New N Gauge underlay from DCC Concepts

Started by NGS-PO, February 15, 2020, 08:08:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NGS-PO

Details of this new underlay came via a DCC Concepts email:

https://www.dccconcepts.com/?s=track+bed

It looks interesting, and comes with a 10 year guarantee.

Best

Scott.
If you know someone who's depressed, please resolve never to ask them why. Depression isn't a straightforward response to a bad situation; depression just is, like the weather.Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they're going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It's hard to be a friend to someone who's depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do."

(PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.)

PLD

Personally, I wouldn't  touch any sort of foam underlay... It was all the rage a few years ago among finescale modellers after some big name wrote about it in one of the mags.
It proved too flexible for reliable base board joins on portable layouts that were regularly moved and the long term effects of some glues, paints, or solvents were unpredictable... It might look ok when first laid, but the effects could be slow. Who is patient enough to wait a couple of years after laying the underlay before laying the track??

red_death

If it is the material I think it is then it does last but it also compresses over time.

I wouldn't be a fan of using it.

Cheers Mike

njee20

Looks just like Plastazote, like the Woodland Scenics stuff.

I used it (edit: Plastazote/WS stuff I mean). Wouldn't bother again. As said it's quite squishy, which is a bit of a pain.  Hasn't worn or compressed, but I can see it causing problems at baseboard joins as described.

Belly

I had a look at it but agree with ngee20.

I'll stay with cork.

Cheers,

Geoff

ntpntpntp

I'm afraid I wouldn't use it either.  Back in the 80s I used foam underlay and found it gave very little support, if there were any bowing in the pointwork (Setrack diamonds particularly prone to that) then  I ended up having to pin the trackwork so hard through the underlay the stuff might as well have not been there.

I'll stick with cork strip. It works.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

njee20

It's pretty dense, nothing like the Peco foam or anything, but I do think the squishiness is not actually that helpful. Extremely good noise damping though. Far better than cork, even before ballasting.

honestjudge

I wouldn't write this product off yet without a decent review. Modern closed cell foams are quite tough, and as said previously, would possibly have good sound dampening qualities which is a big negative with cork, in my experience.

Paddy

Personally I would never touch any form of foam underlay again.  Maybe it works in the larger scales where rolling stock is heavier but in N it results in an uneven track bed (unless you are gods gift at laying it).  On my first layout I had all manner of running problems with the PECO stuff.  On HOLLERTON JUCTION, I laid the track directly on the baseboard and to date I have had no problems.

Kind regards

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

njee20

This doesn't look anything like the Peco foam stuff though. Which is much more like a sponge type foam.

TalyllynJon

'foam' covers a wide range of materials, so I definitely wouldn't write off this product without seeing it. If it's similar to foamex for example it could be a really solid material.

I was actually quite a fan of Peco's spongey foam underlay when I first got into N gauge as a kid. It was quick and easy to work with, provided good sound proofing and it was relatively easy to remove and re-lay track every time I changed my mind. Having said that, I probably wouldn't use it today, but I'd certainly be interested in this new product. (One issue with Peco's underlay was that it deteriorated over time. When clearing my parents' house I rediscovered my last layout - must've been over 30 years old. I was delighted - but as soon as I touched the track the underlay literally crumbled to dust and the track work disintegrated!)

silly moo

It looks similar to Woodland Scenics track bed which is what I use. I have found it very good especially as I have a styrofoam baseboard. The main advantage of this new one is the colour, it's much more realistic and I'm sure some people will use it as is without ballasting.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations