Swearing On The Forum

Started by Tank, February 13, 2021, 10:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlenEglise

Tank

The forum has a built in piece of coding to swap over any words that we feel are inappropriate to others.  Sometimes it's hard to get it right with the context of the word, like 'male chicken', as that can be naughty!  ;)

Those that add symbols or leave gaps in words just to show the word aren't very bright.   ::)  They may get around the filter, but when the moderators or myself read it, it's a ban. :scowl:

Trainfish

My surname has 'male chicken' (changed by forum) in it and I have often had an issue if I have had to use my full name on certain webpages. Not this one though as I don't put it on here  :thumbsup:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

dannyboy

Shouldn't "large chicken" read err...."large chicken"?  I presume we are talking about a male chicken here.  ???. Just wondering.  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Trainfish

I think you're just being a 'male chicken' (changed by forum) now David  :D
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

chrism

Quote from: Trainfish on March 29, 2021, 10:14:28 AM
My surname has Large Chicken :) in it and I have often had an issue if I have had to use my full name on certain webpages. Not this one though as I don't put it on here  :thumbsup:

I wonder if the swear filter could be set to only trigger on [space]Large Chicken[space] ??

That way (if it is possible, depends on how the coding works) it would allow your surname as well as legitimate words like StopLargeChicken or, even, the railways civil contractor BabLargeChicken.

PGN

I remember a dear friend on the national committee of my old trade union - a wonderfully gentle, inoffensive lady - being most upset when one of the words in one of her posts on the union  message board had been asterisked out, leaving "s******ing* ... and she couldn't for the life of her remember what word she had used, but was convinced (as were we all) that it couldn't have been offensive.

So I read her post in context and figured it out for her.

The word she had used was "s-n-i-g-g-e-r-i-n-g", and the software had decided that the middle section was offensive.

On the Great Outdoors Challenge message board (for lunatics like myself, who like to spend their holidays walking across Scotland) it is routine for those who are speaking of Donside to refer to a particularly well-frequented spot as "male hen bridge"!

of course, when referring to place names such as the Hertfordshire village of Shingay-cvm-Wendy it is advisable to use the Latin usage of a "v" in place of a "u" ... the word is, of course, a Latin word ("cvm" meaning "with") ... but I wonder if it is advisable to adopt this usage more generally? When referring, for instance, to the Scottish new town where they filmed "Gregory's Girl", should we routinely write "Cvmbernauld"? And come to that, should we speak of the English county of Cvmbria (or, if in pre-1972 mode) Cvmberland?

It's a minefield, isn't it??
Pre-Grouping: the best of all possible worlds!

I would rather build a model which is wrong but "looks right" than a model which is right but "looks wrong".

Trainfish

Many years ago I played badminton and we used to hit a shuttle large chicken over the net  :D

In fairness to Tank though it does appear as shuttlecock  :thumbsup:

(No large chickens were harmed while we played by the way)
John

<*))))><

PGN

Does the football result Arsenal 3 - Scunthorpe 1 come out OK?

[yes ... it seems to ... ]

I would rather build a model which is wrong but "looks right" than a model which is right but "looks wrong".

Trainfish

John

<*))))><

Newportnobby

But isn't it madness when you can't type the well known name of a P2 steam loco i.e.
C o c k O' The North?

chrism

Quote from: Tank on March 29, 2021, 09:25:43 AM
Those that add symbols or leave gaps in words just to show the word aren't very bright.   ::)  They may get around the filter, but when the moderators or myself read it, it's a ban. :scowl:
Quote from: Newportnobby on March 29, 2021, 02:35:45 PM
But isn't it madness when you can't type the well known name of a P2 steam loco i.e.
C o c k O' The North?

Miss, miss, he put spaces in  to get round the filter. I'm going to tell a mod ..... oops ... ah ... er ... um    :smiley-laughing:

PGN

Quote from: Trainfish on March 29, 2021, 02:08:02 PM
:laughabovepost:

You have a PM  :thumbsup:

Thank you, TrainFish.

They are, of course, two of the three English professional football clubs with rude words in their names.

If you cannot figure out the third, you'll have to PM me for enlightenment ...

Fardap

Quote from: Newportnobby on March 27, 2021, 11:39:16 AM
Quote from: honestjudge on March 27, 2021, 08:35:00 AM

Do we need an angry thread?  I may be wrong but this seems to me where all the ranting comes from.

But, Shirley, the two go hand in hand?
We are an angry race. Currently the Angry thread is far more popular than the Happy thread.....
Happy thread 342 pages
Angry thread 478 pages

I wonder though if the extra pages in the angry thread are generated by supportive messages and suggestions on fixing an issue. As previously stated that thread is not only somewhere to rant but also get support.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Fardap on March 29, 2021, 03:33:55 PM
Quote from: Newportnobby on March 27, 2021, 11:39:16 AM
Quote from: honestjudge on March 27, 2021, 08:35:00 AM

Do we need an angry thread?  I may be wrong but this seems to me where all the ranting comes from.

But, Shirley, the two go hand in hand?
We are an angry race. Currently the Angry thread is far more popular than the Happy thread.....
Happy thread 342 pages
Angry thread 478 pages

I wonder though if the extra pages in the angry thread are generated by supportive messages and suggestions on fixing an issue. As previously stated that thread is not only somewhere to rant but also get support.

I agree completely. Heaps more follow on posts than in the Happy Thread.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations