The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zwilnik

Quote from: MalcolmAL on July 09, 2015, 10:11:26 PM
Quote from: Sprintex on July 09, 2015, 01:02:08 PM
Quote from: Only Me on July 09, 2015, 12:54:13 PM
New car 320 miles on the clock, just returned from what was always my best "good" hand car wash.... Scratch on wing....
Wash it yourself you lazy so-and-so  :P
:laughabovepost:
In 5#*+y of motoring I have never ever used a car wash !
Does that make me unique, or just skinflint ? :)

PS I would not know how,
and these days I baulk at the tyre-air pumps and their slots demanding money or tokens,
so I do it myself with foot pump, well doc. tells me I need excersize :)

The automated car washes can be pretty risky as they can easily scratch your paintwork and the coin operated air pumps are very rarely accurate so a foot pump (or car powered electric pump) with a manual tyre pressure gauge is a lot better for your weekly tyre checks.

dannyboy

Last Sunday, my wifi dongle seemed to have stopped getting a signal. Spent a couple of hours tinkering with various settings - no go. As I live in a very rural part of Ireland, it is not unusual to have a rubbish signal. Monday, I try again, nothing, so I thinks to myself, "Use the last restore point". As I had bought myself to a new laptop just the previous week, there was no restore point!  :doh: So I reset the laptop to factory settings. This of course meant that I lost the programmes I had spent a couple of hours downloding  :veryangry:. Still no go. So I ring the ISP and the conversation went something like this - Me: "Is there a problem with t'internet?" Operator: "No". Me: "I can't connect". Op: (Try this, that and the other). Me: "No, still not working". Op: "Just a minute, (cue 'hold' music) You're account has been suspended". Me: "Why? " Op: "You've exceeded your credit limit". Me: "I don't have one, I have a €10 PAYG Broadband only sim". Op: "You still get a credit limit". Me: "Ok, what's the limit?" Op: "€200". Me:  ":censored: :censored: :censored: Are you saying I have spent over €200?" Op: "Yes". Me: "How come? I never normally get near my 20GB limit". Op: "You downloaded over 6GB last Sunday". Me:"What did I download?" Op: "We have no way of knowing what sites are visited, only that the data was used. You can not prove that you didn't download, likewise we can not prove it was you, only that your connection was used".  :'( The problem seems to have happened because I downloaded a YouTube video which then went into some sort of loop! There was a report of similar circumstances for someone else in a recent computer magazine. The upshot of this is that every now and then, I now disconnect totally from the web and keep a very close eye on the ISP website to see just what I am using. You have been warned!  David.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

guest311

Quote from: Zwilnik on July 13, 2015, 10:11:01 PM
.............. the coin operated air pumps are very rarely accurate so a foot pump (or car powered electric pump) with a manual tyre pressure gauge is a lot better for your weekly tyre checks.

I may well be wrong on this, but I was given to understand that because you are charged to use the air pump then it must be calibrated and correct, whereas the free ones don't.

the latest con round here at Tesco is that the free water now just comes out of a nozzle on the side of the unit, of course you have a container don't you  :no:, and its  quid to get x seconds of screenwash  :hmmm:

also, I used to be able to start the air pump, and do all five tyres on one coin, removing and replacing the valve covers tyre by tyre, now I need to remove all the valve covers, then start the machine and if I'm lucky I'll get all done before it runs out, and then put the valve covers back on.

guess they've got to make more money somehow.

alan

woodbury22uk

Our local Sainsbury's has a new petrol station and free air. Hooray. But the narrow bay you park in has a raised kerb all round so if the valves are at the bottom of the wheel you need to be Uri Geller to get the pump wand to the valve. Design clever, eh?
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Sprintex

Cheap compressor from Halfords or Argos, job done ;)

Paul

zwilnik

Quote from: class37025 on July 14, 2015, 08:57:24 AM
Quote from: Zwilnik on July 13, 2015, 10:11:01 PM
.............. the coin operated air pumps are very rarely accurate so a foot pump (or car powered electric pump) with a manual tyre pressure gauge is a lot better for your weekly tyre checks.

I may well be wrong on this, but I was given to understand that because you are charged to use the air pump then it must be calibrated and correct, whereas the free ones don't.

alan

Nah, they're just about calibrated when installed and that's it. Always worth having a manual tyre pressure gauge in your car so you can check regularly (or use it to check the pressures when using a garage pump).
I've got the cheap Halfords compressor too (think it's a Michelin one). Although I don't use the digital gauge on it as it's wildly inaccurate.

Ditape

Bad computer day,dreaded blue screen of death on my main PC :veryangry:,so I dug out my old long left dormant laptop and just spent all day bringing it up to date,I did not realise how long it had been since I had used it , so lots  :censored: updates to be done.You can see I am back up and running again,looking for replacement but will probably wait till next month to buy a replacement as Windows 10 is due out at the end of the month.

note to self,I must back up more often.
Diane Tape

daveg

Good luck with Wind-ers 10.

Not read it up but I intend to wait a while before I upgrade as from previous experience there's always something that sulks!

Dave G

MikeDunn

Despite qualifying, I'm gonna give 8.2 a miss ... well, on my main system anyway.  Might put it onto a VM & have a ganders ...

dannyboy

Quote from: Ditape on July 14, 2015, 03:43:37 PM
just spent all day bringing it up to date,I did not realise how long it had been since I had used it , so lots  :censored: updates to be done.

note to self,I must back up more often.
When I set the new laptop up, after the reset mentioned earlier, there was 126 updates - took hours  :'( . David.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

GeeBee

Quote from: MalcolmAL on July 13, 2015, 09:54:40 PM
Quote from: newportnobby on July 13, 2015, 09:22:16 PM
to have an angiogram
I peg out.
Greetings everyone,
anybody wondering why i have not posted anything for a few days even though my username has been loged on since Friday ?
Well the lights were on but no one was home !
Fri morning I had a little jolly via a scenic route with special effects by the novelty ambulance company residing on 999 ! Followed by a stay at her Maj's pleasure at one of her Royal Infirmaries.
And boy did I feel infirm !
All arranged for me by a kindly paramedic, at whose feet I fell and his chums :)
followed swiftly by an angiogram and "Ho! we'ed better do something about that " angioplasty.
Then all the docs went off for a weekend break, back this morning to say "you can go home now".
So I'm still here, just !
Try that approach npn :)

Kinda delayed The Hunting of the Snark   Jabberwocky   Jabliteboard a bit though :(
Not sure when the mojo will return either.

And NPN
Appointment with the consultant at 17.40 to day so got there at 17.25 and then had to wait until 18.30 to see him, although it wasn't the guy who usually deals with my case, so I had to wait while he read my notes on the computer or fell asleep (still not sure which he did). I did ask if he wanted me to carry on reading my book while he did whatever he was doing. I'd had my weight and blood pressure taken when I first went in and he said my blood pressure was high, to which I replied "I'm not surprised after that wait"
I now have to wait 4-6 weeks to have an angiogram and then see him again in 4 months time.
Just wondering whether to tell 'em where to go and, if I peg out, I peg out.
I'm sure I'd get better service from the crem :veryangry2: :veryangry2: :veryangry2:
:dighole:

My thoughts are with you both having been there 3 weeks ago I found the best way to get their attention was to have another Heart attack in hospital on a Sunday evening as a result of that Monday morning 9 am sharp in for Angiogram and after 2 and 3/4 hours back out having had 2 stents fitted and now starting to recover from it all I hope you both reach satisfactory conclusions shortly
Graham

MikeDunn

Quote from: GeeBee on July 14, 2015, 08:39:38 PM
I found the best way to get their attention was to have another Heart attack in hospital on a Sunday evening
Seems a tad drastic to me ...  :uneasy:

daveg

Hope you're up and at 'em very soon GeeBee!  :thumbsup:

Dave G

Newportnobby

That explains why another of your posts said Martini Holt was on hold for a few weeks, Graham.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery but I think I'll pass on having a heart attack to get an angiogram earlier than they've offered :worried:

MalcolmInN

Quote from: GeeBee on July 14, 2015, 08:39:38 PMthe best way to get their attention was to have another Heart attack in hospital
Gosh !  I bet it did !! Still, if your gonna have another that is the best place to do it (trying to look on the bright side :) )

My second one was 2 weeks after they discharged me from my first ( which was a bit of a blot on their pride lol! In the words of the immortal Spike " I told them I wasnt well " !! ) ) that was 5&1/2 years ago.
I must stop making a habbit of this :(

best wishes for you Graham and y'all.

Oh PS :-
Quote from: MikeDunn on July 14, 2015, 09:09:13 PM
Seems a tad drastic to me ...  :uneasy:
Not as drastic as not getting their attention ?  :laugh3:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP