What are you modelling?

Started by guest2, November 26, 2010, 09:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PGN

My modeling is exclusively pre-grouping.

At the moment I've not settled on any particular company, and probably never will. I'm building up stock across the piece, and as and when I have enough stock for any company or companies to make a layout viable, I'll start to think about building the layout.

I've plenty of ideas in mind; but two long-term projects are driving my thinking:

(a) Riff-Raff and Artington: watch the trains go by on the stretch of track south of Guildford, where all three of the pre-grouping constituents of the Southern Railway ran their trains over the same metals; and

(b) Carlisle (yeah, I know ... but surely one can dream?) - seven different railway companies all working into the same station

So I guess those ten companies (LSWR, LBSC, SECR, LNWR, MR, NER, NBR, CR, G&SWR, and Maryport & Carlisle) sort of get a marginal preference over all the others. But I'm still acquiring stock for the GNR, GER, LYR, NSR, S&DJR, GCR and various other pre-grouping companies, too. Oh, and even a little GWR, as well.
Pre-Grouping: the best of all possible worlds!

I would rather build a model which is wrong but "looks right" than a model which is right but "looks wrong".

Newportnobby

How about Oxfordshire?
Can't comment on pre-grouping but in the mid 60's you could get everything at Oxford other than Scottish region stuff :D

Bealman

Great Central.  After the  great Peter Denny.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Crossroadsofsabbath

A rock band in a rehearsal room.
This is my first effort.

The amplifiers are a tiny bit too big.
Some of the figures were modified.
The drum kit is from scratch.

This will be inside a building so it needed lights. I think i might rearrange them or have several ceiling units (all this is in parts).

[smg id=27844 type=preview align=center caption="rock band in rehearsal room"]

Newportnobby

Welcome to the forum :wave:
That looks pretty good to me - all decent bands need a 'wall of Marshalls' :D

Crossroadsofsabbath

Thanks Mr Newport,
I would like to point out that the amps represented are an early Laney and a Vox Ac30.
The drum kit is also the correct colour and (almost) the correct configuration. I gave up on the hi-hat but am tempted to have another go as i still have a number of weeks before this model will be put on display.

Its a very specific scene at a specific time.

Details of the event i have made it for are on the link below
https://crossroadsofsabbath.wordpress.com/ozzy-zig-the-witch-the-warpig/

cheers

If anyone can point me to other n guage models of rock bands that would doubtless be useful to look at/try and work out how they were executed.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Crossroadsofsabbath on August 05, 2015, 10:27:27 AM
I would like to point out that the amps represented are an early Laney and a Vox Ac30.

:oopssign:
Sorry. I'm not into the technicalities but am a great Sabbath afficionado so thanks for the link. Looks fascinating.
I do seem to recall someone created a music festival (like Monsters of Rock) but my brain cells cannot recall where I saw it (caused, no doubt, by too many loud gigs)

Crossroadsofsabbath

You might be thinking of a Noch unit.
I saw that online.

Wonham

:)
Quote from: dpr59 on November 26, 2010, 09:02:23 PM
No special region or era.

I've a Virgin Voyager, GNER 125, DMU 150, Class 20 and an 08 Diesel Shunter.

Also a 2-6-2 Tank (Scarborough NE Livery) hauling 3 Pullman carriages.

I buy then 'cause I like 'em not for an era or such.

Perhaps not purist but it's fun.

Firefox

SR and GWR 1930's/40's but not anal about it and will probably accumulate any interesting stock, steam or diesel.

MrDavidCallan

Aiming for br era and NSE  but whatever my budget allows and who can turn down a bargain regardless of its region?The pride of my fleet is a Bachmann 411 cep that my fiancee' got me for Xmas.Especially as its running no' 50 which used to run through my childhood hometown(armpit of the earth)Swanley jct.When its too cold in the attic I'll be back downstairs painting soldiers.

dats475

I'm modeling Los Angeles, California in 80's.
I started with an actual location in mind but eventually became funky nowhere location layout.
Still good to see little trains running though!
Best regards with my annoying moving signature.
  :drool: Dats 

Jason B

IM still in planning mode however ive have almost every thing I need .
A single line freight  harping back to the early 90,s midlands I originate colchester very near the GEML and ive seen to many freightliners and commuter trains so there banned ...

So its a single line freight only line the board is around 5 x 4 the plan is to a running line and maybe three loops to store a block based freight working ..the sort of thing seen near coalville area Plus a small refuelling point similar to Ipswich.I have the board / 20 MGRs a nice set of Roco cargo wagons plus Fleischmann steal caring wagons and minitrix oil tankers traction will be type 5 mainly
So just need to get  on with it really ..

any thoughts welcome .thanks

Tractor37

Well I'm modelling the fictitious Yorkshire city of Hood-dale so that means whatever the he'll I like  :D
It is based as a fairly modern era but with throwbacks through securitization and back to the 80's. Also will be rail tour specials etc chucked in for good measure so expect to see some kettles to.
Got a liking for class 37s so expect to see them a plenty in various liveried. Also got a love of dirt and graffiti everywhere. Reminds me o  many of the cities up here... can't beat a bit of realism...
Jas....  :beers:

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations