N Gauge Now

Started by Northern Git, November 24, 2013, 10:21:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

railsquid

Quote from: JimF on June 27, 2015, 02:16:00 PM
Hmm, there must be 2 different Journals out there.

My copies, from the past year, are very close to being equal to the commercial mags, in print quality, photo quality, and article quality.
Yup, I only have two issues so far, but the N Gauge Journal was a pleasant surprise - I was half expecting a stuffy rheostated membership newsletter, but received a professionally produced magazine which is a pleasure to read.

I'd also be happy to subscribe to N Gauge Now as it seems interesting, but the overseas postage costs seem a tad excessive.

JimF

You can order the next three issues for 2015 for £12.75 (includes UK postage).

Jim F

JimF

Quote from: Only Me on June 27, 2015, 04:45:26 PM
So is that almost double the price then?

If you mean, for me, yes. I'm in the US, so it would be a additional £18. postage for the 3 issue deal. £30.75 total = $48.40 US.

Jim F

CarriageShed

The quality of presentation in the Journal has taken a nose-dive in the past year or so, whereas N Gauge Now is superbly written; bright, fresh, and showing great promise. I know which I prefer reading now.

NeMo

Quote from: Pete33 on June 27, 2015, 09:47:29 PM
The quality of presentation in the Journal has taken a nose-dive in the past year or so
In what way? Is this coincident with Grahame H (formerly of this manor) taking the helm? It's probably fair to say that Grahame has a very definite slant on where the NGS Journal should go, and what it should look like. If that isn't to your taste, you might see that as the NGS Journal getting poorer. But that's surely a subjective opinion? Looking at NGS Journal back issues, there's no way it's palpably worse than it was a few years ago, and possibly better in some ways.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

red_death

Wow, some people must be reading very different versions of the two mags being compared to me!

Richard did a great job for a long time on the NGS Journal, but the quality has improved significantly since Grahame took over.  I'm  really surprised that some people are criticising the quality of images as to my mind that is one of the areas that has improved.

By comparison some of the photos (or the reproduction) in N Gauge Now was pretty poor (images were out of focus or too dark).  Having said which I'm not sure that the comparison is particularly valid as the aims of both organisations is very different.

Cheers, Mike

tim-pelican

My main concern with the NGS Journal under Grahame's oversight is than it's suffering the same lapses as his own publications did previously at times - of slipping into belittling and berating rather then encouraging.  Talking about "toys" or "train sets" in a dismissive tone to those who are at a different place on the "model" vs "operate" spectrum to the author really doesn't help the hobby, in my view.

I still think there's some good material in there, and it's not a constant issue with the tone, but it does seem to be a change.

JimF

First, to clarify my earlier post about the cost per issue of the 2 publications:

NGS Journal
UK £16. Divided by 6 = £2.67 each
US £26. Divided by 6 = £4.33 each

N Gauge Now
UK £12.75 for next 3 2015 issues. Divided by 3 = £4.25 each
US £30.75  "   "   "  "     "     Divided by 3 = £10.25
So more closely, NG Now would be closer to 2.5 times the cost.

Tim, regarding G. Hedges, yes, I find he can be quite opinionated, but is he really different from the rest of us? Your statement "the NGS Journal under Grahame's oversight is than it's suffering the same lapses as his own publications did previously at times - of slipping into belittling and berating rather then encouraging" sounds just like the type of thing you are accusing him of.

We all do it, at some point, and in one way or the other. Myself, I have never felt this belittling tone from him, (Ok maybe when he talks about steam locos :) ), and find the overall tone of the Journal very much a positive one, encouraging folks to strive to do their best.

I do not recall reading anywhere, online, or in the Journal or Newsletter, that the NGS was inundated with volunteers to take on the role of editor. If anyone of those folks who are so quick to point out his shortcomings regarding the Journal feel they can do better, step up to the plate and take it on. I know I couldn't do it.

Personally, I feel the NGS is lucky to have gotten someone with the knowledge, skills and background that GH has, to have taken it on.

Just my 5 cents worth, not worth that much.

Jim F

Railwaygun

Why not ask N GAuge now for a US Digital edition (PDF) ?? email is free.
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

NeMo

Quote from: JimF on June 29, 2015, 12:20:33 PM
I do not recall reading anywhere, online, or in the Journal or Newsletter, that the NGS was inundated with volunteers to take on the role of editor. If anyone of those folks who are so quick to point out his shortcomings regarding the Journal feel they can do better, step up to the plate and take it on. I know I couldn't do it.

I think that's pretty much the answer. The sorts of people who are happy to take on this job (for no money) are going to be the sorts of people who like writing -- and through their writing, share their opinions and insights with the world.

Before Grahame H, Richard B was editor, and he's no mean writer himself. For good or for ill, that's the nature of these things.

My hope is that as time passes Grahame will learn to be as good an editor as he is a modeller. He's still a trifle quick to over-edit submissions (explaining what the N Gauge Forum was in my Avonway article was one example of an unnecessary edit). That sort of over-editing annoys the writers and adds no value. On the other hand, I think he "mission" to prompt more N gauge modellers towards personalised, handcrafted modelling techniques is a laudable one, and arguably the heart of what the NGS is meant to do.

Cheers, NeMo

JimF

Railwaaygun, a digital edition was asked about on RMWeb, the response was no plan for one, at this time.

NeMo, yes, I do agree that the add on edits are a bit much. His intentions may be good, but do need to be less of them.

Jim F

CarriageShed

Quote from: JimF on June 29, 2015, 12:20:33 PM
Tim, regarding G. Hedges, yes, I find he can be quite opinionated, but is he really different from the rest of us? Your statement "the NGS Journal under Grahame's oversight is than it's suffering the same lapses as his own publications did previously at times - of slipping into belittling and berating rather then encouraging" sounds just like the type of thing you are accusing him of.

Strange. Tim-pelican's comments seemed to be a very fair illustration of Mr Hedges' previous form repeating itself in the Journal to the detriment of the publication. This must be one of those Marmite topics that the two sides are never going to agree upon. Some of us will have to stick to strawberry jam for the foreseeable future, again to the detriment of the Journal, sadly.

Dr Al

The NGS journal has far too much content from the editor - aside from the comments, a significant percentage of the articles are from the editor. Only in recent editions have they even acknowledged this - earlier ones had a conspicuous absence of author name on them (though it's obvious).

Is there a shortage of material being supplied? I thought the purpose of the editor was to do precisely that - edit, amend and arrange the articles, ensuring they are up to the standard needed; not use the role to belittle others, peddle their own (well known) biases, or recycle material they've already published (and folks have paid for already)?

The NGS Journal has definitely improved, but this is one thing that still grates.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

NeMo

Quote from: Dr Al on July 02, 2015, 09:34:18 AM
peddle their own (well known) biases
To someone new to this, what are these biases of which you speak? What's GH "for" and what's he "against"?

Quote from: Dr Al on July 02, 2015, 09:34:18 AM
or recycle material they've already published (and folks have paid for already)?
Are there really articles in the NGSJ that have been in other magazines? Do we mean his own NSpirations magazine?

Cheers, NeMo

Dr Al

Quote from: NeMo on July 02, 2015, 09:50:40 AM
To someone new to this, what are these biases of which you speak? What's GH "for" and what's he "against"?

He is very pro southern 3rd rail electrics, diesel and electric more generally, and very anti-steam. He's watered it down a bit, but it's still apparent, especially when one knows this from the past. He's also Dapol biased and has heavily criticised Farish in the past (particularly over delivery dates) but not the same level when Dapol commit the same 'sin'.

Not what is wanted from an editor IMHO.

Quote from: NeMo on July 02, 2015, 09:50:40 AM
Are there really articles in the NGSJ that have been in other magazines? Do we mean his own NSpirations magazine?

Yes, there was recycled content from NSpirations as far as I could see. Less so now, presumably as he's exhausted what's available to recycle.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations