Dapol Maunsell coaches

Started by Dorsetmike, September 12, 2013, 08:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karhedron

Quote from: Bob G on July 20, 2017, 10:05:27 PM
In fact the only RTR pre nationalisation catering vehicle in British N gauge is the Gresley buffet, which thankfully also ran on SR and WR metals in 1950s and 60s. Doesn't help LMS, GWR or SR modellers, though.

Cost of production is always cited as reason why they are not made.

Cost boils down to a couple of related issues. Catering cars were usually only 1 per trains (although there were exceptions such as twin or even triplet sets which might include a kitchen car plus one or two dining cars). George Smith was right to point out that every steam train needs at least 1 brake coach but not every train needed a catering vehicle.

Another problem is the variety of catering vehicles produced. There were buffet cars, griddle cars, kitchen cars and dining cars. Most were produced in small numbers, often 10 or less in many cases making it hard for manufacturers to choose a single vehicle to model.

Bernie at TPM did offer kits to convert the Dapol B-set into the GWR H38, H39 and H40 catering vehicles and they work quite nicely but I am not sure if they are currently in production. Here is one I made earlier. ;)

Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Chris in Prague

A further problem is that BR rebuilt some pre-BR catering coaches as cafeteria or buffet cars. I believe this happened to some Maunsell design coaches, too, and I think these lasted into the 1960s. (I don't have my books, here.) The Bulleid Restaurant Kichen Buffet twins were, of course, rebuilt by BR SR quite quickly. One pair did work beyond Exeter on Summer Saturdays, although they may not have been staffed in North Cornwall. One holiday I must construct my pair.

Dorsetmike

I emailed Paul at Peedie models re Restaurant cars and open 3rds, this is part of his reply

QuoteThis sounds an interesting project, as I can see it could be made using brass etch for the coach sides and then 3D printed masters for making the moulds to cast the roof and end sections.  If we use a 3D printed roof we could find that over time it may warp causing it to come away from the ends of the carriage.  The interior could also be cast from resin using a 3D printed master as this would keep the cost down.

He says he has a few other projects ongoing at the moment and it will be a few weeks before he can do much on this, in the meantime he would be interested to know how much interest there might be for these vehicles i.e. Maunsell Restaurant cars and Maunsell open 3rds.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Chris in Prague

Quote from: Dorsetmike on July 23, 2017, 10:48:26 PM
I emailed Paul at Peedie models re Restaurant cars and open 3rds, this is part of his reply

QuoteThis sounds an interesting project, as I can see it could be made using brass etch for the coach sides and then 3D printed masters for making the moulds to cast the roof and end sections.  If we use a 3D printed roof we could find that over time it may warp causing it to come away from the ends of the carriage.  The interior could also be cast from resin using a 3D printed master as this would keep the cost down.

He says he has a few other projects ongoing at the moment and it will be a few weeks before he can do much on this, in the meantime he would be interested to know how much interest there might be for these vehicles i.e. Maunsell Restaurant cars and Maunsell open 3rds.
Thank you, Mike. Both coaches sound very interesting but I am not sure whether either would have ever appeared in North Cornwall in the 1960s?

Dorsetmike

Chris, probably the open 3rds, often used as strengtheners when an extra coach was needed at busy times.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Chris in Prague

Thanks, Mike. Then that's the one for me.

nobby

would be interesting to see if Dapol intend to do any box sets with locos for this range ,  a schools class set with maunsell coaches , i remember talking to someone on there stand about doing a schools in southern black livery   i just hate the habit of the random things turning up or not as the case maybe these extra coaches in the maunsell range that people are waiting for. have been waiting for art samples for a least 12 months and yet these will be properly be the best sellers in the range because of the numbers needed.

talisman56

Quote from: Dorsetmike on July 23, 2017, 10:48:26 PM

A bit of interest from this quarter...

Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Bob G

I would be interested if I knew what services the restaurant cars ran on and what period? I model early and mostly late crest. Bob

talisman56

Quote from: nobby on July 25, 2017, 08:40:20 AM
would be interesting to see if Dapol intend to do any box sets with locos for this range ,  a schools class set with maunsell coaches , i remember talking to someone on there stand about doing a schools in southern black livery   i just hate the habit of the random things turning up or not as the case maybe these extra coaches in the maunsell range that people are waiting for. have been waiting for art samples for a least 12 months and yet these will be properly be the best sellers in the range because of the numbers needed.

There has been some movement on this topic over at the Dapol Forum, there have been a couple of other projects that have taken a bit more time than they expected, but they are back on the case. They are expecting the livery samples for the 4-cpt BTK and BCK soon, and look to get things moving so that the production batches arrive just before Christmas.

They are proposing to produce a couple of individual BTK(4) vehicles with running numbers that match one of the existing CK vehicle; a full 3-set in a box; and a BCK, for each of the three existing liveries, viz: lined Olive Green, BR Crimson/Cream and BR(S) Green.

There is a full list of product numbers and running numbers but I won't publish here as it's not fully confirmed - indeed, my feedback has prompted them to change the proposed running number of the BR(S) Green BCK to one of the ones that ran in a 2P-set...

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0

talisman56

Quote from: Bob G on August 30, 2017, 02:13:03 PM
I would be interested if I knew what services the restaurant cars ran on and what period? I model early and mostly late crest. Bob

In their original livery and condition (they were much-modified after the war): Waterloo-Bournemouth-Weymouth and Waterloo-Salisbury-Exeter.

After the war, they were mainly converted to Buffet/Griddle cars so would appear on virtually any train on the SW section which needed a catering vehicle...

Bob G

Great
That's better than countless RMBs.
I think even I can spray green.
Bob

talisman56

Quote from: Bob G on August 30, 2017, 02:21:40 PM
Great
That's better than countless RMBs.
I think even I can spray green.
Bob

:smiley-laughing:

One thing about BR(S) Green - no fiddly lining...

Chris in Prague

Many thanks for this news. I've been waiting to complete my two 2P sets. If the production batches arrive just before Christmas, then my Christmas presents list is done! 8-)

I think the BTK(4) vehicles are not the type that ran in North Cornwall? I'll buy a full 3-set in a box, especially if it is a North Cornwall set; plus two BCKs in BR(S) Green to go with my existing two BTKs.

dodger

Quote from: Chris in Prague on August 30, 2017, 03:09:00 PM
Many thanks for this news. I've been waiting to complete my two 2P sets. If the production batches arrive just before Christmas, then my Christmas presents list is done! 8-)

I think the BTK(4) vehicles are not the type that ran in North Cornwall? I'll buy a full 3-set in a box, especially if it is a North Cornwall set; plus two BCKs in BR(S) Green to go with my existing two BTKs.

I believe they only worked to Plymouth or Ilfacombe on West of England service.

Dodger

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations