Dapol Maunsell coaches

Started by Dorsetmike, September 12, 2013, 08:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talisman56

Quote from: Chris in Prague on May 16, 2016, 04:30:44 PM
Many thanks. Very sad that Dapol still can't get it right when the reference books are not hard to find.

Or if they haven't got the books go cap-in-hand with their enquiries to the people that have been informing them of their previous inaccuracies...  ::)
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Chris in Prague

Quote from: talisman56 on May 16, 2016, 04:59:06 PM
Quote from: Chris in Prague on May 16, 2016, 04:30:44 PM
Many thanks. Very sad that Dapol still can't get it right when the reference books are not hard to find.

Or if they haven't got the books go cap-in-hand with their enquiries to the people that have been informing them of their previous inaccuracies...  ::)

Even sadder! 8-(((

longbow

Update on the additional Maunsell coaches from yesterday's Dapol digest:

"Hi, I am just putting together the final decoration details. For the first run we shall be producing both Maunsell and BR(S) Green livery. The 3rd. brake will be offered in a 3-car set, (I do like the picture posted by Matt of a three car set no. 392 on the S & D), whilst the composite brake will be as a single. We hope to have decorated samples before the end of the year. Once approved and a production slot allocated they should be available during early second quarter 2017, and to round off this series some high window versions will be considered for the future"

Previously Dapol have previewed a 4 compartment brake 3rd and a 6 compartment brake composite and a 3 car set (2 x 4 Compartment brake 3rd and 1 x composite).

These new coaches should be preceded by early BR livery versions of the current range.

Chris in Prague

That's very good news. I should, at last, be able to make up a 2P: BCK+BSK (Maunsell Brake Composite (Diagram 2401) + Maunsell 6-compartment Brake Third) (for my local trains in North Cornwall) in BR SR Green. Being able to make up another 2P in BR Crimson & Cream (I presume that is what is meant by early BR livery?) would be good, too.

Now, if only someone would make a Bulleid BCK!

talisman56

I would have thought that the two liveries that the BTK(4) and BCK will be released in would be the SR lined Olive Green and BR(S) Green. There are Crimson/Cream (aka 'Blood and Custard') versions of the original vehicles in the offing, but nothing has been said (yet) about putting the new brakes in that livery.
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Bob G

Crimson cream versions of the current Maunsell low window stock has arrived in the Liverpool Emporium. My bank account has just been emptied for a rake of these.

The coach numbers of the Brake Third, Third and First class coaches are effectively the Victoria-Newhaven boat train. Slip an old Farish wooden Pullman in as a stand in for the Pullman coaches that they used to include in this train and there you have it.

Now where is my Worsley Works Booster Etch.   ???   Its got a proper train to pull now (or the black Schools class perhaps)

Bob

Chris in Prague

Thanks, Bob. I was not expecting the BR Crimson & Cream versions of the current Maunsell low window stock so soon. Now, I have to decide whether to buy just one pair or two! (I presume there will be pairs with different running numbers as with the BR Green ones?)

Bob G

Chris

Yes there are two of each type.

The brake thirds, thirds and firsts all ran in the Newhaven boat train as loose stock - no set numbers, so you can buy any number of them. The boat train was from five to twelve coaches in length. Jeff Eastmond on the Dapol Digest clarified how they ran: S4481 and S4482 were Brake Seconds for the Newhaven Boat service. They did become Brake Thirds in 1954 when they were downrated, but they were then renumbered (2772/73) and by then would have had the later version of the C/C livery with the narrower upper Crimson stripe. Underlined coach numbers are the ones produced. I've only done this on one of the rakes - because the thick crimson band modelled was used in that era. I am sure modellers will use them if they are modelling the early era, or even mixed with green stock as I do.
1948 - 1954     Stock selected from BSK-TK-SK-SK-FK-FK-PullF-FK-SK-SK-TK-BSK       4481   2352   4483   4484   7668   7669   Pullman 7670 4485 4486 2353 4482
1954 - 1956     Stock selected from BTK-TK-TK-TK-FK-FK-PullF-FK-TK-TK-TK-BTK           2772   2352   1921   1922   7668   7669   Pullman 7670 1923 1924 2353 2773

The two composites ran in the 3-car sets (set 392 and 397) with the awaited four compartment brake thirds. it seems Dapol are banking on these 3 car sets (which they are going to sell in 3-coach sets) and the BCKs which are to be sold singly as their Atlantic Coast Express (ACE) coaches to be sold with/for the new BB/WC.

Hope this helps
Bob

Chris in Prague

Thanks, Bob, for that quick and informative reply. If I understand correctly, then, none of these ones ran in the West Country but I should wait for the 3-coach sets and the BCKs which are to be sold singly as their Atlantic Coast Express (ACE) coaches rather than buy any of these individual coaches?

Bob G

Hi Chris

Yes, the two crimson and cream composites out currently are from 3-car sets which were used on Waterloo-West of England routes.
As far as I know, Dapol are going to bring out 3-car sets in SR olive and BR(S) green first, but probably only one set in each colour.

All I can be sure of is there is a ready market for Maunsell coaches on EBay, as I sold two six-compartment brakes in a flash, so if you bought the C/C CKs and then got them replicated in a set later, you could easily sell one on.

HTH
Bob

Chris in Prague

Many thanks, Bob, for your quick and informative reply. I'm aware of the following Maunsell 2P Sets in BR Crimson & Cream in North Cornwall, at Padstow: 22 and 27, early 1950s; 23 at Bodmin North, 1952 (1935 Brake Third S2792S plus Brake Composite S6575S); and 24?, 1950s. (Set 24 retained S238S and S6602S throughout. Survived until July 1964.) So, I have to decide whether to buy the two crimson and cream composites out currently (which are from 3-car sets which were used on Waterloo-West of England routes but, before my modelling period, I think) or to wait until the correct Maunsell Brake Thirds and Brake Composites are out for the West of England 2Ps (Sets 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, and 29) and ignore the Composites as I was not planning to model the Maunsell 3-car sets, just the Bulleid and BR Standard coach ones.      

longbow

Dapol have just confirmed that the new variants are not affected by recent project deferrals and are due this summer.

Bob G

I had hoped for this news, but did not dare ask.

Karhedron

That is something although I am still sad I won't be getting a Light Pacific to haul them. Looks like my Standard 5 will be pulling them instead.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Chris in Prague

That's excellent news, many thanks. I presume that means that the missing BR SR Green Maunsell Brake Composites to make up my 2 North Cornwall 2Ps will be coming. They will look fine behind my Graham Farish Bulleid Light Pacifics, my Graham Farish 'N' 2-6-0, my Dapol M7 (substituting for the lack of an RTR 02) or, prototypically, one of my Dapol Ivatt 2-6-2Ts or my Graham Farish 3MT 2-6-2T or one of my Graham Farish 4MT 2-6-4Ts. 8-)

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations