Farish bargain nightmare!

Started by Elvinley, May 10, 2012, 12:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elvinley

Tempted by another thread I ventured to Model Zone Birmingham and bought a Jubilee for £47.25 (My fourth). I have just spent the last hour and a half making it work. Normally something like this would have gone straight back, but it was the only one they had. Luckily I know my way around these pretty well.

I put it on the track and nothing happened when power was applied. The only wheels picking up power intermittently were the centre loco wheels. I had to strip the loco itself and adjust the tender pickups to get it to the stage it is at now, which is going around my layout happily. Most of the pickups weren't contacting at all. I have never seen anything like this.

Other faults: The loco is loose on its chassis. Tightening the screw will not fix this.

The valve gear was completely out and needed adjusting (all ok now)

I have never had a Farish loco this bad. Maybe it was a return - who knows!

Bealman

EEK. Sounds like a return to the GF quality control of old! Hope not. Your layout is way too good to have crap locos on it. :)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Elvinley

Thanks. It was a shock! It still sounds a bit ropey so may end up going back.

port perran

If it was the last one they had, it is very possible that it has been sold and returned before.
I wouldn't put it past shops to re-display a previously returned item of stock.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

silly moo

Possibly it was put to one side by one person and put back into stock by another.

longbridge

Very pleased you got the loco working OK but very sad to hear that the GF quality control is still that bad, being an Englishman that grew up in the steam era I was pretty surprised and unhappy with the GF steam loco's, poor QC was enough to make me turn to American N Scale but I still love British steam and in particular the Jubilee's that were so common on our local line between B'Ham and Bristol, used to see 45690 just about every second day back then  :thumbsup:
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Bealman

Hi Dave
Did that Jubilee have a name?
George

longbridge

Yes Leander along with Jervis, Trafalgar, Aden, Eire and a whole lot more Jubilees flow through my veins, not forgetting the mighty Patriots, British steam at its best.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Bealman

Hi NPN

Just got back from an extremely stressful drive from the heart of Sydney CBD and checked the forum. Of course: LEANDER! Wasn't that beautifully preserved a long time ago? Where is that locomotive now? Still active or a museum piece?

Way back in 1987 I purchased a Peco Jubilee in maroon livery which went under the name Bahamas. At the time it was my very first British N loco and ran well. I believe they were made for Peco by Rivarossi. Anyway, being my first locomotive, it was used to test everything. This included being run to the very ends of the then-incomplete Beal & Castle Eden baseboards, subsequently ending up on the concrete floor several feet below. SEVERAL times. I mean SEVERAL times. Anyway, the loco got sick of this and finally ended up you-know what.

However, a good mate of mine did a paint job on it and it now resides in green BR livery as 45713 Reknown, complete with yellow diagonal cabside warning stripe (signifying that it was banned from the newly-electrified WCML). It is one of my most treasured possessions. Ok, it still doesn't run, but I have no doubt that when the day comes that I decide to work on it, that this forum will come to my aid.

Even if not, it is a brilliant piece of work which will look good just sitting in on an MPD road!

Nite nite from the Antipodes!

And yes, just caught the latest post. Wonderful names. Good on yer, oldrailbug!!

swisstony

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LMS_Jubilee_Class_5690_Leander
...............Today she is out of action undergoing her regular 10 year overhaul.

this should help you out :D

OwL

I was a bit worried after reading the original post, as inside the same Birmingham store, they have a Class 170 in crosscountry trains livery, reduced to £69.99. This is better than Hattons list price, however now I dont think I shall bother....

Sorry to hear you had a run of bad luck with this loco Elvinley, I just hope that modelzone dont have a policy of selling returns locos, a word of warning!

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

scotsoft

I have never bought any rolling stock from Modelzone but I have bought r/c helicopters.

They do sell returns but it is made abundantly clear before any cash is handed over that the buyer knows it is a return, is bought as seen and comes with no guarantee.

I buy the helicopters for well below half price, take them home, fix them and fly them.

A friend, who also flies heliicopters, buys returned helicopters and planes from Modelzone in Swansea is told the same thing.  He used to live in Manchester where Modelzone have two stores and the same applied there.

I do not work for nor do I have any affiliation with Modelzone and am quite critical of their prices at times, but they are a fair place to buy from and accept returns without any problem offering a replacement or refund.

John.

Elvinley

That info is very interesting. As far as I was aware it was brand new. They certainly didn't say otherwise on the phone when I reserved it, but looking closely at it, it is ex display at the very least. Still a bargain now it runs I suppose.

Newportnobby

Quote from: bealman on May 10, 2012, 01:07:57 PM

Way back in 1987 I purchased a Peco Jubilee in maroon livery which went under the name Bahamas. At the time it was my very first British N loco and ran well. I believe they were made for Peco by Rivarossi.

Things go in circles. The Jubilee I bought earlier this year (Farish's latest offering) is 45596 Bahamas with double chimney in green + late crest. Beautiful looker and runner :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations