Swearing On The Forum

Started by Tank, February 13, 2021, 10:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Dear all,

There has been an increase in swearing on the forum in recent weeks.  This is against our Code of Conduct, and includes the thinly veiled attempts at swapping letters for symbols or leaving spaces between letters.  Due to the recent frequency and the moderators being busy, we will therefore delete an entire post for including the word.  This may also include us muting the member for a number of weeks as well.

Please report any that you see, as this is a busy forum and the team can't read every post!

Thanks for your help,
Tank.

lil chris

Thanks for the advice I always avoid swearing on the site but is it still ok to swear at home. The other night I lost my internet at home and I could not log into my fav site, I am afraid I am guilty of swearing on that occasion. Keep safe.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

Newportnobby

;D Feel free, @lil chris . There are no Mods at your house to delete anything, and it's another way of saving for more coal wagons if you have a swear box.

lil chris

Quote from: Newportnobby on March 26, 2021, 08:28:06 PM
;D Feel free, @lil chris . There are no Mods at your house

Your wrong there Mick @Newportnobby swmbo would have something to say about it. I don't hold any hopes for the Wigan show this year, keeping my fingers crossed. Keep Safe.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

honestjudge

:censored:

Out of curiosity,  is this emoji option you offer considered swearing?

Bealman

If the software recognises something that is not allowed, it substitutes that symbol... usually.

(That's my understanding of it - perhaps @Tank  can elaborate)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

chrism

Quote from: Bealman on March 27, 2021, 06:00:52 AM
If the software recognises something that is not allowed, it substitutes that symbol... usually.

A friend was an admin on a photography forum and, being a Canon user, he changed the swear filter to replace "Nikon" with "Tonka"  :D

weave

Quote from: honestjudge on March 27, 2021, 05:21:08 AM

Quote from: honestjudge on March 27, 2021, 05:21:08 AM

Good question. I don't know the answer but would be good to know. I've used it a few times where the reader would probably know what it stood for but I thought I was being family friendly and forum correct by putting it in myself but maybe not???

Bealman

Well, at the moment, it is there, available for use.

I think Tank is referring to words which start with the first letter and end with the last, so it is obvious what it is.

But the symbol is substituted for obviously offensive words.

Once again, we'll need Tank to clarify the situation with the censored symbol.

njee20

As I read it he means circumventing any filters by using alternative letters, like $h1p or putting spaces like "s h i p". It would be very odd to have an issue with either starring out words, or use of a "censored" emoji. The idea being that both conceal the word that you're (not) writing.

I'm always amused by this stance though in the interest of family friendliness - the users of Mumsnet use language which would make a navvy blush!

Another forum I'm a member of has a decent filter, you type exactly what you want and it simply stars anything inappropriate. Circumventing that like the above is a banable offence. Personally I've never tested that here, so no idea if there's any filter, other than the "large chicken" nonsense, it seems easier to just... y'know... not swear.

GrahamB

I typed "work" once. But I think I got away with it.
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

Bealman

Yeah, well that's basically it.  Please don't swear on the forum.  :thumbsup:

honestjudge

Yes I would agree ,  don't swear. Then I wonder why are people swearing on a model train forum?
I know some people are really passionate about the hobby, but it seems to me that certain topics, mainly non N gauge, inspire the bad language.
Do we need an angry thread?  I may be wrong but this seems to me where all the ranting comes from.

Train Waiting

Quote from: Bealman on March 27, 2021, 08:12:54 AM
Yeah, well that's basically it.  Please don't swear on the forum.  :thumbsup:

Seconded; absolutely no need for it.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

emjaybee

Quote from: honestjudge on March 27, 2021, 08:35:00 AM
Yes I would agree ,  don't swear. Then I wonder why are people swearing on a model train forum?
I know some people are really passionate about the hobby, but it seems to me that certain topics, mainly non N gauge, inspire the bad language.
Do we need an angry thread?  I may be wrong but this seems to me where all the ranting comes from.

We're all guilty of swearing at times in our lives. I'm as bad as anyone else. But I moderate my language around my clients and in social circles. Having a rage with/without swearing provides a proven chemical release in the brain which helps to reduce stress and anxiety.

That said, we can all cope without swearing on the forum, I was pulled up in my early days about character substitutions, but I try my best to avoid any further infringements.

Regards the 'Angry Thread', yes I think its perfectly acceptable. Again, venting provides the chemical release that helps us cope, and comfort is found by sharing frustrations, and solutions are frequently suggested following 'vents'. So its often a very positive thing. Let's not forget that some forum members, even pre-Covid, are somewhat isolated, whether its for health, personal or social reasons so I think it's a useful thread.

Opinions may vary...

Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34