Dapol Maunsell coaches

Started by Dorsetmike, September 12, 2013, 08:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

Quote from: talisman56 on August 30, 2017, 02:13:58 PM
There is a full list of product numbers and running numbers but I won't publish here as it's not fully confirmed - indeed, my feedback has prompted them to change the proposed running number of the BR(S) Green BCK to one of the ones that ran in a 2P-set...

Thanks Talisman56 - that info on the Dapol site is really useful.

Mark

talisman56

Quote from: Chris in Prague on August 30, 2017, 03:09:00 PM
Many thanks for this news. I've been waiting to complete my two 2P sets. If the production batches arrive just before Christmas, then my Christmas presents list is done! 8-)

I think the BTK(4) vehicles are not the type that ran in North Cornwall? I'll buy a full 3-set in a box, especially if it is a North Cornwall set; plus two BCKs in BR(S) Green to go with my existing two BTKs.

The BTK(4)s are the ones that were used in the 390-99/445-48 sets, some of which were diagrammed for West of England services (which, with a little Rule One-ery could include North Cornwall) post-war. The full sets will be from the 390-99 series. The individual BTK(4)s being produced will have running numbers that will match one of the existing CKs so that another set can be made up by purchasing the BTK(4)s and using the CK that is already available (you have got them all, haven't you? :) )

'Other' BTK(4)s were the high-window variety, and could be found loose and in sets that were more regular visitors to the 'Withered Arm'.
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Chris in Prague

Many thanks. As always, that is very useful. Yes, I bought both original pairs of BR SR Green Maunsell BSK and CK coaches. 8-)

By the late 1950s, the Maunsell coaches were largely confined to local services in North Cornwall having been, largely, replaced by Bulleid ones on Waterloo services so I'm, really, only interested in the paired coach sets. However, a 'loose' one will, indeed, be useful.

Chris in Prague

I should add, here, my understanding of the sets I'm modelling:

NORTH CORNWALL COACH SETS

2P Maunsell
BSK+BCK

2R Bulleid
BSK (Semi)+BCK

3L Bulleid
BSK (Semi)+CK+BSK (Semi)

4S BR Standard
BSK+SK+CK+BSK

5H Bulleid
BSK (Semi)+SK+CK+SK+BSK (Semi)

6B BR Standard with Maunsell RB
BSK+TSO+RB+TSO+CK+BSK

SK Maunsell 'loose'

I do hope someone will produce a Maunsell RB (as rebuilt by BR SR), even as a set of coach sides, if not a 3D print.

Dorsetmike

The problem with sides for the Maunsell restaqurant is the recessed doors, don't know if the BR rebuild involved replacing these with flush doors. I model 1930s so I can use the Ironclad restaurant, Worsley works do etched sides for these.

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

talisman56

Quote from: Dorsetmike on September 24, 2017, 12:19:34 PM
The problem with sides for the Maunsell restaqurant is the recessed doors, don't know if the BR rebuild involved replacing these with flush doors. I model 1930s so I can use the Ironclad restaurant, Worsley works do etched sides for these.

From the looks of the one the Bluebell acquired, the BR rebuilding left the exterior profile relatively untouched...

http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/7864.html
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

dodger

Quote from: Chris in Prague on September 24, 2017, 09:51:05 AM
I should add, here, my understanding of the sets I'm modelling:

NORTH CORNWALL COACH SETS

2P Maunsell
BSK+BCK

2R Bulleid
BSK (Semi)+BCK

3L Bulleid
BSK (Semi)+CK+BSK (Semi)

4S BR Standard
BSK+SK+CK+BSK

5H Bulleid
BSK (Semi)+SK+CK+SK+BSK (Semi)

6B BR Standard with Maunsell RB
BSK+TSO+RB+TSO+CK+BSK

SK Maunsell 'loose'

I do hope someone will produce a Maunsell RB (as rebuilt by BR SR), even as a set of coach sides, if not a 3D print.

I thought the 4S sets only worked on Plymouth workings. The could easily has worked the North Cornwall when the SK was removed becoming 3K sets.

Dodger

Chris in Prague

Thanks for this, Talisman. I wonder if anyone has diagrams of the BR SR rebuilt Maunsell design RB cars? If so, would a 3D print be possible?

You're probably right, Dodger, but I have seen photos. of what look like 4S sets at Torrington right at the end of steam and I'm using 'Rule One' to have them running in North Cornwall, too, at the same time period.

Chris in Prague

As I doubt whether anyone will produce RTR Southern Railway or BR SR rebuild catering cars in RTR format to run with the Maunsell and Bulleid design passenger stock, I'm wondering if 3D printing of the Maunsell design catering cars might be economic? (I'm interested in a BR SR rebuilt Maunsell design RB car. But the original SR version might well be popular, too?)

dodger

Quote from: Chris in Prague on September 24, 2017, 02:52:17 PM
Thanks for this, Talisman. I wonder if anyone has diagrams of the BR SR rebuilt Maunsell design RB cars? If so, would a 3D print be possible?

You're probably right, Dodger, but I have seen photos. of what look like 4S sets at Torrington right at the end of steam and I'm using 'Rule One' to have them running in North Cornwall, too, at the same time period.
Apart from a few 4S sets that remained as long sets, 6 coaches or more, for buffet portions or cross country workings the SK was removed in 1963/4. It is of course possible that temporary formations were made after this.

Dodger

Chris in Prague

Quote from: dodger on September 25, 2017, 02:17:54 PM

Apart from a few 4S sets that remained as long sets, 6 coaches or more, for buffet portions or cross country workings the SK was removed in 1963/4. It is of course possible that temporary formations were made after this.

Dodger

Thank you, Dodger. I think the BR Standard sets photographed at Torrington at the end of steam may well have been three-coach sets then. That would suit me.

PaulinSouthMidlands

Hello Chris,

Bill Bedford did the Manusell Buffet Sides.

I bought one years ago as a "retirement" project, which now I guess I would now modify a Dapol Maunsell Coach to do.

I'm not sure what his current range but you might be able to contact him and ask him if he can do one. Possibly worth getting a second open to go with it?

Quote from: dodger on September 25, 2017, 02:17:54 PM

Dodger

Chris in Prague

Quote from: PaulinSouthMidlands on September 27, 2017, 08:43:39 PM
Hello Chris,

Bill Bedford did the Manusell Buffet Sides.

I bought one years ago as a "retirement" project, which now I guess I would now modify a Dapol Maunsell Coach to do.

I'm not sure what his current range but you might be able to contact him and ask him if he can do one. Possibly worth getting a second open to go with it?

Many thanks, Paul. I did not know that. Yes, converting a pair of Dapol Maunsell coaches would be the way to go. Unfortunately, they don't seem to come up secondhand on eBay!

Best wishes,
Chris

Chris in Prague

The company is now: http://www.mousa.biz/

No mention of 2MM though.

joe cassidy

Are Dapol ever likely to produce the Maunsell coaches in Southern Railway Bulleid green livery ?

I ask the question because I'm tempted to by a Schools class loco in this livery and I would like to have some coaches in matching livery.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Joe

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations