Which paint did you choose & why ?

Started by upnick, November 12, 2011, 08:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

upnick

Hi All,   

Which paint /livery  did you choose as your main  loco  stock   &  why ?

For me  it  was Union  Pacific  as  the  bright  scheme appealed straight  away  in  U.S.    locos  &  i   have always like  U.S.   railroads  over  others,  a close second  is the opposite really  Norfolk Southern   ;)

longbridge

Like you Nick I prefer American Railroads and love some of the liveries,  for me I think "Black is Beautiful", I resprayed my locos black and my favorite American Railroads are "PennCentral"  "Illinois Central" and "Norfolk Southern" all black beauties.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Alex

Hi Nick,

When I was buying my British stock I didn't model any particular era. I just bought engines and matching stock. I did repaint some in my own East Fife Railways colours of yellow, but that didn't last long.

My first US stock was Burlington Northern, mainly because I liked the green/white livery. Most of these have now been repainted in my FCF livery. I bought 4 B&O coaches at a railway show, not becuase I wanted B&O stock but because they were £5 each. I then bought a B&O engine to pull them.

It's been like that all the way. I'll buy an engine and then get some stock to match, unless it's for my own FCF and WPR liveries. My 2 Atlas engines, Virginian and Louiseville and Nashville, were Ebay bargains, so I may get some matching wagons for these as well.

With all my British stock now removed from my layouts it looks a bit bare so I'm just buying up stock. Anything goes at the moment but at some point I'll decide what I actually want to run and re-organise my stock accordingly.

Alex

Sprintex

Being an HST addict that is mainly what my layout was based around, and it had to be in the widely-accepted best livery it ever carried - Intercity Swallow  8)

Now have two HSTs plus an IC225 set all in Swallow, and also a 47-hauled MK2 rake just for a bit of variety. Also found a vague excuse to include my second favourite livery, so I have a 47-hauled rake of MK2s in Network Southeast that's "on diversion"  ;)

Paul

Tank

When I began in N I had a couple of Lima BR Blue loco's, and saved up my pennies for a Farish Class 91.  I couldn't believe the improvement in how it ran compared to the old Lima's!  As time went on I bought a Continental layout with the rolling stock from an old man (who sadly passed away weeks later), where I then swapped all of the track in Janes Trains in Tooting for two secondhand Farish Class 159's in Network SouthEast livery.  I didn't get the bug for Toothpaste livery until years later when the Class 455's were all being painted into Southern livery.  Now not only do I collect NSE N Gauge models (and paint ficticious models in NSE), but I have a good collection of original signs, badges, a station speaker and various other bits of the past.

poliss

Burlington Northern because I used to live in Burlington. I like the green and white of their cascade livery too.

Chris

My layout is based on the current UK rail scene so features all the liveries that can be found on the UK network today, and to add a bit of variety I've allowed some from the last 5 or so years, mainly so I can include class 37s in various liveries, including EWS's large logo 37.

Newportnobby

I've deliberately chosen an Oxfordshire location so I can run stuff from the WR,SR,LMR and ER in the steam era of the 1950's. Then I can remove all the steamers and replace them with green diesel era locos/DMU's, again from all regions. It gives me the opportunity to run all kinds of liveries.

Lawrence

Not so much the paint but the local, I'm from the North East of Scotland so went for a North Eastern Railroad - Baltimore & Ohio  ;D

Paul B

I was born in the East End of London, and bought (dragged?) up in Essex, but had family and friends in East Anglia, so I like the ex-Great Eastern area of the LNER, and try to concentrate on that!
LNER and PKP fan in the home of the GWR!

MinZaPint

Quote from: newportnobby on November 13, 2011, 07:25:53 PM
Then I can remove all the steamers and replace them with green diesel era locos/DMU's, again from all regions.

:evil: Wash your mouth out with soap and water and go to the naughty corner!  :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

darren.c

mines DRS and network rail got a small fleet of 37/6 and 57s,i have the parts to convert to 20s into 20/3s just need the locos and  for network rail i have  way to many network rail coaches however i want to get the full fleet done in the end .
daz

Newportnobby

Quote from: MinZaPint on November 14, 2011, 06:54:02 PM
Quote from: newportnobby on November 13, 2011, 07:25:53 PM
Then I can remove all the steamers and replace them with green diesel era locos/DMU's, again from all regions.

:evil: Wash your mouth out with soap and water and go to the naughty corner!  :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

:smiley-laughing: I'm never out of it :-[

4x2

When I started out it was BR Blue for me, then GWR, then LMS, then S&D, then BR green.... Then i got fed up waiting for decent steamers and decent diesels were only just arriving.... :sleep:

So I sold the the lot and went for US railroads instead - Union Pacific and Chessie system, mainly because they were bright and easy to get hold of (chessie can be a bit of a struggle). To be honest i'm pretty open minded, so anything i like the look of could end up on my layout !

At the end of the day - it's your layout, your rules !  :smiley-laughing:
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Mustermark

I have three.  All based on Reading on the Western region.

Steam (three locos only) in BR Great Western - my son had a Farish starter set and this was the livery of the little Pannier tank engine.  I bought it off him when he outgrew it and started playing Everquest online.  I expanded with a Hall and a Prairie in the same livery.

Diesel is BR Blue.  My main outline is around 1974 when I was trainspotting at the age of 10 or so.

First Great Western of around 2007.  I worked in Slough and commuted from Reading by train and I model some of the trains from then.

In theory they should not all be out on the layout at once... but I love seeing them all.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations