Where to get pre-grouping decals?

Started by NeMo, January 06, 2019, 12:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeMo

Hello all,

I'm looking for decals to paint something into North Eastern Railway livery, circa 1920.

The vendors I'm aware of don't seem to have much, if anything, pre-grouping. I've checked Modelmaster's and Railtec's websites with no success. Fox seems to have a very limited selection.

https://fox-transfers.co.uk/transfers?transfer_company=2230

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

exmouthcraig

Hi Nemo, i use Fox all the time BUT don't model pre-grouping.

I was after some decals for some grampus wagons and I believe another forum member might be a good friend of Steve at Railtec, basically i was advised to find ones i was after in 00 and email Steve asking if he could produce them in N.

Might be worth an email

Thanks Craig

NeMo

Quote from: exmouthcraig on January 06, 2019, 12:55:44 PM
I was after some decals for some grampus wagons and I believe another forum member might be a good friend of Steve at Railtec, basically i was advised to find ones i was after in 00 and email Steve asking if he could produce them in N.

Cool. I'll do just that!

Wondered if there was some small supplier out there I wasn't aware of. Always good to learn about new N gauge suppliers!

Cheers, NeMo

honk843

Although I don't think it will help you. I would have a look at Cambridge Custom transfers. The only pre-nationalisation ones they do are for GWR. However they do over twenty different sheets for Grampus wagons so that should be enough? I also note that although I asked about transfers for Anhydrite wagons last year and he said that they were not available there is now a sheet for 24 wagons which might be useful if the kit is reintroduced by NGS.
Otherwise you might like to ask Precision decals (John Peck) if he has done some for OO or bigger as he will reduce at a reasonable cost and very quick normally. Both do have websites

NeMo

Quote from: honk843 on January 06, 2019, 01:21:23 PM
Although I don't think it will help you. I would have a look at Cambridge Custom transfers.

Will do.

However they do over twenty different sheets for Grampus wagons so that should be enough?

To be fair, I'm planning on turning a Kato Pocket Line electric loco into an approximation of an NER Newcastle Quay electric shunter!

Otherwise you might like to ask Precision decals (John Peck) if he has done some for OO or bigger as he will reduce at a reasonable cost and very quick normally. Both do have websites

Good bloke. He's run up some tailor-made transfers for me in the past. I've found his decals to be less prone to breaking than other brands, which is useful for someone as clumsy as me!

Cheers, NeMo

thebrighton

NeMo

Vigo

Quote from: NeMo on January 06, 2019, 04:36:11 PM
Looks perfect! Thank you.

NeMo

Quote from: thebrighton on January 06, 2019, 04:34:25 PM
Phil at the 2mm SA supplies them (don't think you need to be a member).
http://www.2mm.org.uk/small_suppliers/philsmith/index.htm
I tried to buy some GCR loco decals off this guy via the 2mmSoc a while back - unsucessfully. I emailed him maybe half a dozen times over the space of about 18 months but I never even got the courtesy of a single reply so don't hold your breath  >:(

I'd still like some GCR loco decals though, for a very bare looking D11 that's been sulking in a corner for a couple of years so if anyone knows anybody reliable.... :'(
In Memoriam: https://hadfieldsite.wordpress.com/

Latest project: San Pablo - Rural Spain in miniature (HOe ish)

honk843

Hi,

On this subject I am looking for decals for LBSC Stroudley coaches from Etched Pixel etches. Any suggestions?

thebrighton

Quote from: Vigo on January 10, 2019, 01:18:02 AM

I tried to buy some GCR loco decals off this guy via the 2mmSoc a while back - unsucessfully. I emailed him maybe half a dozen times over the space of about 18 months but I never even got the courtesy of a single reply so don't hold your breath  >:(

I'd still like some GCR loco decals though, for a very bare looking D11 that's been sulking in a corner for a couple of years so if anyone knows anybody reliable.... :'(

Never had a problem, I'd try again but your emails could just be going in to his spam folder. No reason why Phil would ignore you unless he hasn't seen your emails.

thebrighton

Quote from: honk843 on January 10, 2019, 08:01:24 AM

On this subject I am looking for decals for LBSC Stroudley coaches from Etched Pixel etches. Any suggestions?

You're in luck, Ian McCormac has just produces some excellent ones. Hopefully you can follow this link over on RMWeb: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/136042-2mm-lbscr-and-secr-carriage-and-lbscr-wagon-transfers-as-well-as-4mm-umber-period-loco-ones-too/#entry3244957

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations