Arnold 2019 novelties

Started by ohlavache, January 06, 2019, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohlavache

It seems that Arnold novelties are already listed on Hornby's web site.
https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/shop/brands/arnold-n-1-160.html?&availability=2

Among them, the Brighton Belle is back, as reference HN3006 (+ HN3502).
https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/shop/brands/arnold-n-1-160/arnold-n-1-160-pullman-set-of-2-coaches-5-bel-brighton-belle-coach-and-railcar-period-vi.html (link not yet working)

Have a nice week.

Snowwolflair

Very good, they have changed the coach names so I might be tempted into a second set.  :D

RailGooner

Bob G

They appear to be the ones that everyone really wanted - the transition era coaches before they went blue-grey. Watch them fly...

...as soon as Hornby change the ordering settings, that is.

Dr Al

Quote from: RailGooner on January 06, 2019, 10:10:18 PM
Reasonably priced. :thumbsup:

Be careful. There's a 2 car and the 3 car set listed, and you need both for a full consist. That's therefore £318 for a complete 5 car set (not sure why anyone would want anything else). That's about £120 more than I recall buying mine for.... ouch!

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Dr Al on January 06, 2019, 10:50:34 PM

Be careful. There's a 2 car and the 3 car set listed, and you need both for a full consist. That's therefore £318 for a complete 5 car set (not sure why anyone would want anything else).

Cheers,
Alan

Because there are people who will only buy the coaches to ring the changes on the sets they already have.

Dr Al

Quote from: Snowwolflair on January 06, 2019, 10:53:01 PM
Because there are people who will only buy the coaches to ring the changes on the sets they already have.

I'd think the numbers doing this will be minimal.

What many would do is buy them to use as loco hauled stock, if the couplings weren't odd. Sure, they aren't correct, but they are as close as we have to a flat sided pre-Mk1 pullman coach. The old Farish planked model is really of an earlier prototype.

Makes sense for Hornby to re-run the tooling - they've paid for it, so doing another run seems a no-brainer.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

RailGooner

Be careful. There's a 2 car and the 3 car set listed, and you need both for a full consist. That's therefore £318 for a complete 5 car set (not sure why anyone would want anything else). That's about £120 more than I recall buying mine for.... ouch!

Cheers,
Alan

Yep, I recall paying circa £199 (less a NGS discount IIRC) for my full train in Nov 2014. Probably my favourite model. For insurance purposes, I currently estimate the value of mine at £325.99 which I might have to increase now.

Railwaygun

Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Bob G

Quote from: Railwaygun on January 07, 2019, 09:21:33 AM
pre-order here:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/shop/brands/arnold-n-1-160/page/3.html?availability=2
But if you try to click on the train you get error 404 and if you try to click on the pre-order box you get a window which says "This site says... This site is restricted and the product can only be viewed by specific customers".

I would have thought that followers of Mr Maunsell MIGHT be considered to be quite specific customers, by alas no. I'm feeling a bit Bulleid by all of this. We need a good Leader to sort this all out!

Bob G

Quote from: Snowwolflair on January 06, 2019, 10:53:01 PM

Be careful. There's a 2 car and the 3 car set listed, and you need both for a full consist. That's therefore £318 for a complete 5 car set (not sure why anyone would want anything else).

Cheers,
Alan

Not sure that's likely. This is the post-1956 pre 1967 era set which differs in three ways:
1. It will be a different number unit (the 1938 units were 2051-2053, and post war they were renumbered 3051-3053)
2. The destination boards on the coach roofs are half the length - so they either say Victoria-Brighton or Brighton Belle. The 1938 version had both.
3. The power cars and Second class coach now dont say "Third Class" on the Car number.
This is the configuration I wanted all along, so will have to get it. Though I suspect the earlier umber/cream ones will continue to get silly money on EBay - just not over £320.

Strange they call it Era 6 - I would have said Era 5, as the Blue grey version was Era 6 and the Farish Western Pullman in reversed blue grey is also Era 6.

This is also priced bang on Farish Western Pullman (with discount) territory prices (£318 versus £323 (discounted from £379)) so Hornby have done their research regarding pricing.
I think it's bang on the money.

HTH
Bob

Bealman

I'd love one of those Brighton consists!

When I saw them come out, courtesy of Hornby/Arnold, I thought, YES! at last British N gauge is getting serious!

But wasn't that excursion fleeting!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

snitchthebudgie

Hopefully someone in the know can post how to become one of the chosen ones and order a new set!!

Buffin

The Hornby site is slower for me than this site ever was!  :o

snitchthebudgie

Everyone no doubt trawling for the 'OO' released.  I just wish that a few of those would end up in 'N'.  >:(

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations