New Server

Started by guest2, January 07, 2012, 10:33:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joker

Well from my little bit of coding knowledge all I can say is that cahce has pro's and con's if its not used effectively.

Just checked the header images and them seem to be loaded from external resources and they have a bare size of 10KB.

Coming back to cache, lets say, admin placed 10 images in rotation script and after a while he removed all of the images and placed 10 more images in there. So instead of loading 10 simple images the browser is going to have 20 images in the cache.

Moreover, if somehow the image name remain same(just assume it), in that case you are going to see cached images and not the new one. So even if you people are planning to place cache on rotating script, do it carefully.

m1racleman

Quote from: Chinahand on January 08, 2012, 06:59:33 AM
While sponsorship and advertising revenues may sound a good idea we would end up with all sorts of pop-ups and intrusive side-screens which would slow down the web site and detract from the whole user experience. I, for one, would not welcome advertising here.

Best dig deep and send a massive donation then !  ;D

painbrook

Is there any fellow member out there that has not a clue what these boffins are talking about. Cheers john.

m1racleman

Quote from: painbrook on January 11, 2012, 07:18:17 PM
Is there any fellow member out there that has not a clue what these boffins are talking about. Cheers john.

YEP ! !  ??? ??? ???

m1racleman

All I know is that it reminds me of "cooks" and "broth" !
Can't think why  ;D

Newportnobby

On a separate subject from caching, everytime I log in at the top left hand side it tells me my password is incorrect.
Type exactly the same thing in again in the message box and instant log in ???
Anyone else experiencing this, or is it just this numpty :computerangry:

Alex

Hmmm....sounds like a cache 22 situation to me... :smiley-laughing:.. :smiley-laughing:

Ok... I'll leave now  :wave:

Griffo

Quote from: newportnobby on January 11, 2012, 08:12:41 PM
On a separate subject from caching, everytime I log in at the top left hand side it tells me my password is incorrect.

I had the same - had to change the address in the shortcut from www.ngaugeforum.org.uk to ngaugeforum.org.uk (no www at the beginning). My fault for not reading it properly when it changed!!

Newportnobby

Quote from: griffo49 on January 11, 2012, 08:42:22 PM
Quote from: newportnobby on January 11, 2012, 08:12:41 PM

I had the same - had to change the address in the shortcut from www.ngaugeforum.org.uk to ngaugeforum.org.uk (no www at the beginning). My fault for not reading it properly when it changed!!

Doh! (Many thanks :-[)

Lawrence

Quote from: alex crawford on January 11, 2012, 08:17:30 PM

Hmmm....sounds like a cache 22 situation to me... :smiley-laughing:.. :smiley-laughing:

Ok... I'll leave now  :wave:

Alex, no need to get you coat, I have it ready for you  ;)  :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

Chinahand

Hi Tank,

One thing I have noticed with the new server is that I now have to  Log In every time even though I set the remember option to 'Forever' when I log in. However, as soon as I enter the first letter of my user name it suddenly remembers both that and my password. Is it me or the new server ?
Regards,
Trevor (aka Chinahand)
[smg id=2316]

kiwi1941

Quote from: Chinahand on January 12, 2012, 05:26:03 AM
One thing I have noticed with the new server is that I now have to  Log In every time even though I set the remember option to 'Forever' when I log in. However, as soon as I enter the first letter of my user name it suddenly remembers both that and my password. Is it me or the new server ?

No problem for me - must be the Chinese censors  ::)
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty." Wendell Phillips.

Eternal paranoia is the price of liberty: vigilance is not enough. Len Deighton.

Chinahand

No, It's not a China problem as I go through a VPN because anything with the word 'model' in it gets blocked here. This only started when the new server came on line.
Regards,
Trevor (aka Chinahand)
[smg id=2316]

kiwi1941

Quote from: Chinahand on January 12, 2012, 06:19:55 AM
anything with the word 'model' in it gets blocked here

I know the problem I had great difficulty communicating with someone whose email address was, quite innocently, S&Mfamilyname.xtra.co.nz !!  :angel:

Brian
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty." Wendell Phillips.

Eternal paranoia is the price of liberty: vigilance is not enough. Len Deighton.

Cimmerian

Quote from: Chinahand on January 12, 2012, 05:26:03 AM
Hi Tank,

I'm getting the same thing here.
Regards, Ken

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations