The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pengi

I used to really like Windows 7 but it was Service Pack 1 that was the final straw - kept getting stuck when downloading, and blowing my download limit. So purchased CD from Microsoft, then it told me my copy of Windows 7 was not genuine (which it was), then had issues with internet, couldn't uninstall it etc, etc. Lucky I had a macbook air so I could find out what was going on as I didn't know if these issues were caused by virus. I was an IT Manager at the time and even our technical experts could not work out what was going on as all of the instructions had been followed to the letter.

Since going over to Macs totally, I have found that a whole load of stress in my life has disappeared. The are more expensive, but the resale value is higher than PCs and the Apple iWorks 'office' software is cheaper. Plus it boots up more quickly, is 'greener', and the screen is easier to use on the train. I spent a small amount of familiarisation time with it but the apple support forums are very good. i have kept a version of MS Office that I can use with Parallels that emulates a PC. I hardly ever use it now as I am well used to the Apple software.

H, accept that they look good and they may not be everyone's cup of tea (the keyboard layout is slightly different for example) and the ports are more limited so probably best to test one before purchasing. Only downside is that Anyrail is not compatible.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Pengi

Quote from: Bikeracer on November 28, 2011, 12:37:40 PM

I went from an Amiga to Windows Millenium without any problems . . .

Anyway,I'll know one way or the other when the Mac arrives.

Allan

If you need any help with the Mac, then let me know. I used to have an Atari ST and find that the Mac reminds me of the trouble free computing of those days. If you want a retro game, there is a cracking version of Elite, called Oolite.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

red_death

Quote from: Bikeracer on November 28, 2011, 12:37:40 PM
That's my point,I'm not doing anything with it because it's such hard work.
It constantly opens a new window and hides what I'm trying to look at,when I do want to look at anything I have to actually click on it instead.
The control panel is a mess and I have to type in what I'm looking for.

Now you have really lost me! What constantly opens a new window when you are trying to do things? Are you talking about your internet browser or something else?  It sounds like some of your settings are out of kilter to what you want, but that should be easy to change back.

The control panel is different to XP, but I certainly wouldn't call it a mess - just a different way of doing things. I actually think the control panel is more intuitive now than it used to be.

Quote from: Pendy on November 28, 2011, 12:57:11 PM
The are more expensive, but the resale value is higher than PCs and the Apple iWorks 'office' software is cheaper. Plus it boots up more quickly, is 'greener'
As Alan says - Open/Libre Office is even cheaper still ;-)
Linux on an SSD boots up very quickly as well!
Plus I wouldn't be so sure about Apple being greener - a few years ago they were one of the worst and still lag behind others: http://www.greenpeace.org/international/en/campaigns/climate-change/cool-it/Guide-to-Greener-Electronics/

Lawrence

I ordered a £50 bottle of SWMBO favourite perfume on the 17th and paid another £5 for postage - still not arrived, so I phoned them, the order wasn't picked & packed until the 22nd, posted on the 23rd and should be with me tomorrow.  What the hell am I paying £5 for, flipping pigeon post  >:(

Good job I ordered it well before Christmas, think I will get all my Chrimbo shopping done this week just in case.
. :computersmile:
click, click
. :computerangry:
click, click, click, click, click, click

:computersmile:
:beers:

Mustermark

Quote from: Pendy on November 28, 2011, 12:57:11 PM
Since going over to Macs totally, I have found that a whole load of stress in my life has disappeared.
Plus it boots up more quickly
I spent a small amount of familiarisation time with it but the apple support forums are very good.
i have kept a version of MS Office that I can use with Parallels that emulates a PC. I hardly ever use it now as I am well used to the Apple software.

I got (very, very) annoyed when two PCs I bought wouldn't run with ONLY windows and internet explorer running (both were fast gaming machines, cannot imagine that they would have coped with Halo or Call of Duty).  Gave up on Windows and got a Mac.  Totally agree that the stress of Windows has gone and I do not miss it one bit.  You buy an expensive bit of kit, you don't expect it to be that much hard work.  The Mac is more expensive but it is a joy to use.  My Mac hasn't crashed once in two years.
Very quick to get to grips with the differences too.
I did install Parallels so I could use my train control software, but Parallels didn't let it load, so uninstalled it.
Sadly, I can't be Windows free so my laptop now runs my trains.  I don't do anything with it except that.  I don't update it, I don't connect to the internet to get virus infections.

I would recommend a Mac to anyone who can afford the extra outlay.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Mustermark on November 28, 2011, 02:25:34 PM
Sadly, I can't be Windows free so my laptop now runs my trains. 

JMRI will run on Macintoys as well as Linux and Windows so depending what sort of control set up you have that may do the trick. Also lets you use Android and iPhones as radio throttles!
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Bikeracer

Quote from: red_death on November 28, 2011, 01:26:10 PM

Now you have really lost me! What constantly opens a new window when you are trying to do things? Are you talking about your internet browser or something else?  It sounds like some of your settings are out of kilter to what you want, but that should be easy to change back.

The control panel is different to XP, but I certainly wouldn't call it a mess - just a different way of doing things. I actually think the control panel is more intuitive now than it used to be.

Yes it's certainly a different way of doing things.

The control panel was one of the programs that kept opening a new window in my face whenever the pointer hovered near something as I was trying to read through about a hundred text descriptions,by the time I'd closed the window I had to start all over again being extremely careful not to move the mouse pointer.

Had to use the search function and type in uninstall to even find the uninstall software option...not what I'd call intuitive in any way.
If some of the settings were out of kilter as you suggest,the laptop came with them installed like that,I never got into it enough to try and alter anything.

Anyway,the Macs are ordered.The helpline number is a freephone number and I was put through to the call centre in America at no charge,also got a discount.

All being well I'll be a Mac and Windows XP user by Wednesday.

Allan

I'm not a complete idiot..some bits are missing.

Mustermark

Quote from: EtchedPixels on November 28, 2011, 02:40:13 PM
Quote from: Mustermark on November 28, 2011, 02:25:34 PM
Sadly, I can't be Windows free so my laptop now runs my trains. 
JMRI will run on Macintoys as well as Linux and Windows so depending what sort of control set up you have that may do the trick. Also lets you use Android and iPhones as radio throttles!

That sounds very cool indeed.  An iPhone throttle would be neat.  I am pretty much complete with installation of my CTI stuff and their software doesn't run on a Mac (as far as I know still doesn't) so I think moving to JMRI might not be feasible now.  It sounds interesting though and I might just look at it out of interest to see how it works and what it can do (it looks like it can do anything).

red_death

Quote from: Bikeracer on November 28, 2011, 02:49:13 PM
The control panel was one of the programs that kept opening a new window in my face whenever the pointer hovered near something as I was trying to read through about a hundred text descriptions,by the time I'd closed the window I had to start all over again being extremely careful not to move the mouse pointer.

That sounds very strange - I am using W7 control panel at the moment and no new windows open at all when I hover over things. I get a new window when I click on some items.

Quote from: Bikeracer on November 28, 2011, 02:49:13 PM
Had to use the search function and type in uninstall to even find the uninstall software option...not what I'd call intuitive in any way.
If some of the settings were out of kilter as you suggest,the laptop came with them installed like that,I never got into it enough to try and alter anything.

Now you have me stumped - I open up the Control Panel and I have a category called Programs, with a link underneath to Uninstall a program. Click on that and it opens up the familiar (from XP) list of installed software. I then pick what I want to uninstall.

I wouldn't go back to XP from W7 in a million years.  Now Office 2007/10 I would gladly consign to a dust bin....but that is another story!

JMRI + Withrottle or Android version is very neat. 

poliss

Just touched my front door to see if the paint was dry. It wasn't.  >:(

zwilnik

Quote from: red_death on November 28, 2011, 01:26:10 PM

Plus I wouldn't be so sure about Apple being greener - a few years ago they were one of the worst and still lag behind others: http://www.greenpeace.org/international/en/campaigns/climate-change/cool-it/Guide-to-Greener-Electronics/

take everything greenpeace says with a serious pinch of salt. They're not an environmental group any more, just a money raising group. Every year they publish these lists targeting whichever company they think will pay them the most to bump them up the rankings (or add a greenpeace logo to their brochures) and Apple called their bluff by totally ignoring them :) Cue a year of greenpeace trying to slag Apple off in the press and Apple simply pointing out that all their products are far more green in terms of being made entirely of recyclable materials with no bromides etc. that the others have been using and have been for years, they just don't bother filling in greenpeace's 'reports'.

My money goes to Sea Shepherd anyway, they actually save whales rather than raising money while pretending to ;)

Lawrence

Quote from: poliss on November 28, 2011, 03:53:11 PM

:smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

red_death

Quote from: Zwilnik on November 28, 2011, 03:54:16 PM
take everything greenpeace says with a serious pinch of salt. They're not an environmental group any more, just a money raising group. <snip> they just don't bother filling in greenpeace's 'reports'.

Oh I do take with a large pinch of salt what any of the "green" groups say, though I think there was more than an element of truth in what GP were saying on this one.  Any large scale campaigning organisation costs alot of money - I think you could throw that accusation at many campaigning groups. but I am not sure it really helps get anyone anywhere.

The green electronics reports was also based on information disclosed by manufacturers (either product information or environmental/safety reports) - if a manufacturer can not be bothered to disclose what hazardous components may or may not be in their products then forgive me for being sceptical for not believing their marketing!  I don't doubt that Apple are much better (both in production and communications) now.

Quote from: Zwilnik on November 28, 2011, 03:54:16 PM
My money goes to Sea Shepherd anyway, they actually save whales rather than raising money while pretending to ;)

And on that note we will definitely have to agree to disagree...

poliss

What's the repair status on Apple computers? Do you still have them to an Apple dealer? If my PC goes wrong, or I want to upgrade it, I can pick up spare parts very easily.

Mustermark

Quote from: poliss on November 28, 2011, 03:53:11 PM

:smiley-laughing:

Bummer.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations