Resources for finding what rolling stock is available

Started by gavin_t, November 06, 2019, 01:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

Shell tankers are probably TTAs, the PCAs are the cement/dry powder ones, which Farish do also do!

There are quite a lot of deals on Farish 60s; they've announced a new version which will be sound ready. It remains to be seen if there are any other changes, and if the body will the same simply with a modified chassis (which would be my assumption). As I say I think it's one of their best models, and probably their absolute best in haulage terms, so I hope they don't ruin it!

crewearpley40

Maybe tea tankers but wo nt argue with the tta. Re the pca wagons. I googled pca wagons. C-rail-intermodal.co.uk, https://realtrackmodels.co.uk. Both nicks and my ideas could work. Nick would know suppliers. I just know the flows and operations

njee20

There are loads of different PCAs (including the stunning ones that Accurascale are doing), but the metalair ones look very similar to TTAs. As you say there are TEAs, but they're bogie wagons.

gavin_t

Maybe I meant tta.

Anyway specifically These http://herefordmodels.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=369_371_560_561&products_id=10535

Now do I go for the good deal on the coal livery 60. Or the distribution liveried 47  :-\
Might go with the 60 as I haven't had a 60 before.

njee20

Those are Peco wagons, which are a bit of a generic wagon, rather than being an accurate depiction of anything. They're cheap though!

I've always had a soft spot for 60s, but they didn't tend to stray to the south east all that often, so a 47 may be technically more accurate or widespread.

Could just get both. You'll need them in the fullness of time...!

gavin_t

Quote from: njee20 on November 07, 2019, 10:52:57 PM
Those are Peco wagons, which are a bit of a generic wagon, rather than being an accurate depiction of anything. They're cheap though!

I've always had a soft spot for 60s, but they didn't tend to stray to the south east all that often, so a 47 may be technically more accurate or widespread.

Could just get both. You'll need them in the fullness of time...!

Hmmm both does sound good, you are a bad influence  ;D

The peco set did seem a good way to get a rake of wagons easily and fairly cheap.  Although I am going to pop to the local shop this weekend as I am sure they were doing a load of farish bogie tankers for £10 each a little while ago.
I do like 60's but as you say I can't find much evidence of them coming down this way.  One shot on one on a special charter in London and another in Ipswich.  Believe they were all based at Toton?
The 47 would suit well but I plan to get a 47 with the capital connect NSE set and am trying to get a variety. So think a 60 maybe the way to go and just wing it with its appearance. Plus it is a good deal at that price at the mo  :D

njee20

I'm not totally sure where your layout is based, much of the South East didn't really have much freight beyond some aggregates flows and engineering trains, if that. Other paths, like Southampton-Midlands have always had more; cars, containers, oil etc.

Class 60s were pretty common on these flows, and were not uncommon around Eastleigh. So base your model around there and you have a far better choice of stock!

crewearpley40

Your right about the aggregate flows, engineering trains. The freightliner traings gavin wishes are tilbury, felixstowe, dagenham bound or start from those points which would of / use ( d ) the north london lines. Class 60s were toton, cardiff based and often stabled at leicester, immingham, tinsley. Also barking ripple lane had  seruices. A 47 would be idealfreightliner. A 60 would have been seen at r. Lane

gavin_t

Quote from: njee20 on November 08, 2019, 02:21:34 PM
I'm not totally sure where your layout is based, much of the South East didn't really have much freight beyond some aggregates flows and engineering trains, if that. Other paths, like Southampton-Midlands have always had more; cars, containers, oil etc.

Class 60s were pretty common on these flows, and were not uncommon around Eastleigh. So base your model around there and you have a far better choice of stock!

To be fair mine is a fictional setting with a nod to the southeast as I want to model NSE stock as that is what I remember seeing growing up.
Mainly want to ensure that the stock I run is of the same era and could have feasibly been see running together  :)

Mainly considered a petroleum sector train as my local line the London, Tilbury and southend used to carry the trains from shell haven refinery. Although other then leaving stanford le hope and arriving in Wales I a struggling to find any more info on the route they took.

Thanks for all your input so far by the way  :thankyousign:

crewearpley40

Gavin. Im sure you would have seen the shell haven, coryton to pembroke oil tanks ran via ripple lane, barking , gospel oak, north london line, west junction. Acton , great western mainline, ,swindon, bristol parkway,  westerleigh, severn tunnel, newport . Cardiff avoiding line. Ripple lane 37 or 60 on the oil tanks. 47 freightliner. Hope helps

crewearpley40

From memory rmweb type in freight on the tilbury loop. Class 47 would have hauled the dagenham ford autoomotive ipa cartics. Stone trains ran to dagenham purfleet west thurrock, freightliner to dagenham tilbury london gateway felixstowe , mod vaa, vea to shoeburyness, cement west thurrock, scrap, spoil at barking, cement train to thurrock. Maybe odd 31. Class 37 and 60 on thames haven via ripple lane barking tottenham hampstead north london line. Routes onto acton and willesden

njee20

Not cheap, but Farish have just released a new variation of the the TEA bogie tanker appropriate for the early 90s. Would look awesome with a petroleum 60!

gavin_t

Quote from: njee20 on November 08, 2019, 07:10:48 PM
Not cheap, but Farish have just released a new variation of the the TEA bogie tanker appropriate for the early 90s. Would look awesome with a petroleum 60!

Is that the one that is doing the magazine review rounds at the moment? If so yes it looks awesome!.  Bit pricey though as you say once you have a few of them!

njee20

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations