnostics tools, included a set of squares at the bottom of the monitor that said, (can't remember the exact wording) 'if this display is not visible please try a substitute monitor'...

Yep so am I, I designed some of the first PC clones in HK in 1981.  there was an interrupt structure for sound and that's what it was testing, whether a sound card was fitted or not.

Still got all my original design notes  :D

Zogbert Splod

That's interesting. I was working for an agent (in the UK) selling the first IBM desktops to be referred to as PC's (5150 I think?). I well remember being told by the IBM reps that the company could see no use for sound or colour in their products. This despite the fact that they already had the CGA option in their catalogues. (640 x 480 and (I think???) a total of 12 colours, if you went for the Hercules option) I was under the impression, and I may well be remembering it wrongly, that the option to go beyond the basic speaker didn't fully come to the IBM machines until they finally dropped the use of the 8088 chip in favour of the 8086. I'm not sure but I seem to remember that this happened with the coming of the unfortunate IBM Jnr.

I never liked the IBM machines and never owned a PC of any kind until MUCH later. It was an AMSTRAD with a 90Meg hard drive! That was going to last me for ever, my entire life would fit on that!

I dread to think how things would have developed if the whole process had remained with IBM. At that time I was more involved with the much more interfaceable (Is that a real word?) HP machines as used in the hydrographic industry.
Lovely!

Planning thread:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations