NGS Journal 1/14

Started by joe cassidy, February 14, 2014, 08:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LNER1949

Quote from: port perran on February 16, 2014, 06:55:43 PM
For what it is worth. I joined the NGS when I first took up modelling in N gauge. I had no experience at all and let my membership lapse after about 15 months as I had no idea what most of the articles were about. It all seemed, at that time, aimed at the experienced modeller. Some of the things I read were way ahead of my comprehension!

I rejoined some 6 months ago and I now look forward to the magazine arriving. I like printed material to browse through. I think the content is OK but I do think the "obsession" with the various awards/trophies & competitions is a bit tedious and "way beyond" the capabilities of most modellers.
I simply read the bits I'm interested in and miss out those that I'm not interested in. I do, however think that the editors make certain assumptions that we all know what is meant. Often I read an article and am none the wiser having read it ! It is very easy to assume "prior knowledge".
I will continue with my membership and hope that the NGS can prosper.

I'm not that brillant, but try to do what I can do withern my caperbilertiy, the NGS magazine has help me with a lot off things, which one would not always find else where. Have sent then an article, so what the next space ! if it gets printed. Hopefuly it will encourage the less able moderler's to send something in, so that the exsperts can advise us with what improvements can be made. (sorry about my spelling !) Still going to be a member of the NGS and look into the NGF when I have the time to sit !
Jarvis.

EtchedPixels

Quote from: silly moo on February 16, 2014, 12:34:03 PM
I'm hoping that one day there will be the option of a digital or PDF version.

Veronica.

My experiences of the NGS powers that be is that technology is not their strong point. Witness the may years long web site fiasco before the late Paul Martin was able to do something about it, and the very slow adoption of even basic electronic payment for the membership and shop.

I fear also that the change of editor will also be a big step backwards for any PDF version given the response to queries about that digital copies of N'spirations was somewhere between rude and outright hostile.

It's a shame as it would save the society a small fortune offering both paper and electronic copies of the magazine.

The magazine itself IMHO serves a different rôle to the forum. It's a collection of hopefully selected, relevant material. The off topic discussions have been removed and hopefully the uninteresting articles didn't make the cut.

For the forum to offer the equivalent you would need someone curating and summarising the best threads into something structured and complete. If you have an hour a month free you can read the magazine. You can't do that with the forum.

And btw.. while I disagree entirely with Grahame on the subject of digital editions I do think he'll make a good job of editing the magazine, even if it's only available on luddite dead tree media.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Steven B

Quote from: port perran on February 16, 2014, 06:55:43 PM
I think the content is OK but I do think the "obsession" with the various awards/trophies & competitions is a bit tedious and "way beyond" the capabilities of most modellers.

The increased coverage of the Annual Model Making Competition came about from members wanting more information on how the various models were done.

I disagree that the models entered are way beyond the capabilities of most modellers. It's true that some of the winning models are way beyond what the like of Farish and Dapol produce but there are many entries that are well within the capabilities of the average modeller. Many of the repaints are done with little more than an aerosol, a selection of transfers and a bit of courage - something well within the capabilities of ALL modellers.

Many of the letters printed in the Journal over recent issues mentioned the dumbing down of the Journal yet printing notes on the AMMC models (and related articles) is seen by some as being beyond most modellers.

A case of you can't please everyone all the time! ;)

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Sprintex

Quote from: Steven B on February 18, 2014, 01:11:30 PM
The increased coverage of the Annual Model Making Competition came about from members wanting more information on how the various models were done.

I disagree that the models entered are way beyond the capabilities of most modellers. It's true that some of the winning models are way beyond what the like of Farish and Dapol produce but there are many entries that are well within the capabilities of the average modeller. Many of the repaints are done with little more than an aerosol, a selection of transfers and a bit of courage - something well within the capabilities of ALL modellers.

I agree Steven :thumbsup:

I am in no way an advanced modeller, or even an intermediate modeller - more of a "have a go and see what happens" modeller :D  Yet I managed a Bronze Award for some repainted, weathered and decal'd VGA vans, and a Highly Commended for my private liveried Class 04 shunter with flashy orange light thingy. Both these 'attempts' were the first bit of painting and adding transfers I've done since I made Airfix kits (badly!) as a child 30+ years ago! ;)

True I wouldn't attempt a hand-painted NSE livery, way too difficult with all those coloured lines, but a simple repaint, some waterslide decals and some all-over "muck" on a cheap coach or wagon is worth a try or two.

Paul

silly moo

The new editor has the task of getting the mix of articles right so that there are different articles that appeal to beginners, intermediate and skilled modellers.

Added to that he will be dependent to some extent on what he receives from the members, so I wish him all the best.

James C

Do I find every article in the Journal every 2 months engrossing and to my needs/desires? No.

Do I enjoy reading the Journal from cover to cover and quite often finding out little bits that I hadn't spotted elsewhere in the world of content? Yes.

Is it worth the £16 a year I pay for membership? Hell yes!

I also buy Model Rail most months and although I appreciate it covers all the scales, that too has bits in it that I'd not found on the web, so magazines definitely still have their place and I always look forward to coming home from work and finding that the NGS Journal is waiting for me to peruse.

Geoff

Earlier in this post I stated I would not renew my membership but last night I read the Journal from beginning to end and I was surprised by the quality of the content and then I realised I might be out of order stating that I was quitting my membership, if the Journals are as good as the last one then I shall pay the £16, but my interest in N gauge is going over to Japanese railways, why you may ask the reason is the quality and ease, I like things simple, I have built 2 to 3 platforms out of kit form and I do not know if it is me or my actual modelling but it seems I have wave like platforms.

So if H can give the Journals quality and plenty of mix in each of them then I am back in.
Geoff

Mark K

I did not join the NGS just for the magazine, but for the shop, the specials and being part of something with like minded people.

But I have had experience of being a railway society magazine editor and it's no easy task. Getting members to contribute articles and do it on time is a nightmare. As for getting balance in the choice of articles, quite often you are grateful for what you have been given and end up writing the rest yourself. I only had two editions per year to deal with, six 100 page editions would have sent me to the funny farm and I am a former magazine editor and publisher (nothing to do with trains). There is a huge degree of difference between getting members to contribute for free and getting professionals used to generating copy regularily and who are paid.

So lets give this new chap a chance and better still those who have something to say on this forum and who are NGS members consider contributing articles. Editors are there to knock stuff into shape so no need to be timid.

Digital editions are often discussed in clubs. They help keep subscription rates low and dealing with the huge increases in post that we have seen of late.  So we we put it to the members of our 'Circle' whether they would prefer to keep the subscriptions as they are but only receive a digital version of the magazine or pay more and keep the paper version. The vote was overwhelmingly in favour of paying more.

And anyway I cannot bring myself to take my iPad into the 'John'...

Mark K

PostModN66

Quote from: Mark K on February 18, 2014, 02:54:40 PM
There is a huge degree of difference between getting members to contribute for free and getting professionals used to generating copy regularily and who are paid.

So lets give this new chap a chance and better still those who have something to say on this forum and who are NGS members consider contributing articles. Editors are there to knock stuff into shape so no need to be timid.
Well said Mark.

As I have said further up, I am happy to write an article on any topic associated with my contributions on this forum, If maybe a couple of forum members confirm they would be useful mag content. So far I have had no suggestions........perhaps a subtle hint that none of my contributions so far have actually been useful!!  :confused1:

Cheers   Jon  :)

"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

LNER1949

Quote from: Mark K on February 18, 2014, 02:54:40 PM
I did not join the NGS just for the magazine, but for the shop, the specials and being part of something with like minded people.

But I have had experience of being a railway society magazine editor and it's no easy task. Getting members to contribute articles and do it on time is a nightmare. As for getting balance in the choice of articles, quite often you are grateful for what you have been given and end up writing the rest yourself. I only had two editions per year to deal with, six 100 page editions would have sent me to the funny farm and I am a former magazine editor and publisher (nothing to do with trains). There is a huge degree of difference between getting members to contribute for free and getting professionals used to generating copy regularily and who are paid.

Digital editions are often discussed in clubs. They help keep subscription rates low and dealing with the huge increases in post that we have seen of late.  So we we put it to the members of our 'Circle' whether they would prefer to keep the subscriptions as they are but only receive a digital version of the magazine or pay more and keep the paper version. The vote was overwhelmingly in favour of paying more.

And anyway I cannot bring myself to take my iPad into the 'John'...

Mark K
Hi Mark, to drop the iPad would be very costly and down the drain, where as one can order a back copy of the NGS mag !
Jarvis.

Newportnobby

Quote from: PostModN66 on February 18, 2014, 03:22:36 PM
So far I have had no suggestions........perhaps a subtle hint that none of my contributions so far have actually been useful!!  :confused1:

Cheers   Jon  :)

I wouldn't take any lack of response as implied indifference, Jon :no:
Perhaps a thread on the lines of "What would you like to see in the NGS Journal?" might provide some clues and therefore some basis for contributions :hmmm:

On another note, I think it's a shame that non NGS members miss out on the Journal supplement that comes with the issue, as there are some very good N gauge bargains to be had in the 'Sales & Wants' section of said supplement

keithfre

Quote from: James C on February 18, 2014, 02:29:51 PM
Do I find every article in the Journal every 2 months engrossing and to my needs/desires? No.

Do I enjoy reading the Journal from cover to cover and quite often finding out little bits that I hadn't spotted elsewhere in the world of content? Yes.

Is it worth the £16 a year I pay for membership? Hell yes!
My feelings too!

davieb

Quote from: newportnobby on February 18, 2014, 03:46:43 PM
On another note, I think it's a shame that non NGS members miss out on the Journal supplement that comes with the issue, as there are some very good N gauge bargains to be had in the 'Sales & Wants' section of said supplement

I missed out this journal I didn't get one  :'(

Just got 2 shop lists instead

dave  :thumbsup:

Steven B

Surely just another benefit of membership? There's nothing stopping those advertising in the "Sales and Wants" from using eBay or RMWeb/NGF classified areas.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Steven B on February 18, 2014, 04:30:55 PM

Surely just another benefit of membership? There's nothing stopping those advertising in the "Sales and Wants" from using eBay or RMWeb/NGF classified areas.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

That's the reason I said that, Steven.
There is too much talk of closing/not renewing/what is the benefit of membership and I think not all the benefits are being thought of, rather it is just a reaction to a change of Editor for the Journal. Personally I am prepared to see how things go and then make a judgment based on fact, not preconception. Then, if necessary, I will act accordingly.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations