4-6-0s

Started by Dorsetmike, November 30, 2018, 02:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorsetmike

Further to my moans re lack of SR 4-6-0s I got to wondering which - if any- other 4-6-0s with Walschearts valve gear had the same wheel sizes and spacings,if so then maybe either a RTR version should be more readily viable or a 3D body to fit said chassis; I'm assuming that there would not be any significant difference in the valve gear, and bogie spacing is easier to change

relevant SR loco dimensions:-
Nelson  6'7" drivers, spacing 7'0"+ 8'0
Arthur  6'7"     "            "     7'0" + 7'6"
H15     6'0"     "            "     7'0" + 7'0
S15     5'7"     "            "     6'3" + 7'6"

Could any of you with details of  BR, LMS and/or LNER locos (or models) with same wheel size/spacing to any of those above, please post them here. I would hope that it might be a small plus to a manufacturer not to have to design a complete new chassis. Alternatively it would suggest a donor chassis for a 3D body.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Southerngooner

I always thought a Jubilee (Peco or Farish, perhaps better with the latter) would make a good basis for a Nelson, but you'd need a new tender and chassis. The others all get a little tricky when it comes to the fireboxes.....
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

Dorsetmike

I've used a Peco Jubilee under a BHE N15 and hacked one for a Nelson a few years back, and now partway through hacking a Scot for a Nelson. but age is beginning to tell, hand/eye co-ordination is not what it was.

I've done some "mix 'n Match" with the BHE N15 and Langley S15 kits and various chassis , and now have Urie and Maunsell S15s, Urie H15s and Eastleigh Arthur from them. My attermpts at lining are what is letting me down now.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

martyn

If I've read the RCTS loco history dimensions correctly, these are the LNER dimensions for the RTR models;

B17; 6' 8" drivers, wb 7' 3"+ 9' 00"   (Dapol tender motor/shaft to loco gearbox)

B1;   6' 2" drivers, wb also 7' 3" + 9' 00"  (Farish tender drive; Dapol as above).

B12; 6' 6" drivers, wb 7' 0" + 7' 0"  (Union Mills tender drive; inside cylinder loco)

Not very close to SR designs, except possibly B12 to H16?....but then you'd need outside cylinders and valve gear.

martyn

Stevie DC

BR 5MT Coupled wheelbase: 7' + 8' - loco drive so not as many issues with sorting out an 8 wheel tender but only 6' diameter drivers.

Also don't discount 4-6-2s.

A3/A4: 7'3 + 7'3 - 6'8 drivers
Britannia: 7' + 7' - 6'2 drivers
Duchess: 7'3 + 7'3 - 6'9 drivers

PLD

Royal Scott & Jubilee are both 6'9" wheels at 7'4"+8'0" so not too far off a Nelson (closer than many R-T-R models!) which is not too surprising given that Scott was purportedly developed from a set of Nelson drawings...

Black 5 is 6'0" wheels at 7'0"+8'0" so not really close enough for any.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations