Server Upgrade

Started by guest2, December 06, 2018, 03:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daveg

Not to prolong the file size debate too much, I tend to use c800 x 600 'pixies' when resizing a photo. That gives me an image of around the 200 odd kB like this one:

I think that shows things fairly well and allows a bit of zooming in..

Dave G

Railwaygun

We cannot afford unlimited disc space or repeated upgrades, so some limits on file size will be necessary.

Can the server s/w resize submitted pictures? Or at least produce an "outsize picture" error message
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Leon

I've just attempted to upload an image - several times. I believe I'm using the same process I've been using but get this message:
The following error or errors occurred while adding the picture
Not a valid picture file.

It IS a valid picture file and if I'm doing anything differently I'm unable to identify my mistake. While I'm at it, I'd like to suggest that there should be a simpler way to upload. No?

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

Bealman

I've been getting that message too, Leon.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Leon on December 15, 2018, 01:22:25 AM
I've just attempted to upload an image - several times. I believe I'm using the same process I've been using but get this message:
The following error or errors occurred while adding the picture
Not a valid picture file.

It IS a valid picture file and if I'm doing anything differently I'm unable to identify my mistake. While I'm at it, I'd like to suggest that there should be a simpler way to upload. No?

Leon

Yes and we will all get this message until the input filters are updated to the settings the old site had (see earlier notes on the thread).   Remember this is a new install of the forum software and all the settings will have reverted to default.

keithbythe sea

:thankyousign:  :thankyousign:  :thankyousign:

To Tank and The techies

:thumbsup:  :beers:

port perran

Just to prove that Tank has fixed the missing reply button for those of us who were having the problem.   :thumbsup:

I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Innovationgame

Quote from: Railwaygun on December 14, 2018, 10:34:28 PM
We cannot afford unlimited disc space or repeated upgrades, so some limits on file size will be necessary.

Can the server s/w resize submitted pictures? Or at least produce an "outsize picture" error message
Most pictures from today's cameras are of the order of 8MB.  In order to reduce the file size and increase download speed, I edit the file using Paint to reduce the size to 25% which produces a file of less than 500kB (1/4 X 1/4 = 1/16).  The resulting definition is plenty good enough for website use.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Phoenix

Many thanks @Tank and the team

:thankyousign:

As you see, like Martin I can now post here, and I checked the E-bay thread I was not able to post in and that is OK now.

As to photos, I have found a place called IrfanView, which I can re-size photos in, so as not to fill up too much gallery space, as suggested by Mito and Mike.

All best wishes
Kevin

:beers:

Trainfish

I seem to have a problem with the notify options when a reply has been posted in a thread. It's fine for those set before the upgrade but now if I change from the default 'Email' to 'Alerts' it doesn't seem to change anything. I still get an email when a post is added and no alert showing.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Dorsetmike

From t'other upgrade thread

QuoteErr, where's the wiki link? I've never seen it and still can't

What Wiki link? I don't recall seeing it either unless it's under another name.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

daveg

Re wiki, think it was where the Gallery [61208] button is now.

See also:
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=42653.msg529439#msg529439

Dave G

Newportnobby

Quote from: Innovationgame on December 16, 2018, 11:54:18 AM
Quote from: Railwaygun on December 14, 2018, 10:34:28 PM

Most pictures from today's cameras are of the order of 8MB.  In order to reduce the file size and increase download speed, I edit the file using Paint to reduce the size to 25% which produces a file of less than 500kB (1/4 X 1/4 = 1/16).  The resulting definition is plenty good enough for website use.

I, too, use 'Paint' to resize the odd photo for the Club Kawasaki forum but, as I take quite a few pics at quite a few exhibitions, it would be a royal P.I.T.A. to resize all of those for this forum.
I await developments/new instructions from the Techies

Malc

Just for your info, Mick. I have on my lappy a utility called Picture Resizer, which does as it says on the tin. It's a freeby so next time I power it up, i'll See where I got it from.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Malc

I think this is it. @dannyboy @Newportnobby https://www.bricelam.net/ImageResizer/

I didn't want an online one, just because I don't trust them.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations